Javascript is currently not supported, or is disabled by this browser. Please enable Javascript for full functionality.

    Jul 16, 2024  
2014-2015 School of Law Bulletin 
2014-2015 School of Law Bulletin [Archived Bulletin]


Hamline Joint Degree and Course Exchange Programs

J.D. students may pursue a joint degree and/or seek course exchange credits in the following programs in the Hamline School of Business (HSB) and the Hamline College of Liberal Arts (CLA):

  • HSB Master of Business Administration (MBA)
  • HSB Master of Arts in Public Administration (MAPA)
  • HSB Master of Arts in Nonprofit Management (MANM)
  • CLA Master of Fine Arts Program in Creative Writing (MFA)

Students from other Hamline Programs: HSB or MFA students may not take Hamline Law courses for law school degree credit without having first been admitted to a Hamline Law degree program.

Credits Earned Prior to Matriculation at Hamline Law: Under ABA rules, Hamline may not grant credit toward the J.D. degree for any courses which are initiated or completed in other graduate schools prior to matriculation (first day of classes) at Hamline Law, including other Hamline graduate schools.

Admission to the HSB or MFA Graduate Program for Dual Degree: Hamline Law students must apply to HSB or CLA to be admitted to the applicable HSB or MFA program. Hamline Law students are not guaranteed admission to these programs.

Certificate of Eligibility Required: In addition to their application to the HSB or the MFA program, students must complete a Joint Degree Programs Certificate of Eligibility Form. The certificate of eligibility will only be issued to students who:

  1. Have successfully completed one year of Law School;
  2. Have a 2.5 or higher cumulative Law School grade point average; and
  3. Have been approved to participate by the Associate Dean for Academic Affairs.

Credit Limits for Transfer Purposes, Dual Degrees: Students admitted to any HSB or MFA dual degree program are allowed to transfer a total of twelve graduate school credits toward their law school degree which transfer as the equivalent of nine J.D. credits.

Courses That Count Toward J.D. Degree in Hamline Dual Degree Programs

MBA Courses: MBA Module 1 (eight MBA credits, transferring as six J.D. credits) and one additional MBA course which must be preapproved by the Associate Dean for Academic Affairs (up to four credits transferring as three) usually taken after the second year of law school. Module 1 consists of the following inseparable components:

  • Leadership Skills Development (3 credits)
  • Organizational Behavior (3 credits)
  • Critical Thinking (2 credits)

MAPA Joint Degree Courses:

  • Foundations in Public Administration
  • Professional Ethics
  • Organizational Theory and Behavior
  • Public Fiscal Management
  • Public Policy Analysis
  • Human Resource Management for Government
  • Administrative Law
  • Research Methods
  • Conflict Theories
  • Social Identities and Conflicts

MANM Joint Degree Courses:

  • Fundamentals of Nonprofit Management
  • Professional Ethics
  • Organizational Theory and Behavior
  • Fundraising for Nonprofits
  • Law for Nonprofit Organizations
  • Financial Management of Nonprofit Organizations
  • Governance and Planning in Nonprofit Organizations
  • Research Methods and Program Evaluation
  • Human Resource Management for Nonprofit Organizations
  • Conflict Theories

MFA Courses:

(Joint JD/MFA only. Not eligible for general credit exchange.)

  • Writers and Readers Both
  • Groundings in the Craft: Elements of Poetry
  • Groundings in the Craft: Elements of Creative Nonfiction
  • Groundings in the Craft: Elements of Fiction
  • Advanced Fiction Courses
  • Advanced Fiction: Craft
  • Advanced Fiction: Workshop
  • Advanced Creative Nonfiction
  • Advanced Poetry: Craft
  • MFA: Capstone, Part One
  • MFA: Capstone, Part Two

General Credit Exchange

Student Eligibility for Hamline Course Exchange: Upper-class law students who are not in a joint degree program, but have completed one year of law school with a 2.5 or higher cumulative grade point average, may take certain courses at HSB that are transferable to the J.D. degree. This provision does not apply to the MFA program.

Eligible Courses for Exchange: The courses approved for transfer from the MBA, MAPA, or MANM programs must be from the lists of approved courses above, or be otherwise pre-approved in writing by the Associate Dean for Academic Affairs.

Credit Limits for Credit Exchange: Students not enrolled in a joint degree program are allowed to transfer a total of eight HSB credits to their law school degree, which transfer as the equivalent of six J.D. or LL.M. credits.

Registration, Tuition, and Transfer Policies for Joint Degree and Credit Exchange Courses

For courses to be transferred to the J.D., registration for MBA, MAPA, MAM, MANM or MFA courses must be pre-approved by the Associate Dean for Academic Affairs. For administrative purposes, joint degree students who are still enrolled in the J.D. program must register for all graduate school courses using the Graduate Course Registration Request form even when the graduate school course will not be transferred to the J.D.

To receive registration pre-approval, students should check with the pertinent HSB or CLA department to ensure that the desired course is open to J.D. students. Students must then submit a completed Graduate Course Registration Request form to the Hamline Law Office of the Registrar listing the specific course(s) sought. The Office of the Registrar routes the form to the Associate Dean for Academic Affairs for approval. If the request is approved, the OTR forwards the request to the graduate school and Records and Registration who will register the student.

Cost of Tuition: Tuition for HSB and MFA courses that will count toward the J.D. is included in the part-time or full-time tuition for the J.D. program.

Tuition for Non-Transferred Courses: Students enrolled in HSB or MFA courses that cannot be transferred towards their J.D. degree must pay tuition for those courses in addition to the tuition for the J.D. program.

Credit Limitations for Tuition Purposes in Dual Degree or Credit Exchange Courses: The total number of J.D. and HSB or MFA billing credits must fall within the part-time or full-time ranges of allowable credits for the J.D. program. Each 4-credit HSB or MFA course is treated as a 3-credit J.D. course for purposes of determining tuition and credit limitations.

Transfer Courses, Minimum GPA: To transfer a course from any graduate school program to the law school, the student must receive a grade of B (3.0) or better in the graduate course.

Transfer Courses, Effect on GPA: Under Academic Rule 112, the transferred grade will be recorded on the student’s law school transcript, but will not be calculated into the student’s grade point average.

Transfer Courses, Time of Posting: After HSB or MFA grades are posted law students must request a transcript from the graduate school to be sent directly to the OTR. The registrar will post the transfer credits to the law school transcript only after the official transcript is received.

Dual Degree and Course Exchange with St. Catherine University

Eligible Programs: Hamline Law J.D. students may pursue a dual degree, certificate and/or seek course exchange credits for the following St. Catherine University programs:

  • Master of Arts in Organizational Leadership degree (MAOL)
  • MAOL Certificate in Organizational Leadership
  • MAOL degree with Concentration in Dispute Resolution
  • Master of Library and Information Science (MLIS)

St. Catherine University students may pursue a dual degree or certificate, and/or seek course exchange credits for the following Hamline Law programs:

  • Juris Doctor degree
  • Dispute Resolution Institute Dispute Resolution Certificate

International Student Exchange Programs

Credit Available: Law students at the University of Bergen, Norway, and the Jőnkőping University, Sweden, are eligible to receive credit toward their Norwegian and Swedish degrees as outlined in the Bergen-Hamline Exchange Agreement and the Jőnkőping-Hamline Exchange Agreement on file in the Office of the Dean.

Course and Credit Requirements: International exchange students are required to take the American Legal Systems course unless the course requirement is waived for good cause by the Associate Dean for Academic Affairs. Students’ other exchange courses will be approved by the Director of the Norway and Sweden exchanges.

Visas: International exchange students must follow pertinent regulations of their own universities and United States visa requirements requiring the type and number of courses in which they may enroll. U.S. visa requirements currently mandate that foreign exchange students be enrolled full-time.

Examinations/Grading: International exchange students are presumptively graded on the same basis and with the same evaluation instruments as J.D. students in the same class. If international exchange students do not intend to seek a J.D. degree in the U.S. and prefer to give their instructors the discretion to grade them on a different basis, they must indicate that preference to the Associate Dean for Academic Affairs

Variances: International exchange students may be allowed an examination variance for English as a second language as determined by the Assistant Dean for Students and Diversity. They must apply for a variance according to the procedure provided for J.D. students. (See Examinations, Papers, and Grading Section)

Tuition and Fees: Tuition and fees for international exchange students are determined in by institutional agreement and each individual’s Statement of Financial Support.

Regulations Applicable to Non-U.S. Exchange Students: Exchange students are subject to all Hamline University regulations, including the Hamline Law Code of Conduct, while they are taking courses at Hamline.

For information about the Hamline LLM/University of Bergen Master’s in Law Students Dual Degree Program, please see LLM Program for Foreign Lawyers Special Rules section.