May 21, 2018  
2016-2017 Undergraduate Bulletin 
2016-2017 Undergraduate Bulletin [Archived Bulletin]

Admission Procedures, Finances, Financial Aid, and Transfer of Credit

Click on any of the following links for information:


Admission Procedure for First-Year Students

Students applying for first-year admission to the university must submit the following credentials:

  1. An application form completed by the applicant. Hamline accepts the Common Application.
  2. An official secondary school transcript. Students may submit transcripts from ninth through eleventh grades and a list of senior year courses with the understanding that full admission is granted only after the receipt and approval by the admission committee of the final year’s record. In many cases, grades earned during the first semester of the senior year will be requested before a decision is made. Official transcripts must be sent directly to the Office of Undergraduate Admission by the secondary school. First-year student applicants who have earned college credit before graduating from secondary school must list the colleges they have attended on the application and contact those colleges and request that official college transcripts be sent to Hamline University (see Transfer of Credit and Advanced Placement).
  3. The results of the ACT or the Scholastic Assessment Test (SAT). It is recommended that the SAT or ACT be taken late in the junior year or early in the senior year. When registering for the tests, students should request that copies of the score results be sent to Hamline University. The ACT institution code for Hamline is 2114, the SAT code is 6265.
  4. Applicants should submit at least one teacher or counselor recommendation.
  5. Other information as requested by the admission committee during consideration of an individual applicant. Such information might include recommendations, SAT or ACT writing exams, the results of additional coursework, and/or a formal admission interview. Hamline University is a member of the National Association for College Admission Counseling and adheres to the Statement of Principles of Good Practice.

Community College Transfer Students

The university welcomes students from community and junior colleges to transfer to Hamline for their final years of undergraduate work. In most cases, students who transfer to the university after having completed an associate degree or two years of comparable work will have acquired sufficient scope in their program to satisfy a large portion of the general education goals of the Hamline curriculum. A maximum of 96 quarter hours or 64 semester hours of work from two-year colleges will be accepted as transfer credit. Hamline offers a two-year assurance of graduation with a Bachelor of Arts degree to students who complete an Associates of Arts degree and meet the eligibility requirements.

Community college students who are planning to transfer to Hamline are encouraged to consult with the Office of Undergraduate Admission in order to correlate their coursework with Hamline’s curriculum guidelines.

To be considered for admission to Hamline, the applicant must have graduated from or be eligible to return to the institution from which he or she wishes to transfer and must have earned an overall grade point average of C (2.0) or better in all college courses completed. Students who have earned college credit after secondary school graduation apply as transfer students.

Students applying for transfer admission to the university must file the following credentials:

  1. An application form completed by the applicant. Students may apply online at
  2. Official copies of all previously attended college transcripts, even if no grade and/or degree was given. Transcripts must be sent directly from the previous college(s) to the Office of Undergraduate Admission.
  3. A Dean of Students form. This form verifies enrollment at your current or most recent institution and must be sent directly from that institution.
  4. Official secondary school transcripts and test scores if the applicant has completed fewer than 24 semester hours or 36 quarter hours at the time of application or has graduated from high school within the past five years.

Four-Year College Transfer Students

Students planning to transfer to Hamline University from accredited institutions of collegiate rank should ordinarily transfer early enough in their college career to permit at least two full years of study at Hamline. Students who have completed more than two years of study should schedule an admission interview with a member of the admission staff.

To be considered for transfer admission, students transferring from four-year colleges must provide the same information as described under Community College Transfers. Official transcripts must be provided from all post-secondary institutions attended.

Accepting an Offer of Admission

Admitted first-year students and transfer students accept the offer of admission by submitting a $400 admission deposit. This deposit may be paid after notification of admission. Deposits can also be made online, via Piperline, Hamline’s secure website for student services.

All matriculating first-year students must submit final transcripts from their secondary school. The college reserves the right to withdraw admission/enrollment for students who fail to perform adequately in their final term(s) of high school after accepting an offer of admission.

New Student Housing

On-campus residence is not required but is very strongly recommended for new students. Eighty-seven percent of first-year students choose to live on campus.

Your housing deposit is included in your $400 admission deposit. No additional deposit is collected for undergraduate students who apply to live on campus. See your individual housing contract for additional housing information.

International Student Admission

Applicants must complete a college preparatory program before enrolling. All applicants for admission must demonstrate their ability to be successful in college courses where English is the language of instruction. Students whose first language is English should file the results of one of the tests described under Admission Procedure for First-Year Students (i.e. SAT or ACT).

Students whose first language is not English must demonstrate a proficiency in English by scoring a minimum of 550 on the written TOEFL examination, 213 on the computer based TOEFL, 79-80 Internet-based TOEFL, IELTS score of 6.5, or through the completion of an approved English as a Second Language program (please contact admissions for more information). Students who will need additional training in English before beginning their college work are encouraged to attend an English as a Second Language program.

Hamline University supports international student enrollment by providing international programs and an advisor on campus. The advisor is available to assist international students in adjusting to the university’s academic programs, in immigration matters, and in taking fullest advantage of the academic and social opportunities the university provides.

Early Admission

Students who have not completed a secondary school diploma or who have graduated from non-accredited high schools may be admitted as degree seeking students upon application review and provided they are recommended for such admission by their secondary school. Students must demonstrate through their coursework, test results, personal statement, and an admission interview that they are capable of satisfactory work at a selective liberal arts college.

Students who have not completed secondary school may also be considered for admission as special students under the Minnesota Post-Secondary Enrollment Options (PSEO) Program. These options are designed to provide talented high school seniors and juniors the opportunity to broaden their educational backgrounds through college-level classes. Admission is very selective and enrollment is limited.

Additional information about the Post-Secondary Enrollment Options Program is available from the Office of Undergraduate Admission.

Non-degree Seeking and Visiting Students

Students who are not degree candidates may enroll in Hamline courses provided they satisfy the requirements of the instructors concerned and are registered properly. Students planning to enroll as non-degree, visiting students should contact the Office of Registration and Records for information and forms.

Postbaccalaureate Students

Students who have already completed a college degree and would like to enroll to complete a teacher licensure program, or one of the certificate programs (paralegal, forensic science, international journalism, or conflict studies) must contact the Office of Graduate Admission. The admission staff will provide program information and application forms.

Readmission of Students

Former students who wish to return to Hamline after any interruption of registration must apply for readmission unless they have been on an approved leave of absence. Students wanting to be readmitted to Hamline should contact the Office of Registration and Records for information and application forms. If a student has taken courses at another college since leaving Hamline, an official transcript is required from each college the student has attended.

Students who interrupt enrollment for more than one academic year must fulfill the Bulletin requirements in effect at the time of reentry/readmission, or they may opt to fulfill the requirements published in the last previous Bulletin. Only with written approval of the appropriate department chairperson or program director can students elect to fulfill the requirements of any previous Bulletin.


Hamline is approved by the Veterans Administration for the education of veterans under the provisions of the Vocational Rehabilitation Act (Public Law 16 and the Vocational 894). A certificate of eligibility should be secured by the veteran from the regional office of the Veterans Administration and presented to the Student Administrative Services office prior to registration. Hamline is responsible for certifying, training, and transmitting necessary credentials and information to the Veterans Administration. For more information and to contact the VA Certifying Official, go to


Transfer of Credit

The Registration and Records office, using official transcripts from a student’s previous schools, works with the faculty to determine the requirements met by transfer work. Only transfer work from regionally accredited colleges and universities will be considered for transfer. Information about the accreditation of colleges/universities in the north central region is available at  Transcripts and other documents submitted from other institutions and agencies are the property of Hamline University and will not be reissued to applicants, students, alumni, or other parties.

Classes will be evaluated on a course-by-course basis. Courses must be considered college-level, relevant to a liberal arts degree, and a student must have earned a C- or above. If a course is taken as Pass/No Pass, and the school awards a Pass for grades below a C-, a letter must be submitted from the institution’s registrar indicating the student would have received a C- or above before transfer credit is awarded. Please note that acceptance of credit may be for elective credit only; equivalency to Hamline courses is determined by individual departments. Students transferring credit will not receive credit twice for similar courses taken at Hamline. Grade point averages do not transfer.

A transfer student who chooses to retake a Hamline course that is equivalent to a course accepted for transfer credit may do so on an audit or zero-credit basis. The student may request the repeat only for the purpose of ensuring competency in a foreign language or other discipline before enrolling in continuation courses, and no additional credit or grade point average impact will result.

A maximum of 64 semester credits may be brought in from two-year colleges. Credit in narrowly vocational courses is not transferable. Nursing, mental health, chemical dependency, law enforcement, military, and other focused professional program credits are transferable up to a limit of 32 semester credits if the course content is suitable for a liberal arts program. 1.5 quarter credits equals 1 semester credit.

Students must earn at least 56 semester credits at Hamline in order to receive a Hamline degree (60 credits at Hamline, graded on the A-F scale, are required to earn Latin Honors). A minimum of 16 semester credits in a student’s major must be taken at Hamline. The credit amount of transfer courses will not change if equivalency to a Hamline course is granted (i.e. a 3 credit course granted equivalency to a 4 credit Hamline course will remain at only 3 credits).

Transfer Evaluation Systems (TES), showing course equivalents for all classes previously transferred to Hamline from across the country, can be found at: This list is subject to change. Students earning credits at other institutions may be asked to provide copies of appropriate course catalogs or syllabi to assist in the evaluation transfer credit.

Transcripts from foreign schools must be submitted to an outside agency for course-by-course evaluation and processing before an evaluation can be completed. The agency must be a member of the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES). The commonly used agencies are World Education Service (WES) online at, and Educational Credential Evaluators (ECE) online at These organizations usually charge students a fee for these services.

Students who have transferred in course work which they would like to have approved for their major or minor (which did not previously articulate as such) should follow these steps:

  1. Obtain a copy of the course syllabus and/or course description from the official course bulletin of the institution where the course was taken.
  2. Have the course reviewed by their major/minor advisor and the chair of the department. 
  3. If the chair and advisor in the major/minor department approves the course, obtain a Program Sheet online at or at the Student Administrative Services office.
  4. Complete the substitution column of the Program Sheet and both advisor and department chair will sign the form.
  5. Return the signed form to the Student Administrative Services office.

Students who have transferred in course work that they would like evaluated for Hamline Plan requirements (which did not previously articulate as such) should follow these steps:

  1. Obtain a copy of the course syllabus. If a student no longer has a copy of the syllabus he or she may have to contact the former institution or instructor in order to provide a more complete description of the course than the course description provides.
  2. Attach a memo to the syllabus listing the course and the desired Hamline Plan designation(s).
  3. Submit the memo and syllabus to the Student Administrative Services office to the attention of the Transfer Articulation Coordinator.
  4. The Transfer Articulation Coordinator will work with the faculty to review the course and will e-mail the decision.

Minnesota State Colleges and Universities System (MnSCU) Transfer Students

MnSCU’s two-year Minnesota Transfer Curriculum (MnTC) and Hamline University’s four-year Hamline Plan work hand-in-hand to provide students with an excellent general education foundation.

Students who complete the Minnesota Transfer Curriculum with a minimum course grade of C- will automatically satisfy at least 10 of the 19-20 Hamline Plan requirements, leaving only nine or ten to finish at Hamline.

For more information regarding how the MnTC aligns with the Hamline Plan, please see this chart: Hamline Plan alignment with Minnesota Transfer Curriculum

Advanced Placement (AP)

A student earning a score of 4 or 5 on an Advanced Placement Examination sponsored by the College Board may generally be awarded 4 credits. Scores of 3 may be accepted at the discretion of the appropriate departments. Scores of 1 or 2 will not be accepted. An official transcript must be received from the College Board. For instructions on ordering an AP transcript see: Hamline course equivalencies are determined by the appropriate departments. A maximum of 20 semester credits from AP exams may transfer. A student may not exceed a total of 64 credits among AP, IB, PSEO, CIS, CLEP, and DSST coursework. AP exams, International Baccalaureate (IB) exams, and college course work may be duplicative. In those cases, a student will receive credit only once.

International Baccalaureate (IB)

Students taking the Higher Level International Baccalaureate exams may be eligible to receive credit at Hamline. An official transcript must be received from IB, please visit for ordering information. A student must earn at least a score of 4 or 5 depending on the subject area for credit to be considered. If accepted the student will receive either 4 or 8 credits depending on the exam. Hamline course equivalencies are determined by the appropriate departments. A maximum of 20 credits from IB courses may transfer. A student may not exceed a total of 64 credits among AP, IB, PSEO, CIS, CLEP, and DSST coursework. AP exams, International Baccalaureate (IB) exams, and college course work may be duplicative. In those cases, a student will receive credit only once.

Post-Secondary Enrollment Option (PSEO)

The PSEO program is a Minnesota State program which allows qualified high school students to attend college classes while completing their high school degree. An official transcript must be received from the college or university (not the high school) for transfer credit to be considered. A maximum of 64 credits may be transferred in through AP, IB, PSEO, CIS, CLEP, and DSST coursework. Other policies under the Transfer of Credit section (listed above) apply.

College in the Schools (CIS)/College Courses Taken at the High School

Transfer credit may be awarded for CIS courses or other college classes taken at a student’s high school provided an official transcript is received from the college or university awarding college credit (not the high school). A maximum of 16 credits from CIS courses may transfer. A student may not exceed a total of 64 credits among AP, IB, PSEO, CIS, CLEP, and DSST course work. Other policies under the Transfer of Credit section (listed above) apply.

College Level Examination Program (CLEP)

CLEP examinations are administered by the College Board and are designed for individuals who have acquired knowledge outside the formal educational channels. The exams enable such individuals to demonstrate their college-level learning by taking tests that assess the knowledge and skills taught in introductory college courses. The exams are offered for a small fee at regional testing centers.

There are two types of exams: general exams and subject exams. Credit will not be awarded for a CLEP subject exam if a student has already taken a college level course in an equivalent subject area. Generally students who score at or above the American Council on Education’s (ACE) recommended score (usually 50) may be eligible to receive academic credit subject to approval by the appropriate department. English Composition CLEP exams are not accepted.

A maximum of 16 credits from CLEP exams may transfer. A student may not exceed a total of 64 credits among AP, IB, PSEO, CIS, CLEP, and DSST coursework.

More information about CLEP is available at

DSST Examination Program (DANTES)

DSST exams are approved and accepted by the American Council on Education (ACE) and are designed for individuals who have acquired knowledge outside the formal educational channels. The exams are offered for a small fee at regional testing centers.

Credit will not be awarded for DSST exams if a student has already taken a college-level course in an equivalent subject area. Generally, students who score at or above the American Council on Education’s (ACE) recommended score (usually ranging from the mid- to upper-40s) may be eligible to receive academic credit subject to approval by the appropriate department. Technical Writing DSST exams do not fulfill Hamline’s first-year writing requirement.

A maximum of 16 credits from DSST exams may transfer. A student may not exceed a total of 64 credits among AP, IB, PSEO, CIS, CLEP, and DSST coursework.

Credit Limitation for Transfer Work Completed While in High School

Hamline University will accept no more than 64 credits for accredited college level coursework taken while concurrently enrolled as a high school student. This includes course work from AP, IB, PSEO, CIS, and CLEP. In addition, AP and IB programs are limited to 20 credits each. CIS, CLEP and DSST programs are limited to 16 credits each. Students may transfer in up to 64credits of PSEO course work. The aggregate total for all programs must not exceed 64 credits.



Tuition 2016-2017

Full-time students enrolled for the academic year, tuition per year   $38,100
Part-time students, charge per credit   $1,190
Audit fee for part-time and visiting students only, per course   $100

In unusual circumstances, a student may petition to take an overload, which is more than 20 credits for either fall or spring term, or more than 5 credits in winter term. If the overload is approved, the student will be charged the per credit rate for each credit above the limit.

Fees 2016-2017

Student Activity Fee (estimated)   $300
Facilities Fee   $110
Health Services Fee   $216
Technology Fee   $298
Book Rental Fee   $480
Health and accident insurance (estimated)
(see note at the end of this section)

Note: All students are required to have health and accident insurance and will be charged for Hamline insurance coverage. Students who have their own insurance will have the opportunity to go online and waive this insurance fee. If students do not submit an online waiver request, they will be enrolled in the school policy and will be responsible for the cost of that coverage.

Complete tuition and fee information is provided at

Room and Board 2016-2017







Double, Triple, Quad:



Returning students are charged a cancellation fee if, during spring room selection, they reserve a room for the subsequent year and cancel that reservation after May 1, but prior to occupancy. Damage to a room or its furnishings, beyond ordinary wear and tear, will be charged to the student.

Meal Plans    
240 Block Meal Plan:   $4,908
160 Block Meal Plan:   $4,908
75 Block Meal Plan**:   $3,628

Note: For other options, contact Residential Life. Students living in residence halls are required to have a meal plan through Dining Services.
**The 75 Block Meal Plan is available to third year, fourth year and graduate students only.

Payment Options

Prior to the start of each term an E-bill showing charges and estimated financial aid is prepared for each student by the student accounts office. Hamline students may select one of the following payment options:

  1. Semester payment plan-fall term due August 15 and spring term due January 16 as billed; or
  2. Installment plan-tuition, fees, room and board are paid in monthly payments through Tuition Management Systems for an annual fee.

Withdrawal Charges

For students who officially withdraw from the university during a term, the amount of tuition owed is calculated from the date on record of their withdrawal or leave, not from the date the student ceases to attend classes. Students who officially withdraw from classes before the end of the 10th day of class will not be responsible for any tuition charges. After that date, the amount of tuition owed will be calculated daily on an increasing scale based on the percentage of days in the term before the withdrawal date. Students who withdraw after 60 percent of the term has passed will be responsible for all tuition charges.

The same schedule is used to calculate the amount of tuition owed when a student drops from full-time to part-time or from overload to full-time.

Financial aid will be canceled or prorated as required by the programs. See the financial aid instruction guide for details.

Student fees assessed by the university or the Student Congress are not refundable.


It is important that students register during the stated registration periods. Students who fail to complete registration (including financial arrangements) by the first day of classes will be charged a late registration fee.

Late Payment Policy

Late payment penalties are imposed thirty days after the start of fall and spring semesters. For account balances of $1000 or more, a late payment fee of 5% (up to $500) will be assessed.


Hamline does not carry insurance on the personal property of faculty, students, or staff and is not responsible for the loss or damage of such property.


Financial Aid

Financial assistance is granted on the basis of the student’s estimated financial eligibility as measured by the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Along with most other colleges and universities, Hamline uses the FAFSA to provide a fair, objective, and unbiased estimate of a student’s eligibility for assistance. Assistance is granted through a combination of scholarships or grants, loans, and campus employment.

An award is made one year at a time. The exact amount of eligibility is determined each year on the basis of confidential income information.

Students must maintain full-time status to be eligible for Hamline-sponsored grant or scholarship assistance. Students are normally allowed grant assistance for a total of eight cumulative terms, including all previous postsecondary work. Financial aid eligibility for fifth year students is limited to non-Hamline sponsored programs. Selected Title IV federal funds are available to eligible students maintaining at least one half of the full-time course load. Eligibility for these funds is determined both by the amount of demonstrated financial eligibility and maintenance of minimal satisfactory progress toward a degree.

Minnesota state residents: the Minnesota definition of full-time enrollment for students qualifying for the State Grant Program is 15 credits per semester. The estimated grant is based on full-time enrollment of fifteen credits per semester and will be pro-rated if registered for less. Winter term credits may be combined with either fall or spring semesters to achieve fifteen credits.

Minnesota State Grants are given by the State of Minnesota. Students are eligible for State Grant for the equivalent of eight full-time semesters in total. This total includes all previous postsecondary credits attempted or earned at other institutions.

Federal Pell Grants are awarded based on the results of the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Students are eligible for the equivalent of twelve full-time semesters in total. This total includes any terms at previous postsecondary institutions in which students received Pell grant.

Application Procedures

Students who wish to apply for financial assistance should file the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) online at indicating that he or she wants the results sent to Hamline University (FAFSA Code #002354). A Hamline application and supporting income tax information may be required.

It will take one to two weeks for the FAFSA to be processed by the US Department of Education.

Financial Aid Adjustments

In the event that we receive new or additional information including, but not limited to, housing, outside funding, or enrollment, your financial aid is subject to change. Unless paper notifications are requested, students will be notified through email when changes are available to be viewed in Piperline.

Transfer Students

Students who have transferred credits to Hamline begin their course of study at the grade level approved by Registration and Records. Coursework that has not transferred will not be reviewed as part of the maximum time frame requirement for aid eligibility.

Financial Aid for Summer Term

Financial aid is available for summer students enrolled in at least six credits. Financial aid for summer term normally consists of a portion of your Federal Subsidized or Unsubsidized Stafford Loan, SELF, private loans, or Federal PLUS Loans. Minnesota State and Pell Grants may also be available. Contact the Office of Financial Aid at 651-523-3000 for more information on eligibility and application deadlines.

If you are eligible to receive VA educational benefits during the academic year, you are probably eligible to receive them for the summer. For further information, consult the Hamline VA representative, at 651-523-3000.

Types of Financial Aid

Scholarships and Grants

Hamline grants of various types are available to new and returning students on the basis of demonstrated financial eligibility. Over 150 different endowed and restricted scholarships are available to students who both meet the requirement of the donors and demonstrate financial eligibility or meet requirements established by campus departments.

In addition, Hamline offers merit-based scholarships to incoming students recognizing academic excellence. Hamline merit-based aid may be used to meet demonstrated financial need. A combination of Hamline-sponsored scholarships, grants, and/or federal or state scholarships/grants may not exceed Hamline tuition. If a student withdraws from the University and subsequently re-enrolls, he/she forfeits the original merit-based scholarship.

Reclassification: All Hamline merit- and need-based resources are subject to reclassification (renaming) to a donor endowed fund. The student will retain the honorary winner status of the original award. For example, a Hamline Presidential Scholar may be nominated by an academic department for a departmental endowed scholarship. That student may see a reduction in the Presidential amount and an addition in the departmental endowed amount. This does not change the overall total of grant and scholarship dollars awarded to you.

Housing grants: Housing grants, including, but limited to  Piper Housing grant and Residential Hall grants are only available to students living on campus an may be renewed each year that students continue to live on and demonstrate financial need.  If a difference Hamline funding source is found during the year, this grant may be reclassified.

A list of individual scholarship funds appears under the “Scholarship Funds” section below.


Long-term, low-interest loans are available to Hamline students through the following programs:

The Federal Perkins Loan Program is funded by both Hamline and the federal government, and is administered by Hamline. Eligible students with exceptional financial need are automatically considered for this loan when they apply for assistance through the school.

The Federal Direct Loan Program is funded by the federal government. Application forms can be obtained on the Office of Financial Aid web site at

The Federal Parent Loan for Undergraduate Students (PLUS) is funded by the federal government and requires prior credit approval of the parent borrower. Application forms can be obtained on the Office of Financial Aid web site at

The United Methodist Student Loan Fund is available to students who are full members of the United Methodist Church. Students complete a loan application, available online at

The Minnesota Supplemental Educational Loan Fund (SELF) is intended to help students who need to borrow more than is allowed under existing programs and students who have limited access to other financial aid programs. The SELF loan application can be completed on-line at The SELF loan has the option of either a fixed or variable interest rate and a requirement for quarterly interest payments. A credit-worthy co-signer is required to obtain a SELF loan.

Alternative/Private Loans

There are a variety of private loans available. All private loans are based on satisfactory credit history. Contact the Financial Aid Office for term of loans. Students may apply on-line at


For a description of employment opportunities, see Campus Employment in this Bulletin.

Satisfactory Academic Progress

Financial aid eligibility is based on satisfactory academic progress (SAP) standards that Hamline University of Financial Aid is required by the U. S. Department of Education to establish, publish, and apply. The Financial Aid Office measures academic performance and enforces SAP standards to ensure that financial aid recipients progress toward completion of their degree or certificate program. Students who fail to meet these standards become ineligible to receive financial aid until compliant with all of the requirements detailed in this policy.

To demonstrate Satisfactory Academic Progress, a student’s academic performance must meet two main SAP components. The first is a qualitative component, represented by grade point average (GPA). The second is a quantitative component measured by credit completion (the ratio between attempted and completed credits) and the maximum timeframe to complete the degree or certificate program.

Section 1. Standards of Satisfactory Academic Progress

Grade Point Average - All undergraduate students are required to maintain a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.0.

Credit Completion – Students must complete 67% of all credits attempted. A completed credit has a grade of A, B, C, D, P, or HP. Withdrawals, incompletes, and repeated courses are included in attempted credits.

Maximum Time Frame –Students are expected to finish their degree or certificate within an acceptable period of time. Acceptable period of time for financial aid recipients is defined as 150% of the required number of credits needed to complete their program.  This includes transfer credits from another college that apply to the Hamline program.  For undergraduate students this means that students must finish their degree before they reach 192 attempted credits.  Hamline is required to suspend aid eligibility after any review which shows that the student cannot possibly complete the program within the 150% program length. Students who require developmental coursework may appeal to have the 150% limit extended.

Section 2. Definitions/Conditions

Credit – A credit is the unit by which academic work is measured.

Attempted credit – An attempted credit includes all credits for which you are registered at the beginning of each term.

Cumulative credits – Cumulative credits represent the total number of credits evaluated (attempted and earned) for all periods of enrollment at the University, including summer and J-terms or terms for which the student did not receive aid.

Earned credits – Earned credits are those that are successfully completed with a grade of A, B, C, D, HP, and P and all plus and minus variations. Grades of I, W, N, F, and EX, or drops are not counted as earned credits. Audit credits are not counted as attempted or earned credits.

Grade Point Average (GPA) – The GPA is calculated using a grade point value outlined in the catalog for grades A, B, C, D, and F and all plus or minus variations. Although a grade of P or HP will count as credit earned, it carries no grade point value.

Incompletes – An “I” or “EX” are included in the cumulative credits attempted. These credits cannot be used as earned credits until a passing grade is assigned.
Repeat Credits – Repeats may be allowed in order to improve a grade or meet program requirements. They are included in credit completion and maximum time frame standards. The most recent grade will become the grade calculated for GPA.

Transfer Credits – Grades associated with transfer credits are not included in the cumulative GPA calculation. Transfer credits accepted by Hamline University that are applicable to the current degree program apply toward the maximum time frame calculation for that program.

Change of Major, and Dual Degree – Many students receive multiple awards from Hamline University. Only attempted credits eligible for application toward the student’s current degree program will count toward the maximum time frame of that degree. Attempted and earned credits under all majors will be included in the calculation of GPA and credit completion. Students who change majors or seek a dual degree may appeal for an extension of the maximum time frame provision of this policy. Appeals will be evaluated on an individual, case-by-case basis.

Post Secondary Education Options (PSEO) – Credits earned while a PSEO student at Hamline University will be included in the cumulative credit completion standard, GPA, and maximum time frame calculation. PSEO credits earned at another postsecondary institution will be treated as transfer credits for federal financial aid purposes.

Consortium/Joint Program Credits – Credits accepted by the University are included with attempted and earned credit totals.

Section 3. Implementation

Academic progress for every financial aid applicant will be monitored after each semester, including summer term. If the program is less than one year in length the review will take place at the mid-point. All of a student’s academic coursework is considered in the review process, whether the student received aid that term or not. The assessment will be based on the student’s entire academic record, including all transfer credit hours accepted.

Financial Aid Warning Status

If the student does not meet either the GPA or Credit Completion standard, the student will be placed on Financial Aid warning for the next registered term. While on warning status, students are eligible to receive financial aid. Students on warning status are encouraged to use the many academic support services on campus to improve their academic standing.

To be removed from financial aid warning status the student must meet GPA and credit completion standards. A student who has reached the maximum time frame prior to completing the program will no longer eligible for financial aid.

Financial Aid Ineligibility/Suspension

Students who do not meet the minimum cumulative GPA and/or credit completion ratio or do not meet the terms of financial aid warning status will be no longer eligible for federal, state or institutional aid. Students may be eligible for private loan programs and outside assistance that does not require SAP.

Provided the student’s academic status allows for registration, s/he may attend the University at his or her own expense until the minimum cumulative GPA and credit completion requirement has been met.

Hamline University may immediately deem a student ineligible for financial aid in the event of extraordinary circumstances, such as a student who registers for but does not earn any credits for two consecutive terms, or a student who demonstrates an attendance pattern that abuses the receipt of financial aid.

Students who failed to meet these standards due to unusual circumstances may appeal the financial aid SAP suspension status.

Academic Suspension

Students who have been suspended by the University are no longer eligible for financial aid. If a student is readmitted, s/he may need to complete the financial aid suspension appeal process. Eligibility for financial aid will be determined based on financial aid SAP standards through a review of the academic record.

Section 4. Right to Appeal

Financial Aid Ineligibility/Suspension

A student who is unable to achieve SAP and is suspended from receiving financial aid has the right to appeal. The student may appeal the financial aid suspension status within 14 days of date of suspension notification or prior to the start of the term.  If appeals are received after the start of the term, they will be considered, provided there is an acceptable reason for the delay.  Students are encouraged to submit appeals if:

  • The record shows that the student has now earned the required cumulative minimum GPA and credit completion ratio to meet SAP standards.
  • The student is readmitted after suspension by the University.
  • Unusual circumstances interfered with the student’s ability to meet SAP standards, including but not limited to:
    • Illness, accident, or injury experienced by the student or a significant person in the student’s life.
    • Death of a family member or significant person in the student’s life.
    • Divorce experienced by the student or parent.
    • Reinstatement after an academic dismissal or extended break in the student’s enrollment.
    • Personal problems or issues with spouse, family, roommate, or other significant person.
    • Exceeding time frame while in a second undergraduate or dual degree program or as a result of changing major.

To appeal, students must submit to the Financial Aid Office the following:

  1. A statement from the student explaining the nature of the extenuating circumstances that contributed to the SAP deficiency with an explanation of how the barriers/circumstances to academic success have been removed.
  2. Third party documentation to support the circumstances, if applicable.
  3. Approved academic plan developed by the student and the Academic Advising office.

Financial Aid Probation

If the student successfully appeals the financial aid ineligibility/suspension status, the student will be placed on Financial Aid probation for their next registered term. While on probation, students are eligible to receive financial aid. Students on probation status are encouraged to use the many academic support services on campus to improve their academic standing.

To be removed from financial aid probation for following terms, the student must meet the general SAP GPA and credit completion standards or meet the terms listed in their specific approved academic plan.  If after any review period the student is no longer meeting the terms of the academic plan or the general SAP standards, Hamline will suspend federal, state and institutional aid.

Return of Financial Aid

Change in Enrollment Status

A student that withdraws or decreases enrollment status may receive a decrease in the institutional charges. (See withdraw charges policy from Student Accounts Office)

Return of Financial Aid

The date on record of a student’s withdrawal or leave is calculated based on when the student officially notifies Hamline of the withdrawal or leave or the last date of documented attendance. However, the withdrawal from all your classes prior to the term census date (generally after the first 10 days of the semester, or a rolling census date in the case of short/modular courses) will necessitate the return of all of your financial aid. However, if a student is able to document class attendance for each course prior to the term census date, the last date of attendance may be used. The documentation must be completed within 7 days of the withdrawal date to be considered.

At any point that a student receives a 100% refund of tuition; all state, institutional and private sources of aid will be returned.

If a student changes enrollment status after census day, the financial aid package may be adjusted to reflect the eligible available aid at the new enrollment level.

Federal (Title IV) Refund Policy

Students that receive federal aid who cease enrollment after a term starts and before completing 60% of the term will need to return a portion of their federal aid. The percentage of federal aid returned is determined from a calculation using the effective withdrawal or leave date on record and number of days in the period of enrollment.

The federal refund calculation and return of federal aid may also need to be completed for any withdrawn or dropped courses within the term, if the student is enrolled in a term which has at least one class that is offered in modules or short classes that do not extend the entire term.

State Refund Policy

Students that receive state aid who cease enrollment prior to census date will have all their state aid returned. If a student ceases attendance after the census date and before completing 60% of the term they will need to return a portion of their state aid. The percentage of state aid returned is determined from a calculation using the effective withdrawal or leave date along with other considerations such as percentage of award funded by state funds, payment on accounts, and amount refunded to federal programs.

Institutional Refund Policy

Students who receive merit and/or need based institutional grants and scholarships and who cease enrollment prior to the census date will have all of their institutional aid returned. If they cease attendance after the census date, the aid is reduced by the same percent as the student’s tuition is reduced.


Scholarship Funds

Students eligible for financial aid are provided assistance through a variety of scholarships from several sources, annual and endowed. Hamline is especially grateful to the many benefactors who have established permanent endowed scholarships, the income from which forms an integral part of Hamline’s financial aid program.

Scholarships for New Students

Hamline University offers academic merit scholarships for new students based on their high school records and standardized test scores. Students who transfer to Hamline with 24 or more college credits receive scholarships based on the college grades. Contact the Office of Undergraduate Admission for details.

United Methodist Matching Scholarship Program (Local)

Hamline University will match up to $1000 per year, renewable for three additional years, a scholarship awarded to a student from their local United Methodist Church. The scholarship check should be mailed directly to the Hamline University Financial Aid Office and identify the student recipient. Only one contribution will be matched if a student has both a local United Methodist Church Scholarship and a National United Methodist Church Scholarship.

United Methodist Church Scholarship (National)

Please see the United Methodist Church General Board of Higher Education and Ministry’s website ( and the United Methodist Higher Education Foundation website ( to obtain updated information on national UMC scholarship options available to active United Methodist Church members. Financial Aid will match qualifying national scholarships up to $1000. Only one contribution will be matched if a student has both a local United Methodist Church Scholarship and a qualifying National United Methodist Church Scholarship.