Aug 15, 2018  
2008-2009 Undergraduate Bulletin 
2008-2009 Undergraduate Bulletin [Archived Bulletin]

Academic Standards and Policies

Click on any of the following links for information:

Each student is personally responsible for following the procedures and meeting the requirements of the university as set forth in the Bulletin. Hamline University undergraduate students ordinarily fulfill the Bulletin requirements in effect at the time they first enter Hamline; however, they may choose to meet the requirements of any subsequent Bulletin published during their enrollment. Students who interrupt enrollment for more than one academic year must fulfill the Bulletin requirements in effect at the time of reentry/readmission, or they may opt to fulfill the requirements published in the last previous Bulletin. Only with the written approval of the appropriate department chairperson or program director can students elect to fulfill the requirements of any previous Bulletin. The department chairperson or program director assists with this choice and ensures that such changes are officially recorded with Registration and Records.

Students must choose major, minor, and certificate requirements from the same Bulletin (catalog year).

Graduation Requirements: The Hamline Plan


The following 14 sections list the Hamline University undergraduate graduation requirements. Successful completion of these requirements results in a Bachelor of Arts or Bachelor of Science degree. Requirements for transfer students, if they are different, are noted within each section in italic print. Other than where specified, Hamline Plan requirements can be fulfilled by transfer coursework.

The Hamline Plan requirements do not constitute a set number of courses. Courses that fulfill Hamline Plan categories are designated with the appropriate Hamline Plan code letter(s) on class schedules, available online at or Grades of D- or higher are required in order to receive Hamline Plan designations. All students are responsible for understanding the Hamline graduation requirements. Contact the Registration and Records office or the Center for Academic Services for clarification on any of the graduation requirements.

  1. First-Year Seminar (FYSem)
    All new first-year students of traditional age (will be 20 or younger during the entire first semester of enrollment) are required to take a first-year seminar in the first semester of attendance. First-year students who transfer Post-Secondary Enrollment Options (PSEO) work are not exempt from this requirement. Students may not drop or withdraw from the first-year seminar nor complete it on a Pass/No Pass grading basis.

    Transfer students are exempt from this requirement unless special circumstances are determined in the admissions process.

  2. Expository Writing (E)
    This requirement is generally fulfilled by ENG 1110: Writing and Reading Texts, which must be completed during the first year at Hamline. Students who receive AP or IB English composition credit must still register for English 1110 or a writing-intensive FYSem. The AP or IB English credits count for credit toward the degree, but Hamline faculty members believe writing is an essential skill and thus require a first-year college-writing experience. Please note that Hamline University’s ENG 1110 also counts as a disciplinary breadth course in the Humanities (“H”).

    If you are granted credit for a PSEO or CIS (College in the Schools) English composition course, this will generally satisfy your first-year writing requirement. However, you are encouraged to enroll in a writing-intensive FYSem to continue developing your college writing skills. If you have taken college courses through a PSEO program, you must have your transcript sent to Hamline to be evaluated for transferability. Do not register for Hamline courses that you will be transferring as a result of PSEO coursework. You will not receive credit for courses that are repeated.

  3. Writing Intensive (T)
    Writing-intensive courses must be taken at Hamline, and a minimum of one writing-intensive course is required each year a student is in attendance. For students who begin as first-year students at Hamline, ENG 1110 is considered the writing-intensive course for the first year and one writing-intensive (“T”) course is required each subsequent year. (For students who begin at Hamline during the fall term, fall/spring is considered a year of attendance. For students who begin at Hamline during the spring term, spring/fall is considered a year of attendance.) Students who do not complete a writing-intensive course during a year may complete an extra writing-intensive course the following year (no petition approval is necessary).

    One writing-intensive course is required within the major department; if double majors are declared, one in each major department must be completed.

    Exception: Students enrolled in a Hamline-approved off-campus program for a full year do not have to complete a writing-intensive course for that year.

    Transfer students do not transfer writing-intensive courses to Hamline; however, one per year in attendance at Hamline is required. Transfer students needing six full-time (minimum of 12 credits) semesters to complete the Hamline degree must complete three writing-intensive courses in addition to satisfying the Expository Writing (“E”) requirement. Transfer students needing four or five full-time (minimum of 12 credits) semesters to complete the Hamline degree must complete two writing-intensive courses in addition to satisfying the Expository Writing (“E”) requirement. Transfer students needing fewer than four full-time (minimum of 12 credits) semesters to complete the Hamline degree must complete one writing-intensive course (and are encouraged to complete two) in addition to satisfying the Expository Writing (“E”) requirement. Transfer students who complete summer classes to accelerate graduation are not exempt from the above requirements.

  4. Speaking Intensive (O)
    Two speaking-intensive courses are required. These can be taken at any time and in any academic department.

    Transfer students who transfer fewer than 64 semester credits are required to take two speaking-intensive courses. One speaking-intensive course can be transferred to Hamline; one must be taken at Hamline. Students transferring as juniors (64 or more semester credits) are required to take only one speaking-intensive course, but it must be taken at Hamline.

  5. Computer Intensive (C) One computer-intensive course is required. It can be taken at any time in any department. It is recommended that it be taken in the major department if possible.

  6. Formal Reasoning (R)
    One formal reasoning course is required. Formal reasoning courses can usually be found in Mathematics, Management & Economics, Philosophy, and Psychology.

  7. Disciplinary Breadth
    Two courses (typically four credits each) are required in each disciplinary breadth discipline below for a total of eight courses. Once a student has matriculated at Hamline, any remaining disciplinary breadth requirements must be taken on Hamline’s campus. Note: Courses taken through the ACTC exchange program may not be used to fulfill these requirements.

    Fine Arts (F) Two fine arts four-credit courses are required. Music performance, ensemble, or music lessons fine arts courses that are fewer than four credits must be taken enough times to equal eight credits in order to fulfill the fine arts requirement. Fine arts courses can usually be found in Studio Art, Art History, Music, Theatre Arts, and Anthropology. Three-credit transfer courses may satisfy one fine arts requirement.

    Humanities (H) Two humanities courses are required. Humanities courses can usually be found in English, Modern Languages, Philosophy, and Religion.

    Natural Science (N) Two natural science courses that include labs are required. Courses in Biology, Chemistry, and Physics all have year-long introductory sequences for majors (see course descriptions for sequencing). These three departments, as well as Anthropology, offer nonmajor science courses. Students who have had the appropriate science background in high school are eligible to take the science major courses.

    Social Science (S) Two social science courses are required. Social Science courses can usually be found in Anthropology, Communication Studies, Education, History, Legal Studies, Management & Economics, Political Science, Psychology, and Sociology.

  8. Cultural Breadth (G, I, L)
    There are three categories of cultural breadth: G, I, and L. Students must take a total of three separate cultural breadth courses, from at least two different cultural breadth categories. (Note: If one course covers two cultural breadth categories, it may only be used to satisfy one cultural breadth requirement.)

    (G) Gender, race, age, class, minority ethnic identity, ability, sexual orientation
    (I) International issues
    (L) Language and culture studies, sign language, study abroad
  9. Individual Ability in Learning (Q)
    One individual ability in learning course is required. Courses designated with a Q can be used to fulfill this requirement. An independent study, honors project, advanced seminar, or collaborative research project may also be used. Although this requirement is typically fulfilled by one of the ways listed, it is possible for a student (with the written agreement of a faculty member) to attach this requirement to any course, project, or internship. Courses using the personalized system of instruction (PSI) do not fulfill this requirement.

    Transfer students fulfill this requirement at Hamline under the direction of a Hamline faculty member.

  10. LEAD: Leadership, Education, and Development (W)
    One LEAD experience is required, but students are strongly encouraged to take more. This requirement provides a way to explore the connections among the liberal arts and work. Some ways the LEAD requirement may be fulfilled include traditional internships; LEAD (W) classes; LEAD-approved apprentice teaching, servicelearning, collaborative research, or international internships; all HECUA (Higher Education Consortium for Urban Affairs) internships; and LEAD-approved student initiated and designed projects. All LEAD work must be done in consultation with a faculty member.

    Transfer students fulfill this requirement at Hamline under the direction of a Hamline faculty member.

  11. Major Requirements
    A major is a field of concentration, ranging from 32-74 credits, depending on its requirements. At least 16 credits in a student’s major must be taken at Hamline. A major must be declared by the end of the sophomore year. Students must be aware of the requirements for their major as outlined in the Hamline Bulletin and are expected to meet the major requirements that are in effect at the time they declare. Grades of C- or higher are required for all major courses, and the GPA for all major courses together must average 2.0 or better. Undergraduate program sheets listing requirements for each major are available at

    Transfer students must take at least 16 credits in their major at Hamline. Transfer students must meet with a faculty advisor upon arrival at Hamline to determine the transferability of their major courses. Written approval of major courses by the advisor is recommended as soon as possible after the first advising appointment. Advisors approving transfer work have the right to ask the student for course descriptions and have the option to defer the decision to the department chair.

    Hamline Majors (degree awarded is noted):

    American Law and Legal Systems (Law School Early Admissions Program) (BA)
    Anthropology (BA)
    Art (BA)
    Art History (BA)
    Biochemistry (BS)
    Biology (BS or BA)
    Chemistry (BS or BA)
    Communication Studies (BA)
    Criminal Justice (BA)
    East Asian Studies (BA)
    Economics (BA)
    English (BA)
    Environmental Studies (BA)
    Exercise and Sports Science (BA)
    French (BA)
    German (BA)
    Global Studies (BA)
    History (BA)
    International Management (BA)
    Latin American Studies (BA)
    Legal Studies (BA)
    Management (BA)
    Mathematics (BS or BA)
    Music (BA)
    Philosophy (BA)
    Physical Education (BA)
    Physics (BS or BA)
    Political Science (BA)
    Psychology (BA)
    Religion (BA)
    Social Justice (BA)
    Social Studies (BA)
    Sociology (BA)
    Spanish (BA)
    Theatre Arts (BA)
    Urban Studies (BA)
    Women’s Studies (BA)

    Individually designed majors can be developed by students who have other needs and goals, if the courses are available (see Flexible Curriculum Option). Hamline offers minors in most of the above categories as well as African-American Studies, Computer Science, Conflict Studies, and Education. See for a list of all majors and minors.

    Certificate programs are available in Conflict Studies, Forensic Sciences, International Journalism, and Paralegal Studies.

    Double Degrees

    The double degree is the concurrent awarding of two different baccalaureate degree types (B.A. and B.S.). If a student completes two majors within one degree type, he/she will be awarded a double major (one degree with two majors), not two degrees regardless of the number of credits earned. (See Double Majors below.) A double degree may not be earned with the same major (such as B.A. and B.S. in Physics). Following the conferral of both degrees, the student will receive two diplomas.

    A Hamline University student may earn two different degrees if the following criteria are met:

    • Degree types must be different

    • At least 140 credits must be completed

    • Both sets of degree requirements must be fulfilled before either degree is awarded

    Subsequent Degrees

    Some students decide to return to their studies after they have received their first baccalaureate degree. A student returning to Hamline University to complete a second baccalaureate degree must apply for admission and meet admission criteria for that degree. Once a degree is conferred, a student may not return to add a minor to that degree.

    To receive a second baccalaureate degree, a student must complete (1) all degree requirements not satisfied by the previous degree and (2) a minimum of 12 additional credits taken in residence at Hamline University. Coursework seven or more years old approved by the academic department might apply toward the second baccalaureate degree. A student returning to complete a second baccalaureate degree is not eligible to participate in commencement.

    Double Majors

    A double major is the awarding of one degree with two majors. A student must declare both majors and fulfill all requirements of each in addition to satisfying all university requirements. Double majors must be between departments leading to the same degree. Following the conferral of the degree, the student transcript will note one baccalaureate degree with two majors.

    Students pursuing two majors must:

    • complete a writing-intensive (“T”) course in both major departments.

    • have at least four unique courses in both majors or four unique courses in the concentration if one or both majors are interdisciplinary.

    • complete 84 credits outside both major departments-in these cases, each major will usually count outside the other.

    Majors Available within the Associated Colleges of the Twin Cities (ACTC)

    A major that Hamline does not offer may be completed at any of the other four ACTC colleges if it is obviously within the liberal arts tradition (examples are classics at the University of St. Thomas or geology at Macalester College). Additionally, a major of up to eight specialized courses with a specific career orientation may be completed at one of the other ACTC colleges provided the student also has an appropriate liberal arts major at Hamline. Students who wish to complete a major at another ACTC college must submit a flexible curriculum major proposal to the Academic Affairs Committee. The form is available at

    Flexible Curriculum Option
    The flexible curriculum option is offered for students who wish to develop a major or minor that is unique to their needs, but which satisfies the spirit and intent of Hamline’s graduation requirements. Such a major or minor might involve a coherent interdepartmental sequence of courses that addresses a particular topic or theme.

    The flexible curriculum option requires the approval of an appropriate Hamline faculty advisor and the Academic Affairs Committee. Students should be prepared to state why their proposal is important to their program or educational intellectual development. Flexible curriculum proposal forms can be obtained in the Registration and Records office or at and must be approved no later than the end of the junior year.

  12. Minor Requirements
    A minor is not required to graduate from Hamline although many students take advantage of the opportunity to complete minors. Most minors require five or six courses. Students completing a minor that is similar to their major must have at least three unique courses in the minor that are not used in the major or interdisciplinary major concentration. Multiple minors with overlapping course work must also have three unique courses in each minor. Grades of C- or higher are required for all minor courses, and the GPA for all minor courses together must average 2.0 or better.

    Transfer students must seek approval from their minor department chair for transfer work to apply toward a Hamline minor.

  13. Breadth of Study Requirement
    (credits outside the major department)

    Students must complete a total of 84 credits outside of their major department. These credits can come from any course that does not have the designation of their major department.

    Majors that require supporting courses from other departments may count those courses toward the breadth of study requirement. Interdisciplinary majors usually have an area of concentration. The concentration courses and any courses that have the designation of the major department are counted as inside the major; supporting courses from other departments count as outside the major for the purposes of the breadth of study requirement. When completing an interdisciplinary major that does not have a concentration, all courses not from the major department and all courses not specified as required will count toward breadth of study.

    If students choose to take courses that are within their major department but are not going to use them toward their major, these will not count toward the breadth of study requirement. Students completing double majors must have 84 credits outside each major department. In these cases, each major will usually count outside the other.

  14. Residency Credits-128 Semester Credits
    All Hamline students are required to complete a minimum of 128 credits to graduate and obtain a minimum cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 2.0. Students are allowed to accumulate a maximum of 34 residency credits per academic year and a maximum of 8 residency credits in a summer. Students may take additional non-residency credits during the academic year that will apply toward all other requirements except residency credits (see “Residency Credit Policy” below for more information).

    Students who do not complete the allowed 34 residency credits during an academic year at Hamline may take extra residency credits in the following years to make up for the lost credit.

    The last 32 residency credits-and at least 56 total residency credits-must be completed at Hamline or within the ACTC exchange, Hamline approved off-campus programs, or HECUA.

    Transfer students can consider courses transferred to Hamline as residency credit. A minimum of 56 residency credits at Hamline (or within the ACTC exchange) is required to graduate. Sixty residency credits graded A-F are required to be eligible for Latin honors at graduation.

Other Academic Standards and Policies


(Note: Changes in the following standards and policies may go into effect periodically. The following are policies that apply specifically to undergraduate students; however, additional Hamline University policies apply as well. Visit for more information.)

  1. Academic Calendar
    The 2008-2009 Academic Calendar can be found in the front of the Bulletin. Please note that this calendar is subject to change. Please check for the latest information.

    Hamline follows a 4-1-4 academic calendar. During each of the 15-week fall and spring terms a student has a normal schedule of four 4-credit courses. Students have the option of taking one 4-credit course in the one-month winter term. In a nine-month academic year a student typically completes 32 semester credits. New students normally begin classes in either the fall or spring term. The calendar offers flexibility in curriculum planning and opens the way for the student to combine a variety of off-campus experiences with classroom learning. Many students have used the winter term for independent study projects requiring off-campus study, or for study abroad.

    Summer session is considered separate from the regular academic year. During summer, two four-week terms and an overlapping ten-week term are scheduled. Summer study at Hamline enables students to make up credits, accelerate progress toward their degrees, take courses that might be difficult to schedule in a regular term, or take advantage of reduced summer tuition.

    Students should consult the summer term Web site at for further information.

  2. Academic Integrity and the Hamline University Academic Honor Code Every member of the Hamline University community- students, faculty, administrators, and staff-is responsible for upholding the highest standards of academic integrity at all times. The assumption that academic work is an honest reflection of one’s knowledge and skills is fundamental to the integrity and to the value of a Hamline diploma.

    Hamline University students are expected to comply with the Academic Honor Code. Dishonesty of any kind in relation to academic work threatens the integrity of the academic enterprise and is subject to disciplinary action by the university. Disciplinary action can include failure for an assignment, failure for the class, or suspension from the university.

    Academic dishonesty includes cheating, plagiarizing, making multiple submissions, fabricating information, using materials in an unauthorized manner, misrepresenting academic records (including forgery), and facilitating academic dishonesty in others. The Academic Honor Code and student conduct policies are available online at

  3. Academic Load The normal program of study consists of 32 credits distributed annually over fall, winter, and spring terms. Additional credits may be added on a space-available basis, which will meet all requirements other than the residency requirement (see “Residency Credit Policy”).

    The maximum credit load allowed is 20 credits in the fall or spring terms, 5 credits in the winter term, and 8 credits in the summer term. (Exception: registration in a 0.5 credit science or mathematics seminar (5000-level) is allowed beyond the maximum credit load.)

  4. Accreditation Hamline University is accredited by the Commission on Institutions of Higher Education of the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools. The Commission is located at 30 North LaSalle Street, Suite 2400, Chicago, Illinois 60602-2504 and can be reached at 312-263-0456 or 800-621-7440.

    Hamline University is also accredited by the:

    • American Bar Association

    • Association of American Law Schools

    • American Chemical Society

    • National Association of Schools of Music

    • National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education

    • University Senate of the United Methodist Church

    • Minnesota Department of Education/Board of Teaching

    The university holds memberships in the:

    • Association of American Colleges and Universities

    • Association of Graduate Liberal Studies Programs

    • Association of Independent Liberal Arts Colleges for Teacher Education

    • American Association of Colleges for Teacher Education

    • American Association of Collegiate Registrars and Admission Officers

    • American Association of Higher Education

    • Associated New American Colleges

    • American Council on Education

    • College Board of Council for Advancement and Support of Education

    • Minnesota Association of Colleges for Teacher Education

    • National Association for College Admission Counseling

    • National Council on Undergraduate Research

    Hamline University is approved for attendance of non-immigrant foreign students under the Immigration and Nationality Act.

  5. Adding, Dropping, and Withdrawing from Courses
    The deadlines for adding and dropping courses are listed on the annual academic calendar at The last day to withdraw from fall and spring term courses is about four weeks before the last day of classes. Students who withdraw from courses prior to that date receive a grade of W. Registrations dropped during the first two weeks of fall or spring term and the first two days of winter and summer terms are not permanently recorded. For partialterm classes, add, drop, and withdraw dates are adjusted accordingly. For information related to withdrawal from Hamline University, please see Leave of Absence or Withdrawal from the College (section T) below.

  6. Attendance
    Students are expected to attend the first class meeting of a course for which they are registered. The instructor may deny admittance to students who do not attend the first class; however, the student is still responsible to drop the class with the Registration and Records office (Law/Grad 113). Thereafter, students are responsible to their instructors for class attendance and for all required work in each course, including work missed because of absence. In dealing with class absences, the instructor may require make-up or additional work; may lower the student’s final grade in the course; or may advise the student to withdraw.

    Students are not permitted to attend classes for which they are not registered.
  7. Classification and Status of Students
    First-Year status: 0 to 31.99 credits
    Sophomore status: 32.00 to 63.99 credits
    Junior status: 64.00 to 95.99 credits
    Senior status: 96 credits and above

    Full-time status for Hamline undergraduate students is defined as a minimum of 12 semester credits per fall or spring term; half-time status is defined as a minimum of 6 semester credits per term.

  8. Commencement
    One commencement ceremony is held each year at the end of the spring term to honor Hamline graduates. Candidates for a degree are to be present at these exercises unless excused by the Dean of the College.

    Seniors who complete degree requirements with the exception of two or fewer 4-credit courses remaining may participate in commencement only with approval of the registrar. All requirements for the degree must be completed before the beginning of the first day of class of the following academic year.

    Clearance of all financial obligations is essential in order to receive a diploma. Diplomas are distributed within six to eight weeks following commencement.

  9. Course and Credit Value
    The standard unit of credit is the credit. The majority of classes carry a value of 4 credits. Some courses are valued at 0.5, 1, or 2 credits, and that value is indicated on schedules and class listings.

    Academic credit is a measure of the total minimum time commitment required of a typical student in a particular course of study. Total time consists of various components: time spent in scheduled course activities organized by an instructor (lectures, discussions, workbooks, videotapes, laboratories, studios, fieldwork, etc.); time spent in group activities related to course requirements; and time spent reading, studying, problem solving, writing, and otherwise preparing for the course.

    For purposes of transferring credits, 6 quarter credits or 1 term credit is equivalent to 4 credits. Quarter credits may be converted into credits by dividing the number of quarter credits by 1.5 (or multiplying by 0.667). Term credits may be converted into credits by multiplying the number of term credits by 4. Applicants transferring credits should check with the Office of Undergraduate Admission to determine credit equivalence. Once application acceptance has occurred, check with Registration and Records to confirm credit equivalence.

  10. Course Evaluations
    All students are expected to participate in the online course evaluation process that the College of Liberal Arts and School of Business administer. Students should consider course evaluations to be part of the work of the course, just like exams and assignments. Individual professors, the Faculty Personnel Committee, and the Dean’s office staff read these evaluations carefully and make personnel decisions and curricular changes as a result of student feedback.

  11. Course Numbers and Course Types
    The first digit of each course number indicates the course level. The criteria for determining course levels are:
    1XXX: introductory level courses
    3XXX: intermediate level courses primarily intended for sophomores, juniors, and seniors
    5XXX: advanced level courses primarily intended for juniors and seniors. Most 5000-level courses have prerequisites
    1. ACTC (Associated Colleges of the Twin Cities) Cross-Registration Exchange Program (Course numbers vary) Hamline students who wish to register for courses during the regular academic year under the cross-registration exchange program with Augsburg, Macalester, College of St. Catherine, and University of St. Thomas may do so in the Student Administrative Services office (Law/Grad 113). This process takes place during the stated registration periods. To participate, Hamline students must be full-time, BA or BS degree-seeking students and may enroll in one course per term as long as it is not offered at Hamline during the same term. Courses taken through ACTC may not be used to fulfill Hamline’s disciplinary breadth requirements. Consult Student Administrative Services (Law/Grad 113) for specific policy information.

      All courses taken under this program are considered to be Hamline courses, provided the work is relevant to a Hamline degree, and are recorded on the student’s Hamline record. Credits and grades earned are included in the calculation of the grade point average. The ACTC exchange program is not in effect for summer school classes. For further information, please see

    2. Apprentice Teaching
      (Course number 4030) Students may earn up to 4 apprentice teaching credits, graded on the Pass/No Pass system. Apprentice teachers assist faculty with their teaching responsibilities. Registration forms are available in the Student Administrative Services office (Law/Grad 113) or at and are due by the last day to add classes in the term of registration.

    3. Collaborative Research
      (Course number 4010, or as designated by a specific department)
      Collaborative research projects offer students the chance to pursue independent study in greater depth with a faculty member, often in conjunction with the professor’s own research. These projects are commonly precursors to Departmental Honors. Proposal forms are available in the Student Administrative Services office (Law/Grad 113) or at and are due by the last day to add classes in the term of registration.

    4. Departmental Honors
      (Course number 5010, or as designated by a specific department)
      Departmental Honors study is available to selected students. Refer to Departmental Honors at Graduation (section R below).

    5. Independent Study
      (Course numbers 1970, 3970, 5970)
      An independent study project is designed by the student to pursue an area of study not covered by the established curriculum. Independent study projects are designated with the course numbers 1970, 3970, or 5970 and are graded on the A-F scale. They are usually registered in a designated academic department but can be taken for interdisciplinary credit (INTD) if listed as such on the proposal form. All independent studies done for credit fulfill the Individual Ability in Learning requirement (Q) of the Hamline Plan.

      Students are expected to describe in advance the questions they propose to investigate or goals they hope to achieve, what they intend to do to carry out these investigations or achieve these goals, and the criteria for evaluating the results. Offered without class attendance and with a minimum of formal supervision by an instructor, independent study is important in the educational program at Hamline because it enables students to use critical tools they have developed in investigating areas not covered by the regular curriculum.

      Independent studies normally carry 4 credits. Students are expected to do the equivalent amount of work for 4 credits, usually involving 80-120 hours. Proposal forms are available in the Student Administrative Services office (Law/Grad 113) or at and are due by the last day to add classes in the term of registration.

    6. Individual Study (Course numbers are as designated in the curriculum section)

      If a class is not offered during the term the student needs to take it, students may take the class on an individual study basis with instructor permission. Instructors work individually with students to complete the coursework.

      Individual study requires instructor approval; however, instructors are not obligated to teach their classes in this format. Individual study is graded on the A-F letter grading system. Forms are available in the Student Administrative Services office (Law/Grad 113) or at and are due by the last day to add classes in the term of registration.

    7. Internships
      (Course numbers 3960, 3990, or 5990)

      Internships are student planned and directed learning experiences that provide opportunities to integrate academic, professional, and personal skill development. The internship program provides students with supervised, meaningful work in a professional setting. Every approved internship requires a minimum of 120 hours (150 hours for Legal Studies internships) of work at the internship work site and completion of academic and reflective work done under the supervision of Hamline faculty. Students must submit a LEAD Learning Agreement (LLA) to the Career Development Center (CDC) by its designated due date for all registered internships.

      Students may opt to complete one of two types of internships:

      a. Individual Internships: Internships that are completed by students independent of a seminar or practicum class. Students may register for a 4-credit or non-credit internship. All registered internships fulfill the LEAD requirement (“W”) of the Hamline Plan. Individual internships are graded using the designation HP (high pass), P (pass), or N (no credit). These grades are not calculated in the GPA. With instructor permission, a student may opt to be graded on the A-F grading scale by indicating this choice on the LEAD Learning Agreement form. (The form must be submitted by the due date in order to use the A-F grading scale.)

      b. Seminar or practicum classes: Internships that are completed as part of a seminar or practicum class. These courses satisfy major, minor, or certificate requirements. A total of 4 credits are granted for the internship and the seminar class combined. The seminar or practicum courses may have a different course number designated by the department in which it is offered. Please refer to the departments’ curricular offerings for more information.

      Registration for an internship is due by the last day to add classes for that term. In order to receive credit, a LEAD Learning Agreement must be completed and filed with the Career Development Center by the LLA due date. Learning agreements and assistance with the internship process are available at the Career Development Center, Drew Science Room 113. No more than 12 internship credits can be applied toward a degree. All internship credits are considered to be interdisciplinary credits (INTD) unless approved for major credit by a department chair.

    8. Special Topics Courses
      (Course numbers 1980, 3980, 5980)

      Courses designated with these numbers are Special Topics and are not part of the regular College curriculum. A student’s major or minor advisor or department chair must grant permission to use Special Topics courses toward major or minor requirements.

      Any academic department may offer topics courses; they are generally new or experimental courses. A Special Topics course can be offered two times before it must be approved through the undergraduate faculty to become a standard part of the curriculum and awarded its own course number.

  12. Course Prerequisites and Schedules
    Many courses require previous coursework (e.g. MATH 3560, Modern Geometry, has a prerequisite of MATH 1180, Calculus II). Prerequisites are listed with each course description in the Bulletin and on the Piperline online schedule.

    Course schedules are available to students through the Hamline Web site at and at Where course descriptions and prerequisites differ between an online course description and the printed Bulletin, the online version takes precedence.

  13. Coursework Taken at Other Institutions
    A student registered at Hamline in a degree program should consult his or her advisor and the Registration and Records office to obtain a Course Substitution/Prior Approval for Transfer Credit form before enrolling for academic work at another institution. The form is also available at The purpose of this consultation is to gain assurance in advance that the proposed study will be accepted for transfer to Hamline. In some cases, credits transferred to Hamline may be applicable to graduation requirements. The chair of the major department must approve academic work to be credited toward the major.

    Hamline will accept course credit provided the work is graded C- or better and is relevant to a Hamline degree. Credit in narrowly vocational courses is not transferable.

    Nursing, mental health, chemical dependency, law enforcement, military, and other focused professional program credits are transferable up to a limit of 32 credits if the course content is suitable for a liberal arts program. Consult the Registration and Records office for details.

    A transfer student who chooses to retake a Hamline course that is equivalent to a course accepted for transfer credit may do so on an audit or zero-credit basis. The student may request the repeat only for the purpose of ensuring competency in a foreign language or other discipline before enrolling in continuation courses, and no additional credit or grade point average impact will result.

    Grade points earned at another institution are not transferable to Hamline. In other words, coursework grades from other institutions will not affect the Hamline GPA with the following exceptions:

    (1) courses taken through the ACTC exchange program including the ACTC/University of Minnesota Language Program; (2) all courses sponsored by the Upper Midwest Association for Intercultural Education (UMAIE) during the winter term; (3) integral Hamline programs sponsored by other institutions. This applies only to work taken while registered as a degree-seeking Hamline student.

    Transcripts and other documents submitted from other institutions and agencies are the property of Hamline University and will not be reissued to applicants, students, alumni, or other parties.

  14. Dean’s List
    The Dean’s List policy in this Bulletin applies to all students regardless of matriculation term. The Dean’s List recognition at the end of either fall or spring term is based on the following criteria:

    • a term GPA of 3.500 or higher;

    • satisfactory completion of at least 16 credits;

    • a minimum of 16 credits graded on the A-F scale.

    Courses that are graded HP/P/N will not be counted towards the 16 credits needed to make the Dean’s List. A student is excluded from the Dean’s List if an N or F or I grade is received. Courses taken in January (winter term) or during the summer do not count toward the required credits for either fall or spring term.

  15. Final Examinations
    Final examinations are held at the end of each term according to a schedule established by the Registration and Records office. No final examination may be taken before the regularly scheduled time. Students are not required to take more than two final exams per day in any given term. Students who are scheduled to take more than two final exams on the same day should show their student class schedule to their instructors, and instructors will make reasonable accommodations to adjust the student’s exam dates.

  16. Four-Year Assurance of Graduation
    First-year students at Hamline University may enter into a partnership with the institution to ensure completion of their bachelor’s degree within four years. The student and the university share the responsibility for the success of this endeavor. Should Hamline fail to meet its responsibilities and provided the student fulfilled her/his responsibilities, the College will provide the additional course or courses needed to complete the degree in the following academic year-at no additional tuition cost.*

    A college education requires significant individual responsibility on the part of students. Hamline has in place a proven system of support to facilitate student choice and aid in the attainment of student intellectual development and educational goals. The Hamline Plan, faculty advisors, and academic and student services help students develop and find success in a four year-time frame. The Four-Year Assurance of Graduation does not apply to transfer students.

    Student Responsibilities

    • Each year students successfully complete 32 semester credits.

    • Students must satisfactorily earn at least a 2.00 GPA each term (passing all major courses with grades of C- or better).

    • Students must consult with faculty advisors on a regular basis to ensure the timely completion of requirements.

    • Students must declare a degree major by the end of the sophomore year** and work in a timely fashion to complete Bulletin stated requirements.

    • Students must file an Intent to Graduate form by the end of their junior year with the Registration and Records office.

    • Students must register for classes at the times scheduled by the Registration and Records office (within two weeks of the start of open registration).

    Hamline Responsibilities

    • Hamline will provide course offerings necessary for studentss fulfillment of the Hamline Plan.

    • Hamline will provide faculty advising and advising support for degree programs.***

    • Hamline will provide tuition-free coursework in the fifth academic year if the university fails to meet the above obligations.

    * Fees and Room and Board are not included.
    ** Although many Hamline students declare double majors and finish within four years, Hamline cannot assure that a student will complete more than one major in four years. This assurance does not require Hamline to provide additional coursework beyond the fourth year to complete a double major or double degree.
    *** The four-year assurance policy does not extend to special programs such as education certification, Early Admission Law, 3-2 program in engineering, or any other licensure or certificate program.

  17. Grade Definitions and Grading Information
    Grade   Honor Points   Definitions
    A   4.0   Excellent
    A -   3.7    
    B +   3.3    
    B   3.0   Good
    B -   2.7    
    C +   2.3    
    C   2.0   Fair
    C -   1.7    
    D +   1.3    
    D   1.0   Barely Passing
    D -   0.7    
    F   0.0   Failing-no credit
    HP   *   High Pass
    P   *   Pass-(Equal to a C- grade or better), internships, credit by examination, and student teaching courses.
    N   *   No credit
    W   *   Withdrawn
    EX   *   Term registered, final grading into later term.
    I   *   Incomplete-indicates further work is to be completed. Unless finished by the terms of the incomplete contract, the grade becomes F or N.
    AU   *   Audit

    * Not computed in GPA.
    Grades must be a C- or higher to apply to major, minor, or certificate requirements. Graduation requirements are not considered complete until all courses have final grades (no incompletes; no ungraded courses).

    1. Auditing Courses
      Full-time students may audit courses without extra charge with permission of the instructor involved. Such auditing must be recorded with the Registration and Records office. A $100 fee is charged for part-time and special students choosing to audit. An audit registration form is available in Student Administrative Services (Law/Grad 113) or at A final grade of AU is assigned to the student’s permanent record. No credit is earned. An audit is irreversible; once registration is entered on an audit basis, it cannot be changed to a credit basis.

    2. Grade Changes/Appeal
      Faculty members may apply to change a student’s initial grade up to a year after the grade was initially due. The requested change is pending approval of the respective Dean’s office.

      A student pursuing a grade appeal first addresses the concern to the faculty member involved, next to the department chairperson, and then to the respective Dean’s office.

    3. Incompletes
      Regularly scheduled courses, independent studies, and internships are to be completed within one term. With an instructor’s approval, a student may take an incomplete (“I”) in a course. An “I” will be given only in unusual circumstances that are beyond the control of the student. An “I” cannot be granted for failing or uncompleted work (a substantial portion of the work must have already been completed). An instructor must update an “I” to a final grade within four months after the end of the registration term (or by August 31 if the student intends to graduate in the summer). Otherwise, the “I” will convert to an “F” grade.

      If an “I” has been converted to an “F,” the student may complete the necessary course work, at the instructor’s discretion, within one year in accordance with the grade change policy. The student may not complete course work after that time.

      Note: All instructors enter “I” grades via Piperline before a term’s grading deadline. However, for undergraduate students, the instructor must also file an agreement for an incomplete (completed between the undergraduate student and the instructor) with his/her department chair before the final grade deadline for the term. The form is available at

    4. Pass/No Pass Grading Option
      Students are allowed one P/N course for every academic year at Hamline. Students must declare their intent to take a course P/N by the official drop/add date of that term.

      The card must be signed by the student’s advisor, the course instructor, and delivered to the Student Administrative Services office (Law/Grad 113) by the published deadline. Once declared, the P/N decision is irreversible.

      A grade of P is given only for courses that would otherwise be graded C- or higher. Not all courses may be taken on a P/N basis (first-year seminar, for example). Instructors are under no obligation to offer a P/N option in a class. Courses required in a student’s major should not ordinarily be taken P/N and some departments do not allow P/N options to majors. Please note that some professional schools and other graduate programs may convert P grades into C grades. Students on academic probation may not take a course P/N. Internships and student teaching do not count in the student’s one-per-year limit.

    5. Repeat of D, F, or N Grades
      Only those courses in which grades below a C- were received may be repeated for credit/GPA purposes. All grades earned remain permanently on the transcript record; however, only the grade and credit recorded for the last time the D, F, or N graded course is taken are used in the calculation of the cumulative GPA and credits earned. Students incur normal tuition charges for repeated courses. When a repeated course is a transfer course, the repeated grade is not counted in the Hamline GPA.

    6. Grade Reports, Transcripts, and Records
      Grade reports are available for students to view on the university’s secure Web site (Piperline at Midterm grades are reported for fall and spring terms only and are not part of a student’s permanent record. Final grades are available approximately two weeks after the last day of the term.

      Students’ records are confidential and information is released only at the request of the student or of appropriate institutions and officials. For the protection of students and former students, all transcript requests must be submitted in writing and personally signed. No transcript will be released until all financial obligations to Hamline have been met. A transcript request should be submitted at least three days in advance of the date on which it is needed, one week in advance during registration and commencement periods. For more information, see Once students are awarded their undergraduate degrees from Hamline, no changes can be made to their official academic records.

      Transcripts and other documents submitted from other institutions and agencies are the property of Hamline University and will not be reissued to applicants, students, alumni, or other parties.

  18. Honors at Graduation

    1. Departmental Honors at Graduation
      A student with a minimum GPA of 3.25 in his/her major (exceptions to be made at the discretion of the department chair), and who has demonstrated a competency for pursuing independent work, may become a candidate for departmental honors at graduation. Departments have the option to institute a higher minimum GPA requirement and earlier deadlines for honors candidates. Check the appropriate major pages in the curriculum section of this Bulletin for GPA variations.

      Students can obtain a copy of the honors guidelines and proposal form from the Registration and Records office or at Students who wish to pursue departmental honors must consult with the department chair prior to submitting a proposal form. The proposal form must be submitted by May 1 of the spring term of the junior year. (See the guidelines for exceptions to the May 1 deadline.) Wide latitude is allowed a department in interpreting what constitutes an honors project; however, it should exhibit distinctive scholarship, originality of thought, relevance to a major issue in the discipline, and competent writing ability when projects are in written form. An honors project should be a capstone experience for the student of high ability.

      Departmental faculty recommend candidates for departmental honors. An examining committee of at least four members, including one member from another department and one member from another institution, will be appointed by the dean upon recommendation by the project advisor. Upon successful defense to the examining committee, the candidate will be recommended to the faculty as worthy of the bachelor of arts diploma with distinction in the field named.

    2. General Honors at Graduation (Latin Honors)
      In recognition of superior attainment in scholarship, three grades of Latin honors are awarded at graduation. Diplomas are inscribed cum laude, magna cum laude, and summa cum laude, based on these minimum cumulative GPA requirements: cum laude, 3.500; magna cum laude, 3.750; summa cum laude, 3.900. GPAs are not rounded for calculating Latin honors.

      Only A-F grades earned in Hamline courses and under cross-registration with ACTC colleges are used in computing grade point averages and determining eligibility for honors at graduation.

      To graduate with honors at Hamline, a student must complete at least 60 credits graded on the A-F grading system at Hamline. Courses graded P/N are not included in the computation of the Hamline cumulative GPA, and are therefore not counted toward the 60-credit minimum. Latin honors are awarded only upon completion of all degree requirements.

  19. Intent to Graduate
    To satisfy student responsibilities outlined in the Hamline Four-Year Assurance of Graduation partnership (see section P above), students must file an Intent to Graduate form by the end of their junior year with the Registration and Records office. This form is available to download at

  20. Leave of Absence or Withdrawal from the College
    Students may request a leave of absence for academic, personal, or medical reasons. Requests for leaves of absence should be made to the Center for Academic Services (Bush Library, lower level, 651-523-2912).

    Students who withdraw from the College must obtain written permission from the Center for Academic Services (Bush Library, lower level, 651-523-2912). Refunds and course cancellations will be arranged only upon such written permission. A student who later wishes to return must apply for readmission through the Office of Undergraduate Admission.

  21. Petitions
    Students may request an exception to academic policy by submitting a petition to the Academic Affairs Committee. Submission of a petition does not guarantee approval. Petitions must be submitted in writing using a Petition of Academic Policy form available in Student Administrative Services (Law/Grad 113) or available to download at Specific directions regarding required signatures and supporting documentation are listed on the form.

  22. Piperline and E-Mail
    All Hamline University students are expected to access the university’s secured Web site (Piperline) to perform various administrative functions. Upon acceptance of admission to Hamline, students are issued their Piperline PIN and provided with a Hamline University e-mail account. Piperline is used by students to check class schedules, register, obtain grade reports, view updated course descriptions, make payments to student accounts, update addresses, and various other non-academic functions. Piperline is available at

    All students are required to use their official Hamline e-mail (Netmail) accounts and are responsible for any message sent to their Netmail account. Many official university notices will be sent only via e-mail such as issues related to registration, graduation, and important deadlines. In addition, many instructors require the use of e-mail in their classes. For more information see Students should also maintain their current addresses and phone numbers by either filling out a change form in Student Administrative Services (Law/Grad 113 or form available for download at or by updating the information on Piperline.

  23. Probation and Suspension, Academic
    Academic probation is intended as a means to identify, notify, and extend help to students who seem for whatever reason to be jeopardizing the possibility of their eventual graduation. It is not intended to be a punitive sanction against students who fail to meet the scholastic standards noted below.

    Students may be placed on academic probation for any of the following reasons:

    • a cumulative GPA lower than 2.0 at the end of any term;

    • a term GPA lower than 1.7 at the end of any term;

    • more than one F or N grade in any one term;

    • an unsatisfactory progression rate for completion of course credits.

    Academic probation or suspension status affects student athletes’ eligibility to compete. Student athletes should contact the Hamline University athletic compliance director (Jason Verdugo) with concerns regarding the NCAA and MIAC eligibility policy.

    The Student Progress Committee makes all decisions regarding probation and suspension. Students who are placed on academic probation at the end of a term have the next term enrolled in which to remove themselves from probation. Students not removed from probation within this period are subject to dismissal (suspension) from the university.

    A student who is suspended for low scholarship must remain out of Hamline for at least one term. A student who has been suspended and who wishes to return to Hamline must apply for readmission through the Office of Undergraduate Admission.

  24. Registration
    Students are required to register at specified times that the Registration and Records office publishes annually. Returning students register for fall term during April of the prior academic year, and during November for winter and spring terms. Registration priority is based on the number of credits completed and in progress at the time of registration. New students register for their first semester with the Center for Academic Services.

    Students are responsible for accurate registration; credit can be received only in those courses for which a student is properly registered. A student is held responsible for every course for which he or she registers unless the course is officially cancelled. Hamline reserves the right to cancel any courses offered during the academic year when it becomes necessary.

    During the published registration periods, students may register for a maximum of 19 credits in the fall and spring terms, and 5 credits in the winter term. The purpose of this 19 credit limit is to effectively manage course enrollments. Students may add and drop courses on a space-available basis on Piperline up to the beginning of each term. Add/drop cards are used to make changes once a term has begun. Students may not exceed 20 credits in fall or spring terms but may make schedule adjustments up to a 20 credit maximum once classes begin through the end of the add/drop period. The academic calendar (see is published annually and contains specific dates and deadlines for registration and related activities.

    Instructor permission is required to register for a course afer it has ended. Registration requests up to one year after a course has ended will be considered via the petition process; later requests will be denied.More registration information is also available from the Online Registration Guide at
  25. Release of Student Information
    Access to student records, which complies with the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (FERPA), is described below. For more FERPA information, see

    1. Definitions

      Record: A record includes any data or information about you and related individuals, regardless of the media used to create or maintain the record.

      Education Records: Education records include records maintained by the institution but exclude records maintained by individuals and available only to those individuals or designated substitutes (that is, “personal files”). Your education records are located and maintained by administrators in one or more of the following offices: Admissions; Center for Academic Services, Alumni Relations; Financial Aid; Registration and Records; Student Accounts, and faculty advisors’ offices. Note: The Registration and Records office is the only university office authorized to issue official transcripts and certify students’ enrollment status. All requests for such documentation must be directed to Student Administrative Services (Law/Grad 113).

      Public Information: Public information (also called “directory” information) includes your name, address, e-mail address, phone number, dates of attendance, class standing, full-time or part-time enrollment status, photographs, previous institutions attended, major/minor field of study, degrees, honors, and awards, date and place of birth, and athletic participation. Records of arrests and/or convictions are public records and thus not subject to university policy. Note: If you wish to restrict the release of your directory information, you must do so by notifying the Undergraduate Registrar (Law/Grad 113).

    2. Release in Emergencies
      The confidentiality of all records may be broken in an emergency if deemed necessary by the severity of the emergency, the usefulness of the records, and the extent to which time is critical.

    3. Release to You
      Your records are available to you with the following exceptions: confidential letters of recommendation submitted prior to 1975; records of your parents’ financial status; records related to your student employment that are subject to other laws and are administered by the Human Resources office; medical and psychological records (which will be released only to a healthcare professional designated by you) and, if you signed a voluntary waiver of access, letters of recommendation related to admission, candidacy for awards, and candidacy for employment - these records may be used only for the purpose originally intended. You may see any of your available records within 45 days after submitting a written request to the Registration and Records office, either in person or by mail. You will receive an interpretation of the record upon request, at or after the time that access is granted.

    4. Release to Others Except as specified below, your records will be released only upon completion of a consent form or letter you have signed. Any such release will include a notice that further release by the recipient is prohibited by law. A record of the release will be maintained.

      Records about you will be released without your consent to your parents if you are a dependent as defined by the Internal Revenue Service; to federal officers as prescribed by law; as required by state law; to agencies or individuals conducting educational research (provided that the administrator of the records is satisfied concerning the legitimacy of the research effort and the confidentiality to be maintained by the researcher); to agencies responsible for accreditation of the institution or its programs; in response to a lawful subpoena, after making reasonable attempts to provide prior notification and opportunity for objection by you; and to institutional security officers when necessary for a criminal investigation.

    5. Retention of Records
      Hamline University reserves the right to maintain only those records it considers useful and to set retention schedules for various categories of those records. However, the administrator responsible for each category of records will ensure that a record being challenged is not destroyed prior to resolution of the dispute.

  26. Residency Credit Policy
    All Hamline students are required to complete 128 residency credits in order to graduate. Full-time students may earn up to 34 residency credits per year toward these 128 required residency credits, though many students will take just 32 credits per year. Any credits transferred in count toward the residency requirement; however, students must complete a minimum of 56 credits at Hamline. Students may distribute their credits through fall, winter, and spring terms (e.g., 16 fall, 4 winter, 12 spring; 16 fall, 0 winter, 16 spring, etc.).

    For no additional charge, on a space-available basis, students may take additional non-residency credits (up to 20 credits in fall and spring terms and up to 5 credits in winter term). Credits taken in addition to the 34 residency credits in an academic year will apply toward a major and minor, the Hamline Plan curricular requirements, breadth of study requirements, and will be used in GPA calculation. However, a maximum of 34 credits may be counted annually toward the 128 residency credits required for graduation. Students who wish to accelerate their graduation may do by completing courses during summer terms. A maximum of 8 residency credits may be earned in the summer per year.

    Transfer students must take at least 56 residency credits at Hamline or within the ACTC consortium to earn a Hamline degree. Sixty credits graded A-F are required for transfer students to be eligible for Latin honors at graduation.


  ^ TOP