Jun 20, 2018  
2016-2017 Undergraduate Bulletin 
2016-2017 Undergraduate Bulletin [Archived Bulletin]

Academic Standards and Policies

Note: Changes in the following standards and policies may go into effect periodically. The following are policies that apply specifically to undergraduate students; however, additional Hamline University policies apply as well. Visit www.hamline.edu/policies for more information.)

Academic Calendar
Academic Integrity and the Hamline

     University Academic Honor Code
Academic Load
Adding, Dropping, and Withdrawing
     from Courses
Classification of Status of Students
Course Evaluations
Course Numbers and Course Types
Course Prerequisites and Schedules
Coursework Taken at Other Institutions
Credit Hour Policy
Credit Value

Academic Calendar

The Academic Calendar can be found at: www.hamline.edu/academiccalendar. Please note that this calendar is subject to change.

Hamline follows a 4-1-4 academic calendar. During each of the 15-week fall and spring terms a student has a normal schedule of four 4-credit courses. Students have the option of taking one 4-credit course in the one-month winter term. In a nine-month academic year a student typically completes 32 semester credits. New students normally begin classes in either the fall or spring term. The calendar offers flexibility in curriculum planning and opens the way for the student to combine a variety of off-campus experiences with classroom learning. Many students have used the winter term for independent study projects requiring off-campus study, or for study abroad.

Summer session is considered separate from the regular academic year. During summer, two four-week terms and an overlapping ten-week term are scheduled. Summer study at Hamline enables students to make up credits, accelerate progress toward their degrees, take courses that might be difficult to schedule in a regular term, or take advantage of reduced summer tuition.

Students should consult the summer term website at www.hamline.edu/summer for further information.


Academic Integrity and the Hamline University Academic Honor Code

Statement of Purpose

Every member of the Hamline University community—students, faculty, administrators, and staff—is responsible for upholding the highest standards of academic integrity at all times. The assumption that academic work is an honest reflection of one’s knowledge and skills is fundamental to the integrity of Hamline University and to the value of a Hamline diploma. If students at an institution of higher education develop a reputation for receiving grades based on honest work, GPAs and academic degrees held by all students from that institution are valued more highly. The faculty subscribe to standards of academic honesty in their research and teaching. Every person in the University is responsible for adhering to the principles of the Academic Honor Code.


Academic dishonesty includes any act that has the effect, or intention, of giving one student an unfair advantage over others in the completion or evaluation of academic work and/or inaccurately representing one’s academic work. Prohibited conduct under the Code includes, but is not limited to, the following:


  • Using notes or other source materials (without instructor permission) on a quiz/exam 
  • Copying another student’s answers on a quiz/exam 
  • Using electronic devices (e.g., phones, pagers, computers, calculators) in an unauthorized manner during an exam 
  • Copying another student’s homework assignment 
  • Submitting, in whole or in part, a paper that is not your own work (e.g., purchasing a paper on the internet or submitting another student’s paper) 
  • Collaborating on a take-home exam assigned to be completed individually 
  • Altering answers on a graded exam or assignment in order to resubmit your work for a better grade. 


Plagiarism is the act of using ideas and information from any source, published or unpublished, without proper attribution (e.g., from a book, journal, newspaper, report, speech, media broadcast, interview, or the internet). Includes but is not limited to:

  • Quoting, paraphrasing, or otherwise using text from a source without crediting the author 
  • Copying sentences, phrases, or other language verbatim from a source without using quotation marks 
  • Presenting work completed by another individual (including another student) as your own.

Making Multiple Submissions  

  • Submitting, without prior authorization, a paper or assignment completed for one class to fulfill a requirement for another class. 

Fabricating Information  

  • Using and/or submitting fabricated or altered information for any academic exercise or requirement; e.g., making up data for an experiment or citing non-existent sources in a paper 
  • Fabricating or lying about reasons for requesting an extension on a quiz/exam, paper, or other assignment.

Using Materials in an Unauthorized Manner

  • Stealing or otherwise acquiring unauthorized access to examinations or faculty instructional materials 
  • Removing books, periodicals, or other sources from the library without permission 
  • Damaging books, periodicals, and other library sources 
  • Keeping library and reference materials beyond permitted time with the intent of preventing others from using them (e.g., items on reserve). 

Misrepresenting Academic Records

  • Misrepresenting or tampering with, or attempting to misrepresent or tamper with, any portion of an academic record either before, during, or after enrollment at Hamline 
  • Forging a signature on a declaration of major, change of grade, or other form 
  • Altering, or attempting to alter, academic computer records 
  • Falsifying academic information on a resume. 

Facilitating Academic Dishonesty

  • Knowingly engaging in any act that facilitates the academic dishonesty of another student; e.g., permitting another student to copy your answers on a quiz/exam or assignment 
  • Giving or selling a quiz/exam, paper, or assignment to another student 
  • Informing students in later sections of a class of questions on a quiz/exam. 

Violations and Sanctions  

Violations of the Academic Honor Code will be dealt with seriously. If a student is accused of engaging in academic dishonesty in a class, the faculty member may decide on a sanction for the student (e.g., assign a failing grade for an exam or the course). The student will be informed of the alleged violation, the evidence upon which the allegation is based, and the sanction to be imposed. The faculty member will file a violation form with the Office of the Dean where the course is housed, which will maintain a permanent record of reported student violations. Students may appeal to the Chair of the Department in which the class is housed. Should a student be dissatisfied with the decision of the Department Chair, the student may appeal to the appropriate academic Dean. The decision from that office will be final.

Sanctions for students found to have engaged in academic dishonesty may include:

  • Failing or receiving a lower grade on an exam, paper, or assignment 
  • Failing or receiving a lower grade for a course 
  • Academic suspension or expulsion


Academic Load

The typical program of study consists of 32 credits distributed annually over fall, winter, and spring terms. The maximum credit load allowed is 20 credits in the fall or spring terms, 4 credits in the winter term, and 8 credits in the summer term. (Exception: registration in a 0.5 credit mathematics or science seminar or theatre production experience is allowed beyond the maximum credit load.)



Hamline University is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission (HLC), a regional accreditation agency that accredits degree granting institutions of higher education that are based in the 19-state North Central region of the United States. More information about Hamline University’s accreditation status may be found on the HLC website. The Commission is located at 230 South LaSalle Street, Suite 7-500, Chicago, Illinois 60604-1413 and can be reached at 800-621-7440.

Hamline University is also accredited by the:

  • American Bar Association
  • American Chemical Society
  • National Association of Schools of Music
  • National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education
  • University Senate of the United Methodist Church
  • Minnesota Department of Education/Board of Teaching

The university holds memberships in the:

  • Association of American Colleges and Universities
  • Association of Independent Liberal Arts Colleges for Teacher Education
  • American Association of Colleges for Teacher Education
  • American Association of Collegiate Registrars and Admission Officers
  • American Association of Higher Education
  • Associated New American Colleges and Universities
  • American Council on Education
  • College Board of Council for Advancement and Support of Education
  • Minnesota Association of Colleges for Teacher Education
  • National Association for College Admission Counseling
  • National Council on Undergraduate Research

Hamline University is approved for attendance of non-immigrant foreign students under the Immigration and Nationality Act.


Adding, Dropping, and Withdrawing from Courses

The deadlines for adding and dropping courses are listed on the annual academic calendar at www.hamline.edu/academiccalendar. Students who withdraw from courses after the drop deadline receive a grade of W. Registrations dropped during the first two weeks of fall or spring term and the first two days of winter and summer terms are not permanently recorded. For partial term classes, add, drop, and withdraw dates are adjusted accordingly. For information related to withdrawal from Hamline University, please see the Leave of Absence or Withdrawal section below.



It is the student’s responsibility to drop or withdraw from any classes they no longer plan to attend.

Students must attend the first class meeting of all courses for which they are registered. The instructor has the option to drop a student from a course if the student was not in attendance on the first day and had not made prior arrangements with the instructor. If an instructor opts to drop a student for not attending the first day of class, the instructor will contact the Registration and Records office to have the student officially dropped from the class roster. The student will be notified by email. Students must not assume they have been dropped if they did not attend the first day of class.

Thereafter, students are responsible to their instructors for class attendance and for all required work in each course, including work missed because of absence. In dealing with class absences, the instructor may require make-up or additional work; may lower the student’s final grade in the course; or may advise the student to withdraw. Academic penalties, including failure of a course, may be imposed for missing class meetings or late assignments. Students are not permitted to attend classes for which they are not registered.


Classification and Status of Students

First-Year status: 0 to 31.99 credits
Sophomore status: 32.00 to 63.99 credits
Junior status: 64.00 to 95.99 credits
Senior status: 96 credits and above

Full-time status for Hamline undergraduate students is defined as a minimum of 12 semester credits per fall or spring term; half-time status is defined as a minimum of 6 semester credits per term.



Although the words are often interchanged, “graduation” and “commencement” have different meanings. Graduation occurs when a student has fulfilled all degree requirements. A student may graduate at any point during the academic year, as long as all degree requirements are met.

Commencement is a ceremony held to celebrate the academic achievements of Hamline University students. Participation in commencement does not mean that a student has graduated. A student will not graduate and a degree will not be conferred until all requirements are met, regardless of participation in the commencement ceremony.

Hamline University holds one commencement ceremony each year at the end of spring term. Undergraduate students who have not yet completed all degree requirements may participate in commencement provided that: 1) no more than 8 credits remain after spring term to complete degree requirements; and 2) all remaining requirements will be completed during the summer following commencement.

Completion of all degree requirements and clearance of all financial obligations is required in order to receive a diploma. Diplomas are distributed four times per year, following each term in which students may graduate.


Course Evaluations

All students are expected to participate in the online course evaluation process that the College of Liberal Arts, School of Business, and School of Education administer. Students should consider course evaluations to be part of the work of the course, just like exams and assignments. Individual professors, the Faculty Personnel Committee, and the Dean’s office staff read these evaluations carefully and make personnel decisions and curricular changes as a result of student feedback.

Access to view grades may be delayed if a student fails to complete the course evaluation during the open period.


Course Numbers and Course Types

The first digit of each course number indicates the course level. The criteria for determining course levels are:

1XXX: introductory level courses
3XXX: intermediate level courses primarily intended for sophomores, juniors, and seniors
5XXX: advanced level courses primarily intended for juniors and seniors, most 5000-level courses have prerequisites

ACTC (Associated Colleges of the Twin Cities) Cross-Registration Exchange Program

(Course numbers vary) Hamline students who wish to register for courses during the regular academic year under the cross-registration exchange program with Augsburg, Macalester, College of St. Catherine, and University of St. Thomas may do so in the Student Administrative Services office. This process takes place during the published registration periods. To participate, Hamline students must be full-time, undergraduate degree-seeking students and may enroll in one course per term as long as it is not offered at Hamline during the same term. Consult Student Administrative Services for specific policy information.

All courses taken under this program are considered to be Hamline courses, provided the work is relevant to a Hamline degree, and are recorded on the student’s Hamline record. Credits and grades earned are included in the calculation of the grade point average. The ACTC exchange program is not in effect for summer school classes. For further information, please see www.hamline.edu/actc.

Apprentice Teaching

(Course number 4030) Students may earn a maximum of 4 apprentice teaching credits, graded on the Pass/No Pass system. Apprentice teachers assist faculty with their teaching responsibilities. Registration forms are available in the Student Administrative Services office or at www.hamline.edu/registrar/forms and are due by the last day to add classes in the term of registration.

Collaborative Research

(Course number 4010, or as designated by a specific department) Collaborative research projects offer students the chance to pursue independent study in greater depth with a faculty member, often in conjunction with the professor’s own research. These projects are commonly precursors to Departmental Honors. Proposal forms are available in the Student Administrative Services office or at www.hamline.edu/registrar/forms and are due by the last day to add classes in the term of registration.

Departmental Honors

(Course number 5010) Departmental Honors study is available to selected students. Refer to Departmental Honors at Graduation below.

Independent Study

(Course numbers 1970, 3970, 5970) An independent study project is designed by the student to pursue an area of study not covered by the established curriculum. They are usually registered in a designated academic department but can be taken for interdisciplinary credit (INTD) if listed as such on the proposal form. Independent study projects are graded on the A-F scale.

Students are expected to describe in advance the questions they propose to investigate or goals they hope to achieve, what they intend to do to carry out these investigations or achieve these goals, and the criteria for evaluating the results. Offered without class attendance and with a minimum of formal supervision by an instructor, independent study is important in the educational program at Hamline because it enables students to use critical tools they have developed in investigating areas not covered by the regular curriculum.

Independent studies normally carry 4 credits. Students are expected to do the equivalent amount of work for 4 credits, usually involving 80-120 hours. Proposal forms are available in the Student Administrative Services office or at www.hamline.edu/registrar/forms and are due by the last day to add classes in the term of registration.

Individual Study

(Course numbers are as designated in the curriculum section) If a class is not offered during the term the student needs to take it, students may take the class on an individual study basis with instructor permission. Instructors work individually with students to complete the coursework.

Individual study requires instructor approval; however, instructors are not obligated to teach their classes in this format. Individual study is graded on the A-F letter grading system. Forms are available in the Student Administrative Services office or at www.hamline.edu/registrar/forms and are due by the last day to add classes in the term of registration.


(Course numbers 3960, 3990, or 5990) Internships are student planned and directed learning experiences that provide opportunities to integrate academic, professional, and personal skill development. The internship program allows students to experience supervised, meaningful work in a professional setting. To receive credit for an internship, students must work a minimum of 120 hours (150 hours for Legal Studies internships) at the internship work site and complete academic and reflective work under the supervision of a Hamline faculty member. Students must submit a LEAP Learning Agreement (LLA) to the Career Development Center (CDC), as well as three internship performance evaluations by the designated due dates for all registered internships. All internship paperwork is available in the CDC, and internship-related due dates, policies and procedures may be found on the CDC website (www.hamline.edu/cdc).

Students may opt to complete one of two types of internships:

  1. Individual Internships: Internships that are completed by students independent of a seminar or practicum class. Students may register for a 4-credit or 0-credit internship; 0-credit internships registered in summer term incur a $525 administrative fee. All registered internships fulfill the LEAP requirement (“P”) of the Hamline Plan. Individual internships are graded using the designation HP (high pass), P (pass), or N (no credit). These grades are not calculated in the GPA. With instructor permission, a student may opt to be graded on the A-F grading scale by indicating this choice on the LEAP Learning Agreement form. (The form must be submitted by the due date in order to use the A-F grading scale.) Individual internship credits are considered to be interdisciplinary credits (INTD) unless approved for major or minor credit by a department chair on the LEAP Learning Agreement.
  2. Seminar or practicum classes: Internships that are completed as part of a seminar or practicum class. These courses satisfy major, minor, or certificate requirements. A total of 4 credits are granted for the internship and the seminar class combined. The seminar or practicum courses may have a different course number designated by the department in which it is offered. Please refer to the departments’ curricular offerings for more information.

Registration for an internship is due by the last day to add classes for that term. No more than 12 internship credits can be applied toward a degree. Assistance with the internship search, registration and paperwork processes is available with the Internship Program Director and staff in the Career Development Center.

Special Topics Courses

(Course numbers 1980, 3980, 5980) Courses designated with these numbers are Special Topics and are not part of the regular university curriculum. A student’s major or minor advisor or department chair must grant permission to use Special Topics courses toward major or minor requirements.

Any academic department may offer topics courses; they are generally new or experimental courses. A Special Topics course can be offered two times before it must be approved through the undergraduate faculty to become a standard part of the curriculum and awarded its own course number.


Course Prerequisites and Schedules

Many courses require previous coursework (e.g. MATH 3560, Modern Geometry, has a prerequisite of MATH 1180, Calculus II). Prerequisites are listed with each course description in the Bulletin and on the Piperline online schedule. Course schedules are available to students through the Hamline website at www.hamline.edu/classschedules.

Students are permitted to register for a course that requires prerequisites provided the prerequisite coursework is in progress at the time of registration. However, if the final grade earned in the prerequisite coursework is insufficient, that registration will be voided. The University may drop a student from any course for which prerequisite grade standards have not been met.

A student administratively dropped from a course for not meeting prerequisite standards will be required to consult with Academic Advising and/or the faculty advisor to ensure that they maintain the appropriate course load and continue to make academic progress toward their degree.


Coursework Taken at Other Institutions

A student registered at Hamline in a degree program should consult his or her advisor (for coursework to be applied to a major or minor) or the Registration and Records office (for general education coursework) before enrolling for academic work at another institution. The purpose of this consultation is to gain assurance in advance that the proposed study will be accepted for transfer to Hamline. The chair of the academic department must approve academic work to be credited toward the major or minor.

For detailed information about transfer of credit, please see the Transfer of Credit section under Admission Procedures, Finances, Financial Aid, and Transfer of Credit.  

Grade points earned at another institution are not transferable to Hamline. In other words, coursework grades from other institutions will not affect the Hamline GPA with the following exceptions:

  1. courses taken through the ACTC exchange program;
  2. all courses sponsored by the Upper Midwest Association for Intercultural Education (UMAIE) during the winter term;
  3. integral Hamline programs sponsored by other institutions. This applies only to work taken while registered as a degree-seeking Hamline student.

Transcripts and other documents submitted from other institutions and agencies are the property of Hamline University and will not be reissued to applicants, students, alumni, or other parties.


Credit Hour Policy

Hamline University uses the definition of a credit hour as recommended by the US Department of Education:

Federal Credit Hour Definition: A credit hour is an amount of work represented in intended learning outcomes and verified by evidence of student achievement that is an institutionally-established equivalency that reasonably approximates not less than: (1) one academic hour of classroom or direct faculty instruction and a minimum of two hours of out-of-class student work each week for approximately fifteen weeks for one semester or trimester hour of credit, or ten to twelve weeks for one quarter hour of credit, or the equivalent amount of work over a different amount of time; or (2) at least an equivalent amount of work as required in paragraph (1) of this definition for other activities as established by an institution, including laboratory work, internships, practica, studio work, and other academic work leading toward to the award of credit hours.

This definition of a credit hour applies to courses at all levels. However, any college within the University may choose to set a policy requiring learning outcomes equivalent to more work than is defined in the federal credit hour definition.


Credit Value

The standard unit of measurement is the semester credit. The majority of classes carry a value of 4 credits. Some courses are valued at 0.5, 1, or 2 credits. Credit values are indicated on schedules and class listings.

For purposes of transferring credits, 6 quarter credits or 1 term credit is equivalent to 4 semester credits. Quarter credits may be converted into semester credits by dividing the number of quarter credits by 1.5 (or multiplying by 0.667). Term credits may be converted into semester credits by multiplying the number of term credits by 4. Applicants transferring credits should check with the Office of Undergraduate Admission to determine credit equivalence. Once application acceptance has occurred, check with Registration and Records to confirm credit equivalence.


Dean’s List

The Dean’s List policy in this Undergraduate Bulletin applies to all students regardless of matriculation term. The Dean’s List recognition at the end of either fall or spring term is based on the following criteria:

  • a term GPA of 3.500 or higher;
  • satisfactory completion of at least 16 credits for the term;
  • a minimum of 16 credits graded on the A-F scale for the term.

Courses that are graded HP/P/N will not be counted towards the 16 credits needed to make the Dean’s List. A student is excluded from the Dean’s List if an N or F or I grade is received. Courses taken in January (winter term), May term, or during the summer do not count toward the required credits for either fall or spring term.


Final Examinations

Final examinations are held at the end of each term according to a schedule established by the Registration and Records office. No final examination may be taken before the regularly scheduled time. Students are not required to take more than two final exams per day in any given term. Students who are scheduled to take more than two final exams on the same day should show their student class schedule to their instructors, and instructors will make reasonable accommodations to adjust the student’s exam dates.


Four-Year Assurance of Graduation

First-year students at Hamline University may enter into a partnership with the institution to ensure completion of their bachelor’s degree within four years. The student and the university share the responsibility for the success of this endeavor. Should Hamline fail to meet its responsibilities, and provided the student fulfilled her/his responsibilities, the university will provide the additional course or courses needed to complete the degree in the following academic year—at no additional tuition cost.*

A college education requires significant individual responsibility on the part of students. Hamline has in place a proven system of support to facilitate student choice and aid in student intellectual development and the attainment of educational goals. The Hamline Plan, faculty advisors, and academic and student services help students develop and find success in a four-year time frame. The Four-Year Assurance of Graduation does not apply to transfer students.

Student Responsibilities

  • Each year students must successfully complete 32 semester credits.
  • Students must satisfactorily earn at least a 2.00 GPA each term (passing all major courses with grades of C- or better).
  • Students must consult with faculty advisors prior to the opening of registration to ensure the timely completion of the Hamline Plan.
  • Students must declare a major by the end of the sophomore year** and work in a timely fashion to complete Undergraduate Bulletin stated requirements.
  • Students must register for classes at the times scheduled by the Registration and Records office, according to their class standing.
  • Students must apply to graduate by the end of their junior year.

Hamline Responsibilities

  • Hamline will provide course offerings necessary for students’ fulfillment of the Hamline Plan.
  • Hamline will provide faculty advising and advising support for degree programs.***
  • Hamline will provide tuition-free coursework in the fifth academic year if the university fails to meet the above obligations.

* Fees and Room and Board are not included.
** Although many Hamline students declare double majors and finish within four years, Hamline cannot assure that a student will complete more than one major in four years. This assurance does not require Hamline to provide additional coursework beyond the fourth year to complete a double major or double degree.
*** The four-year assurance policy does not extend to special programs such as Early Admission Law, education licensure, or any certificate program.


Grade Definitions and Grading Information

Grade   Honor Points   Definitions
A   4.0   Excellent
A -   3.7    
B +   3.3    
B   3.0   Good
B -   2.7    
C +   2.3    
C   2.0   Fair
C -   1.7    
D +   1.3    
D   1.0   Barely Passing
D -   0.7    
F   0.0   Failing-no credit
HP   *   High Pass
P   *   Pass-(Equal to a C- grade or better), internships, credit by examination, and student teaching courses.
N   *   No credit
W   *   Withdrawn
EX   *   Term registered, final grading into later term.
I   *   Incomplete-indicates further work is to be completed. Unless finished by the terms of the incomplete contract, the grade becomes F or N.
AU   *   Audit

* Not computed in GPA.
Grades must be a C- or higher to apply to major, minor, or certificate requirements. Graduation requirements are not considered complete until all courses have final grades (no incompletes; no ungraded courses).

Auditing Courses

Full-time students may audit courses without extra charge with permission of the instructor involved. Such auditing must be recorded with the Registration and Records office. A $100 fee is charged for part-time and special students choosing to audit. An audit registration form is available in Student Administrative Services or at www.hamline.edu/registrar/forms. A final grade of AU is assigned to the student’s permanent record. No credit is earned. An audit is irreversible; once registration is entered on an audit basis, it cannot be changed to a credit basis.


Regularly scheduled courses, independent studies, and internships are to be completed within one term. With an instructor’s approval, a student may take an incomplete (“I”) in a course. An “I” will be given only in unusual circumstances that are beyond the control of the student. An “I” cannot be granted for failing or uncompleted work (a substantial portion of the work must have already been completed). An instructor must update an “I” to a final grade within four months after the end of the registration term (or by August 31 if the student intends to graduate in the summer). Otherwise, the “I” will convert to an “F” grade.

If an “I” has been converted to an “F,” the student may complete the necessary coursework, at the instructor’s discretion, within one year in accordance with the grade change policy. The student may not complete coursework after that time.

Note: All instructors enter “I” grades via Piperline before a term’s grading deadline. However, for undergraduate students, the instructor must also file an agreement for an incomplete (completed between the undergraduate student and the instructor) with his/her department chair before the final grade deadline for the term. The form is available at www.hamline.edu/registrar/forms.

Pass/No Pass (P/N) Grading Option

Students are allowed choose the Pass/No Pass grade option for one course each academic year at Hamline. Students must declare their intent to take a course P/N by the official drop/add date of that term. The Pass/No Pass card must be signed by the department chair of the course to be taken and delivered to the Student Administrative Services office by the published deadline. Once declared, the P/N decision is irreversible.

A grade of P is given only for courses that would otherwise be graded C- or higher. Not all courses may be taken on a P/N basis (first-year seminar, for example). Academic departments are under no obligation to offer a P/N option in a class. Courses required in a student’s major should not ordinarily be taken P/N and some departments do not allow P/N options to majors. Students on academic probation may not take a course P/N. Internships, student teaching, and courses designated P/N do not count in the student’s one-per-year limit. Please see the General Honors at Graduation (Latin Honors) policy for information related to Pass/No Pass grading.

Repeat of D, F, or N Grades

Only those courses in which grades below a C- were received may be repeated for credit/GPA purposes. All grades earned remain permanently on the transcript record; however, only the grade and credit recorded for the last time the D, F, or N graded course is taken are used in the calculation of the cumulative GPA and credits earned. Students incur normal tuition charges for repeated courses. When a repeated course is a transfer course, the repeated grade is not counted in the Hamline GPA.

Grade Reports, Transcripts, and Records

Grade reports are available for students to view on the university’s secure website (Piperline at www.hamline.edu/piperline). Midterm grades are reported for fall and spring terms only and are not part of a student’s permanent record. Final grades are available approximately two weeks after the last day of the term.

Students’ records are confidential and information is released only at the request of the student or of appropriate institutions and officials. For the protection of current and former students, all transcript requests must be submitted in writing and personally signed or submitted via the university’s secure website and electronically signed (www.hamline.edu/piperline). No transcript will be released until all financial obligations to Hamline have been met. A transcript request should be submitted at least three days in advance of the date on which it is needed. For more information, see www.hamline.edu/transcript. Once students are awarded their undergraduate degrees from Hamline, no changes can be made to their official academic records.

Transcripts and other documents submitted from other institutions and agencies are the property of Hamline University and will not be reissued to applicants, students, alumni, or other parties.


Grade Change and Appeal

Faculty Initiated Grade Change

Faculty members may apply to change a student’s initial grade up to a year after the grade was initially due. The requested change is pending approval of the respective dean’s office. The faculty initiated grade change form (Application for Change of Undergraduate Grade) can be downloaded via the Faculty Services tab in Piperline under the “Hamline Faculty Document Menu.” Faculty log-in is required to access the form.

Student Initiated Grade Change and Appeal

Grade Change
Students may request of their instructors course grade changes based on a claim of clerical mistake, oversight, omission, or arbitrary and capricious grade assignment and must do so within 30 calendar days of the date the grade was issued. The grade change procedure is not to be used to challenge grades on individual assignments. It is the responsibility of the student to determine whether the grade change request must be made sooner than this deadline in situations where prerequisite course requirements are involved in the student’s course sequence.

Students must meet with their instructor to request a grade change. To start the grade change request process, the student must contact the instructor to request a face-to-face meeting, and the instructor must respond in a timely manner to schedule the meeting. If the instructor or the student is no longer on campus, or if the student has a compelling reason why a face-to-face meeting would not be feasible, the instructor will engage in timely written communications with the student about the grade change request.

A decision regarding a requested grade change will be made by the faculty member within three weeks, or, if the request was submitted on a date outside the dates of a full semester (as defined by the program offering the course), within three weeks after the start of the academic semester following the receipt of the grade change request. By the applicable deadline, the faculty member will notify the student of the decision regarding the grade change, and, if the faculty member decides to change the course grade, the faculty member will also notify the Registrar. The Registrar will send confirmation of the grade change to the faculty member and student.

Grade Appeal
No grade appeal may be filed unless a grade change has first been sought and a decision reached. The grade appeal procedure shall be utilized if a student has been unsuccessful in achieving a grade change and wishes to pursue the matter further. As with grade change requests, the appeal procedure is only for course grades and is not to be used to challenge grades on individual assignments. In addition, the appeal procedure may be used only when the student contends that the course grade was assigned on an arbitrary or capricious basis. “Arbitrary or capricious” implies that:

The student has been assigned a course grade on the basis of something other than his or her performance in the course; or

The course grade is based upon standards that are significant, unannounced and unreasonable departures from those standards articulated in the course description or standards otherwise clearly conveyed to the students in the course.

Grade appeal process

  1. The student must first communicate with the instructor and request a grade change under the grade change process identified above.

  2. If the student is unsuccessful in achieving a grade change and wishes to further pursue the matter, he or she must submit a completed Grade Appeal Request Form, with all materials supporting the grade appeal, to the department chairperson or designated academic administrator (or Dean, if the department chairperson or designated academic administrator was the instructor)

Students can download the Grade Appeal Request Form at hamline.edu/registrar/forms. The student is to complete Part 1. Department chair or dean will complete Part 2. Both forms, completed and signed, are required.

  1. The student must request the grade appeal no later than six months following the end of the academic term in which the course was taken, or within 30 calendar days of notification from the instructor as to the decision on the grade change request, whichever is later. Any application for a grade appeal after this deadline will not be accepted.
  2. The department chairperson or designated academic administrator (or Dean, if the department chairperson or designated academic administrator was the instructor) will consider the appeal and
    may request additional information if needed for consideration of the grade appeal.
  3. The department chairperson or designated academic administrator (or Dean where applicable) will make his or her best effort to communicate with the instructor regarding any grade appeal and allow for input from the instructor.
  4. A decision will be made by the department chairperson or designated academic administrator (or Dean where applicable) within three weeks of receiving the Grade Appeal Request Form, or, if the request was submitted on a date outside the dates of a full semester (as defined by the program offering the course), within three weeks after the start of the academic semester following the receipt of the grade appeal submission. This time line and the proceedings under this policy may be adjusted at the discretion of the department chairperson or designated academic administrator (or Dean where applicable) in the circumstances where the student has alleged a violation covered by the Discrimination and Harassment Policy in the award of a final grade.
  5. The department chairperson or designated academic administrator (or Dean where applicable) will provide notification of the decision to the student, the instructor, the Dean, and the Registrar, and will provide the student a copy of the Grade Appeal Request Form with the department chairperson’s or designated academic administrator’s section completed.
  6. If the student wishes to appeal the initial grade appeal decision, he or she may request, in writing, a review by the Dean of the department in which the course was taught. If the department chairperson or designated academic administrator was the instructor of the course and the Dean decided the initial grade appeal, the student may appeal by requesting, in writing, a review by the Associate Provost. The written request in either event must include a copy of the Grade Appeal Request Form, as completed by the person who decided the initial appeal, and all documents submitted with the form. The request must be received within 30 calendar days of the date that the student was notified of the initial grade appeal decision. The Dean or Associate Provost shall make a decision within 30 calendar days of receipt of the appeal materials. This decision is final.
  7. The Dean or Associate Provost will notify the student and the instructor of the final decision and provide the student a copy of the Grade Appeal Request Form with the Dean’s section completed. The Dean, or the Associate Provost, will notify the Registrar of any course grade change.


Graduation Application

To satisfy the student responsibilities outlined in the Hamline Four-Year Assurance of Graduation partnership (see Four-Year Assurance above), students must apply to graduate by the end of their junior year. Students submit the Graduation Application online via Piperline (go to Student Services - Student Records - Apply to Graduate). 

Applying to graduate is different and separate from registering to participate in the Commencement ceremony. Once a student has applied to graduate, they receive routine updates regarding progress toward meeting all graduation requirements.


Honors at Graduation

University Honors

Graduation with University Honors indicates that a student has participated in and successfully completed the University Honors program, Hamline’s most comprehensive honors program. Students in University Honors are required to excel in four areas, spanning the curricular and co-curricular realms: academic excellence, undergraduate research, contributions to community, and development as a lifelong learner. To graduate with University Honors, students must write their own honors proposals, laying out what they plan to do in each of the four areas, must achieve their stated goals, must reflect on all aspects of their honors achievements, and must successfully present their honors achievements at a capstone presentation before graduation.

Latin Honors

Graduation with Latin honors—cum laude, magna cum laude, and summa cum laude—indicates superior attainment in scholarship as reflected in a student’s GPA. To achieve Latin Honors upon graduation, students must have 60 or more credits graded on an A-F scale and earned in Hamline courses or under cross-registration with ACTC colleges and meet the following minimum cumulative GPA requirements: cum laude, 3.500; magna cum laude, 3.750; summa cum laude, 3.900. For the purposes of calculating Latin honors, GPAs are not rounded. Latin honors are awarded only upon completion of all degree requirements. Due to timing of final grades, Latin honors for the commencement program are calculated after J-Term.

Distinction in the Major: Departmental Honors

Graduation with distinction in the major indicates that a student has completed a Departmental Honors Project (DHP), a long-term capstone project that exhibits rigorous scholarship, originality of thought, relevance to the discipline, and excellence in the field. DHPs may emerge out of previous coursework, study-abroad experiences, collaborative research projects, or students’ intellectual passions. To be eligible to pursue DHPs, students must have a minimum GPA of 3.25 in the major and must have demonstrated a competency for pursuing independent work. Students usually begin formal work on DHPs in the spring of the junior year, and complete the DHP in the spring of the senior year. All DHPs must be defended before a committee of four or more members of the faculty.


Leave of Absence or Withdrawal

Leave of Absence

Students may request a leave of absence for academic, personal, or medical reasons. Requests for leaves of absence should be made to the Academic Advising office. The deadline to take a leave of absence coincides with the last day to withdraw from a full-term class with a notation of “W” on the transcript. The academic calendar (see www.hamline.edu/academiccalendar) is published annually and contains specific dates and deadlines. A leave may be granted for up to one full academic year.

Should a student wish to extend this leave beyond a year they must make the request to do in writing to personnel in Academic Advising, and must provide relevant documentation of the reason for the extension. The decision to grant an extension beyond one academic year will be at the discretion of Academic Advising personnel. Students not requesting an extension will be automatically withdrawn from the university after census day of the following term.


Undergraduate students who wish to withdraw from the university must inform Academic Advising in writing. Refunds and course cancellations will be arranged only upon such written notification. Withdrawal from the university results in the forfeiture of any Hamline grants or scholarships. A student who later wishes to return must apply for readmission through Registration and Records (and will not be eligible for grants and scholarships that had been awarded originally).


Military Leave

If an enrolled student is called to active duty, s/he should follow the standard procedures for taking a leave of absence from Hamline University. Undergraduate students should meet with an advisor in the Academic Advising office. Graduate students should contact the Registrar in the Student Administrative Services office. The student should provide a copy of their military orders.

Leave during the add/drop period

If the student is called to active duty during the standard add/drop period, they will be dropped from their courses for that term. The student will receive full tuition refund and the courses will not appear on their transcript.

Leave during the percentage withdrawal period

If the student is called to active duty during the percentage withdrawal period, the tuition and financial aid calculations will be processed as usual. The student will receive a grade of W for all courses for that semester.

Leave after the withdrawal period

If the student is called to active duty after the withdrawal period has ended, the student’s military orders will serve as a petition for late withdrawal. The student will be withdrawn from all courses. No tuition will be refunded and the student will receive W (withdrawal) notations for all courses for that semester.

Future tuition credit

Students who are determined to have paid tuition during the semester they are called to active duty are eligible to receive a credit for the amount paid. Following the withdrawal process, the amount of tuition paid will be determined by Student Accounts and Financial Aid in consultation with the Registrar’s office. Tuition paid includes cash or check, student loans, Pell Grant, Minnesota State Grant, SEOG and outside scholarships. Hamline scholarships and grants are not included in determining the future credit. The student will receive a letter stating the amount and terms for the credit. A copy of the letter will be kept on file in Financial Aid and the Registrar’s Office. The Financial Aid Office will apply the credit to the student’s account during the term the student re-enrolls. The credit will be valid no more than three years from the date the student commences the non-voluntary military leave.


Name and Gender Changes

All official name and/or gender change requests for current and former students must be made to Registration and Records. The Name Change form is found at www.hamline.edu/registrar/forms.

Name Changes: All current and former students have the opportunity to change their names on institutional records upon the production of evidence showing the student name has been officially changed, accompanied by a written request from the student. A copy of a court order, a marriage certificate, or a dissolution decree reflecting the new name in full are examples of the evidence required to support an official name change. Minor changes in names can be made without a court order at the discretion of the Registrar (for example, spelling corrections or revisions). In these instances the student must provide documentation such as a current driver’s license with photo, Social Security card, or resident alien card. Note that diplomas are issued with the student’s legal name on file at the time of degree completion.

Gender Changes: A copy of a court order is required, along with a written request from the student in order to change gender on institutional records. 



Students may request an exception to academic policy by submitting a petition to the Undergraduate Curriculum Committee. Submission of a petition does not guarantee approval. Petitions must be submitted in writing using a Petition of Academic Policy form available in Student Administrative Services or available to download at www.hamline.edu/registrar/forms. Specific directions regarding required signatures and supporting documentation are listed on the form.


Piperline and Email

All Hamline University students are expected to access the university’s secured website (Piperline) to register for classes, check class schedules, obtain grade reports, request official transcripts, make payments to student accounts, update addresses, and various other non-academic functions. Students receive their Piperline login information upon admission to Hamline. Piperline is available at www.hamline.edu/piperline.

All degree-seeking students are required to use their official Hamline email (Google) accounts and are responsible for any message sent to their Hamline account. Many official university communications are sent only via email such as issues related to registration, finances, graduation, and important deadlines. In addition, many instructors require the use of email in their classes. Student email accounts are generated when students register for classes for the first time. For more information see www.hamline.edu/email.

Students should also maintain their current addresses and phone numbers by updating the information through Piperline (or using the paper form available for download at www.hamline.edu/registrar/forms).


Probation and Suspension, Academic

Academic probation is intended as a means to identify, notify, and extend help to students who seem for whatever reason to be jeopardizing the possibility of their eventual graduation. It is not intended to be a punitive sanction against students who fail to meet the scholastic standards noted below:

Students may be placed on academic probation for any of the following reasons:

  • a cumulative GPA lower than 2.0 at the end of any term;
  • a term GPA lower than 1.7 at the end of any term;
  • more than one F or N grade in any one term;
  • an unsatisfactory progression rate for completion of course credits.

Academic probation or suspension status affects student athletes’ eligibility to compete. Student athletes should contact the Hamline University athletic compliance director with concerns regarding the NCAA and MIAC eligibility policy. The Student Progress Committee makes all decisions regarding probation and suspension. Students who are placed on academic probation at the end of a term have the next term enrolled in which to remove themselves from probation. Students not removed from probation within this period are subject to dismissal (suspension) from the university. After a minimum of one semester of suspension, a student may apply for readmission to Hamline University through the Office of Registration and Records.



Students are required to register at specified times that the Registration and Records office publishes annually. Returning students register for fall term during April of the prior academic year, and during November for winter and spring terms. Registration priority is based on the number of credits completed and in progress at the time of registration. New students register for their first semester with Academic Advising.

Students are responsible for accurate registration; credit can be received only in those courses for which a student is properly registered. A student is held responsible for every course for which he or she registers unless the course is officially canceled. Hamline reserves the right to cancel any courses offered during the academic year when it becomes necessary.

During the published registration periods, students may register for a maximum of 19 credits in the fall and spring terms, and 5 credits in the winter term. The purpose of this 19 credit limit is to effectively manage course enrollments. Students may add and drop courses on a space-available basis on Piperline up to the beginning of each term. Add/drop cards are used to make changes once a term has begun. Students may not exceed 20 credits in fall or spring terms but may make schedule adjustments up to a 20 credit maximum once classes begin through the end of the add/drop period. The academic calendar (see www.hamline.edu/academiccalendar) is posted annually and contains specific dates and deadlines for registration and related activities. Students who remain unregistered at the end of the add/drop period, and have not requested an official leave of absence through the Academic Advising office, will be administratively withdrawn from the university.

Instructor permission is required to register for a course after it has begun. Registration requests up to one year after a course has ended will be considered via the petition process; later requests will be denied. More registration information is also available from the Online Registration Guide at www.hamline.edu/registration.


Release of Student Information (FERPA)

Access to student records, which complies with the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (FERPA), is described below. For more FERPA information, see www.hamline.edu/ferpa.

  1. Definitions

Record: A record includes any data or information about you and related individuals, regardless of the media used to create or maintain the record.

Education Records: Education records include records maintained by the institution but exclude records maintained by individuals and available only to those individuals or designated substitutes (that is, “personal files”). Your education records are located and maintained by administrators in one or more of the following offices: Admissions; Academic Advising; Alumni Relations; Financial Aid; Registration and Records; Student Accounts, and faculty advisors’ offices. Note: The Registration and Records office is the only university office authorized to issue official transcripts and certify students’ enrollment status. All requests for such documentation must be directed to Student Administrative Services.

Public Information: Public information (also called “directory” information) includes your name, student ID number, address, e-mail address, phone number, dates of attendance, class standing, full-time or part-time enrollment status, photographs, previous institutions attended, major/minor field of study, degrees, honors, and awards, date and place of birth, and athletic participation. Records of arrests and/or convictions are public records and thus not subject to university policy. Note: If you wish to restrict the release of your directory information, you must do so by notifying the Undergraduate Registrar (East Hall 113).

  1. Release in Emergencies

    The confidentiality of all records may be broken in an emergency if deemed necessary by the severity of the emergency, the usefulness of the records, and the extent to which time is critical.

  2. Release to You

    Your records are available to you with the following exceptions: confidential letters of recommendation submitted prior to 1975; records of your parents’ financial status; records related to your student employment that are subject to other laws and are administered by the Human Resources office; medical and psychological records (which will be released only to a healthcare professional designated by you) and, if you signed a voluntary waiver of access, letters of recommendation related to admission, candidacy for awards, and candidacy for employment - these records may be used only for the purpose originally intended. You may see any of your available records within 45 days after submitting a written request to the Registration and Records office, either in person or by mail. You will receive an interpretation of the record upon request, at or after the time that access is granted.

  3. Release to Others
    Except as specified below, your records will be released only upon completion of a consent form or letter you have signed. Any such release will include a notice that further release by the recipient is prohibited by law. A record of the release will be maintained.

    Records about you will be released without your consent to your parents if you are a dependent as defined by the Internal Revenue Service; to federal officers as prescribed by law; as required by state law; to agencies or individuals conducting educational research (provided that the administrator of the records is satisfied concerning the legitimacy of the research effort and the confidentiality to be maintained by the researcher); to agencies responsible for accreditation of the institution or its programs; to military recruiters as required by the Solomon Amendment; in response to a lawful subpoena, after making reasonable attempts to provide prior notification and opportunity for objection by you; and to institutional security officers when necessary for a criminal investigation.

  4. Retention of Records
    Hamline University reserves the right to maintain only those records it considers useful and to set retention schedules for various categories of those records. However, the administrator responsible for each category of records will ensure that a record being challenged is not destroyed prior to resolution of the dispute.


Residency Credit Policy

All Hamline students are required to complete a minimum of 128 credits to graduate and obtain a minimum cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 2.0. 

Twenty-eight of the last 32 credits-and at least 56 total credits-must be completed in residence at Hamline or within the ACTC exchange, Hamline approved off-campus programs, or HECUA. Sixty residency credits graded A-F are required to be eligible for Latin honors at graduation.