2009-2010 Graduate Bulletin 
    Oct 03, 2023  
2009-2010 Graduate Bulletin [Archived Bulletin]

Academic Standards

(Note: Changes in the following standards and policies may go into effect periodically.)

The following are policies that apply specifically to graduate students; however, additional Hamline University policies apply as well. Visit www.hamline.edu/policies for more information.

1. Academic Integrity-Graduate School Statement


Dishonesty of any kind in relation to academic work threatens the integrity of the academic enterprise and is prohibited at Hamline University. Such dishonesty includes plagiarism, ghost writing, and falsifying official information concerning one’s academic background or status.

Plagiarism is the unacknowledged use of another person’s work or ideas. Any passage copied verbatim, with small changes, or in paraphrase must be acknowledged with a citation. Ghost writing is preparing work for another or having another prepare one’s own work.

When a student is found to be in violation of the academic integrity policy, academic penalties may be prescribed by the instructor of the course in question including, but not restricted to, the requirement of additional work, an assignment of a failing grade on the work in question, or a failing grade for the entire course. When a student is found to have falsified official information, the administrative official responsible will determine whether the violation merits suspension from the university.

The student has the right to appeal the instructor’s or administrator’s decision to the appropriate graduate school dean, and if still dissatisfied, to the Vice President for Academic and Student Affairs. In the case where the dean is the instructor or administrator, a second member of the school/program faculty will be asked to perform an independent investigation and make a recommendation. The decision of the Vice President for Academic and Student Affairs is final.

2. Academic Progress for Graduate Students


Students must make satisfactory progress toward their degree or license. Students who, for example, have poor class attendance records, fail to complete several courses, or have a consistently low GPA may be suspended at the discretion of the program dean/ director and the faculty advisory committee.

3. Accommodations for Disabilities


Hamline University is committed to ensuring all qualified students equal access to academic and extracurricular activities. The goal of Disabilities Services is to enable students with disabilities to maximize their educational potential and to develop independence and self-advocacy skills to the fullest extent possible within the standard university curriculum.

Both Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) of 1990 governs Hamline University. Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 prohibits discrimination on the basis of disability against people in programs or activities receiving or benefiting from federal financial assistance. The ADA of 1990 is a federal civil rights law that guarantees equal opportunity for individuals with disabilities in state and local government services, public accommodations, employment, transportation, and telecommunications. It upholds and extends the standards for compliance set forth in section 504 to include all policies, procedures, and practices that impact the treatment of students with disabilities.

Hamline requires:

  • Recent and appropriate documentation from a qualified professional to verify the need for accommodations, adjustment, and/or services
  • Current documentation, including testing and diagnosis information, that has occurred within the past three years
  • Consultation with the student in determining appropriate accommodations, adjustments, and/or services timely requests for all accommodations, especially testing
  • Advance notice for any requests for alternate format materials. These materials can take up to six to eight weeks to obtain
  • A meeting with Disability Services at the beginning of each semester to review accommodations and to keep professors updated

Services and support provided may include, but are not limited to:

  • Alternate format reading materials
  • Books on tape
  • Braille
  • Large print
  • Assistive technology in accommodations room
  • Classroom note takers
  • Strategies for studying
  • Sign language interpreters
  • Testing services
    • Extended time
    • Reader
    • Reduced distraction room
  • Advocacy and tools for self-advocacy
  • Assistance with accessibility issues
  • Disability information for the University
  • Meetings with prospective students
  • Referrals for assessments
  • Priority registration if needed
  • Individual meetings
  • Community links
  • Liaisons to faculty, staff, and other university services

Undergraduate and graduate students who need accommodations should contact Kathryn Rainbolt, director of disability services, at 651-523-2521. If any student feels that the provisions in the above policy are not being met, they should contact Alan Sickbert, dean of students and grievance coordinator, located in Dean of Students Office, Old Main 112, or by telephone at 651-523-2134.

4. Attendance/Assignments


Students are not permitted to attend classes for which they are not registered.

Students are expected to attend all course meetings and to turn in all course work as assigned. Students who are unable to attend a class or submit an assignment in a timely manner should inform their instructor in advance. Academic penalties, including failure of a course, may be imposed for missing class meetings or late assignments. Expectations for online courses are handled on a course-by-course basis.

Students who miss class to observe religious holidays or to attend political caucuses will not be penalized if arrangements are made with the instructor in advance.

If class assignments include group work, each student in the group must contribute his or her fair and proportionate share to the project.

Students may not submit substantially similar work or material for more than one course unless they obtain permission from the instructors of all applicable courses. This applies to courses taken simultaneously or in different terms.

5. Class Cancellation


In the unlikely event that course enrollment does not reach the minimum, the course will be canceled. Students are notified seven days in advance.

6. Commencement


Graduates are honored at the annual commencement ceremony held at the end of each spring term. Clearance of all financial obligations is essential in order to receive a diploma. Diplomas are distributed within six to eight weeks following commencement. The transcript degree conferral date is the date when final requirements are met or the term end date (when earlier).

7. Course Evaluation


Students are expected to evaluate their current courses and quality of instruction at the conclusion of every course. If a student has a concern outside the evaluation process, it is recommended that the student first address the instructor. If unable to resolve the concern, the student should consult with the program dean to discuss both informal and formal processes for dealing with the concern. In a case where the instructor is the dean, the student should consult with the Vice President for Academic and Student Affairs.

8. Grade Definitions and Grading Information


Students may occasionally have the option of choosing a grading system (letter grade, pass/no pass, audit, etc.) and must identify this preference at the time of registration. This decision is irreversible. To protect student identity and confidentiality, grades are not given out over the telephone or faxed, and transcripts are not released if a student’s account balance is not current. For official transcript information, call 651-523-2345 or check www.hamline.edu/transcript.

Grades: The following grades may be assigned:

Grade   Value/Definition
A   4.00
A-   3.70
B+   3.30
B   3.00
B-   2.70
C+   2.30
C   2.00
C-   1.70
D+   1.30
D   1.00
D-   .70
F   0.00
AU   Audit-no credit given-attended class
EX   Registration extended to following term
I   Incomplete
N   No credit
P   Pass-credit awarded
W   Withdrawn

  1. Grade Appeal: Students wishing to appeal a grade should first contact the instructor. If the matter remains unresolved, the student may appeal to the program dean and, if still dissatisfied, to the Vice President for Academic and Student Affairs. In the case where the instructor is the program dean, first appeal will be to the instructor, and the second appeal will be directly to the Vice President for Academic and Student Affairs. The decision of the Vice President for Academic and Student Affairs is final.
  2. Grade Changes: Grade changes may be applied for up to a year after the grade was officially recorded in the Registrar’s office.
  3. Incomplete Grade: With an instructor’s approval, a student may take an incomplete (“I”) in a course. An “I” will be given only in unusual circumstances that are beyond the control of the student. An “I” cannot be granted for failing or uncompleted work (a substantial portion of the work must have already been completed). An instructor must update an “I” to a final grade within four months after the end of the registration term (or by August 31 if the student intends to graduate in the summer). Otherwise, the “I” will convert to an “F” grade. 

    If an “I” has been converted to an “F,” the student may complete the necessary course work, at the instructor’s discretion, within one year in accordance with the grade change policy. The student may not complete course work after that time.

    All instructors enter “I” grades via Piperline before a term’s grading deadline. However, for undergraduate students, the instructor must also file an agreement for an incomplete (completed between the undergraduate student and the instructor) with his/her department chair before the final grade deadline for the term. The form is available at www.hamline.edu/registrar/forms.
  4. Audit Grades: Generally, students may audit master’s level courses on a space-available basis and with the permission of the program office. Students who audit a course will not receive academic credit for the course. The decision to audit is irreversible. Upon completion, a final grade of AU is assigned to the student’s permanent record. Auditors participate in all classroom activities, projects, and assignments but do not receive evaluation for their work. Graduate School of Liberal Studies writing courses, School of Business MBA modules, and EdD courses may not be audited. Contact the program office for audit registration and fee information. Students intending to audit a course must submit a registration form with needed approvals to the Registration and Records office (East Hall 113) no later than the last day to add or drop the course.
  5. Grades for Degree Program and Licensure Students: For masters and doctoral students, only grades of “B” or better, or Pass, are acceptable toward graduation. Exceptions are described below. All grades appear on students’ official transcripts, but only letter grades are calculated into the GPA. Grades for courses transferred into a graduate degree program at Hamline are not calculated into students’ GPAs. Degree program and licensure students may view final grades on Piperline at www.hamline.edu/piperline approximately two weeks after the last day of class. Students without a PIN should come to the Student Administrative Services office (East Hall 113) during office hours with their student ID to obtain one, or call 651-523-3000.
  6. Grades for Graduate School of Liberal Studies Students: Residencies, internships, and capstone projects are graded on a Pass/No Credit basis, while all other classes are assigned a letter grade. Sampler courses may be taken by degree-seeking students for a letter grade or for Pass/No Credit. Sampler classes taken for Pass/No Credit may not be used for degree credit.
  7. Grades for School of Business Students: For MBA students, grades of C or better are acceptable for graduation. All graduate students must maintain a 3.0 GPA in order to graduate. Letter grades are assigned for all courses, including capstones. GPA 8992 Dissertation II and GPA 8993 Dissertation III are graded on a Pass/No Credit basis.
  8. Grades for School of Education Students: Students in the Master of Arts in Education (MAEd) and Master of Arts in ESL programs receive a Pass/No Credit upon completion of the capstone. All education licensure advanced practica are taken Pass/No Credit (except for the Advanced Reading Practicum and Keyboarding Practicum, which are taken for a letter grade). All other education licensure course work that is to be used toward licensure must be taken for a letter grade. Education licensure students must maintain a 3.0 GPA in order to be recommended for any licensure. The practicum seminar and exit interview in Administrative Lincensure are taken for no credit, but a “P” is issued upon completion of the processes.
  9. Repeat Grades/GPA for All Students: See program specific requirements for grades. The original grade will remain on the transcript. The most recent course grade will be used in computing the GPA.

9. Holds


If your Hamline University account is in arrears, a financial hold is placed on your student account. You will be eligible to receive or request an official transcript or a diploma only after an obligation is cleared and the financial hold is removed.

10. Military Leave


An enrolled student who is an active reservist called to active duty in one of the armed military services may receive a future credit in the amount of tuition paid during the term the student withdraws. Tuition paid includes cash payments, student loans, Pell Grants, Minnesota State Grants, SEOG grants and outside scholarships paid on the student’s behalf. Hamline scholarships and grants are not included in determining the future credit.

The Financial Aid office will apply the credit to the student’s account during the term the student re-enrolls. The amount of the future credit will be determined by student accounts and Financial Aid in consultation with the Registrar’s office. A student receiving the credit will be provided with a letter at the time of withdrawal stating the terms of the credit. A copy of the letter will be filed with Financial Aid, Student Accounts, and Registrar’s office for the student’s file. The credit will be valid for no more than three years from the date the student commences the non-voluntary military leave. Students should contact the Registrar’s office with copies of all military orders.

11. Name Changes


Name change requests for current students must be made to Registration & Records (East Hall 113). Hamline alumni may make requests to either their respective alumni or registrar’s office.

  1. Current and Former Students: All current and former students have the opportunity to change their names on institutional records upon the production of evidence showing the student name has been officially changed, accompanied by a written request from the student. A certified copy of a court order, a marriage certificate, or a dissolution decree reflecting the new name in full are examples of the evidence required to support an official name change. Diplomas are issued with the student’s legal name on file at the time of degree completion.
  2. Gender Changes: A certified copy of a court order is required, along with a written request from the student in order to change gender and name on institutional records.
  3. Minor Variations in Names: Minor changes in names can be made without a court order at the discretion of the Registrar (for example, spelling corrections or revisions). In these instances the student must provide documentation such as a current driver’s license with photo, Social Security card, or resident alien card.

12. Registration


The Hamline registration website at www.hamline.edu/registration lists registration instructions, course information, an academic calendar for the term, and registration forms for degree and licensure students. Registration closes the day before the beginning of the course. Courses involving travel or other events may have earlier deadlines.

All Hamline course offerings are available at www.hamline.edu/classschedules and at www.hamline.edu/registrar/classes.

Contact Student Administrative Services at 651-523-3000 (East Hall 113) if you have questions related to registration.

  1. Degree Program and Licensure Students register for master’s and doctoral level classes on Piperline at www.hamline.edu/piperline.
  2. Professional Development for Educators Students register for classes online through Piperline at www.hamline.edu/piperline.
  3. Non-Degree/Non-License Students (such as Sampler and Adult Special students) register by mail, fax, or in person in the Student Administrative Services office (East Hall 113). Publications are available listing courses; however, the most current are always listed on Piperline. Early registration is recommended as classes may fill. However, students may register for classes up until the first day of class as long as the class is still open.
  4. Special Registrations such as independent studies, internships, field experiences, capstone, advanced practicum, personal assessment, and other individual projects require specific registration forms and approvals. The appropriate forms are available online or in the program offices. Prior to submitting a special registration, students should consult their advisor or a faculty member regarding the format of the project. Students approaching their capstone projects should meet with a faculty advisor for guidance well before the registration term begins. Most special registrations require the permission of the project advisor, and sometimes that of the program dean or director. The student is responsible for obtaining all necessary permissions before submitting the registration to Student Administrative Services.
  5. Registration Processing: Registrations for all students are processed on a first-come, first-served basis. Registrations received from students with registration holds will not be processed until the hold (financial or administrative) is released. For degree- and license-seeking students, a $50 late fee is charged for registrations received after the last day to add/drop a course. This fee will also be charged if a registration cannot be processed by that deadline because of a registration hold (administrative or financial).
  6. Maximum Credit Loads: The maximum credit load allowed for all degree programs (except Graduate Education MAT) is eight semester credits per term, unless permission is received from program dean, director, or faculty advisor. The maximum credit load for Graduate Education MAT students is sixteen semester credits per term.
  7. Enrolling after the Class Start: Instructor permission is required to add a course after the class has started. Appropriate forms to add/drop are available in Student Administrative Services (East Hall 113). MAEd learning community students should contact the program coordinator.
  8. Enrolling after the Class Ends: Instructor permission is required to add a course after it has ended. Registration requests received up to one year after a course has ended will be processed; later requests will be denied.
  9. Confirmation of Registration: Students can check their Piperline schedules to confirm registration at www.hamline.edu/piperline. Students may request their Piperline pin by calling Student Administrative Services at 651-523-3000.

13. Release of Student Information (FERPA)


Access to student records, which complies with the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (FERPA), is described below:

  1. Definitions

    Record: A record includes any data or information about you and related individuals, regardless of the media used to create or maintain the record.

    Education Records: Educational records include records maintained by the institution but exclude records maintained by individuals and available only to those individuals or designated substitutes (that is, “personal files”). Your educational records are located and maintained by administrators in one or more of the following offices: Admissions; Alumni Relations; Financial Aid; Registration & Records; Student Accounts, and your academic program office. Note: The Registration & Records office is the only university office authorized to issue official transcripts and certify students’ enrollment status. All requests for such documentation must be directed to that office.

    Public Information: Public information (also called “directory” information) consists of your name, address, e-mail address, phone number, dates of attendance, class standing, full-time or part-time enrollment status, previous institutions attended, major/ minor field of study, degrees and awards. Records of arrests and/or convictions are public records and thus not subject to university policy. Note: If you wish to restrict the release of your directory information, you must do so by notifying the Graduate Schools Registrar (Law Grad 113E).

  2. Release in Emergencies: The confidentiality of all records may be broken in an emergency if deemed necessary by the severity of the emergency, the usefulness of the records, and the extent to which time is critical.
  3. Release to You: Your records are available to you with the following exceptions: confidential letters of recommendation submitted prior to 1975; records of your parents’ financial status; records related to your student employment that are subject to other laws and are administered by the Human Resources office; medical and psychological records (which will be released only to a healthcare professional designated by you) and, if you signed a voluntary waiver of access, letters of recommendation related to admission, candidacy for awards, and candidacy for employment-these records may be used only for the purpose originally intended. You may see any of your available records within 45 days after submitting a written request to the Registration & Records office, either in person or by mail. You will receive an interpretation of the record upon request, at or after the time that access is granted.
  4. Release to Hamline Faculty and Staff: Your records are available to members of the faculty and staff (school officials) who have a legitimate need for them, as determined by the administrator of the office responsible for maintenance of the record.
  5. Release to Others: Except as specified below, your records will be released only upon completion of a consent form or letter you have signed. Any such release will include a notice that further release by the recipient is prohibited by law. A record of the release will be maintained.

    Records about you will be released without your consent to your parents if you are a dependent as defined by the Internal Revenue Service; to federal officers as prescribed by law; as required by state law; to agencies or individuals conducting educational research (provided that the administrator of the records is satisfied concerning the legitimacy of the research effort and the confidentiality to be maintained by the researcher); to agencies responsible for accreditation of the institution or its programs; in response to a lawful subpoena, after making reasonable attempts to provide prior notification and opportunity for objection by you; and to institutional security officers when necessary for a criminal investigation.

  6. Retention of Records: Hamline University reserves the right to maintain only those records it considers useful and to set retention schedules for various categories of those records. However, the administrator responsible for each category of records will ensure that a record being challenged is not destroyed prior to resolution of the dispute.

    Transcripts and other documents submitted from other institutions or agencies are the property of Hamline University and will not be reissued to applicants, students, alumni, or any other party.

14. Graduate and Professional Schools Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy


Financial aid eligibility is based on satisfactory academic progress (SAP) standards that Hamline University of Financial Aid is required by the U. S. Department of Education to establish, publish, and apply. The Financial Aid Office measures academic performance and enforces SAP standards to ensure that financial aid recipients progress toward completion of their degree or certificate program. Students who fail to meet these standards become ineligible to receive financial aid until compliant with all of the requirements detailed in this policy.

To demonstrate Satisfactory Academic Progress, a student’s academic performance must meet two main SAP components. The first is a qualitative component, represented by grade point average (GPA). The second is a quantitative component measured by credit completion the ratio between attempted and completed credits) and the maximum timeframe to complete the degree or certificate program.

Section 1. Standards of Satisfactory Academic Progress

  1. Grade Point Average – All graduate and professional students must maintain a cumulative GPA that is equivalent to the graduation standards published by their program.
  2. Credit Completion – Students must complete 67% of all credits attempted. A completed credit has a grade of A, B, C, D, HP, or P. Withdrawals, incompletes, and repeated courses are included in attempted credits.
  3. Maximum Time Frame – All students are expected to finish their degree or certificate within an acceptable period of time. Financial aid recipients may continue to receive federal aid through their cumulative attempted credit that equals 150% of the required number of credits needed to complete their program, including transfer credits from another college that apply to the Hamline program. Students who require developmental coursework may appeal to have the 150% limit extended.

Section 2. Definitions/Conditions

  1. Credit – A credit is the unit by which academic work is measured.
  2. Attempted credit – An attempted credit includes all credits for which you are registered at the beginning of each term.
  3. Cumulative credits – Cumulative credits represent the total number of credits evaluated (attempted and earned) for all periods of enrollment at the University, including summer and J-terms or terms for which the student did not receive aid.
  4. Earned credits – Earned credits are those that are successfully completed with a grade of A, B, C, D, HP, and P and all plus and minus variations. Grades of I, W, N, F, and EX, or drops are not counted as earned credits. Audit credits are not counted as attempted or earned credits.
  5. Grade Point Average (GPA) – The GPA is calculated using a grade point value outlined in the catalog for grades A, B, C, D, and F and all plus or minus variations. Although a grade of P or HP will count as credit earned, it carries no grade point value.
  6. Incompletes – An “I” or “EX” are included in the cumulative credits attempted. These credits cannot be used as earned credits until a passing grade is assigned.
  7. Repeat Credits – Repeats may be allowed in order to improve a grade or meet program requirements. They are included in credit completion and maximum time frame standards. The most recent grade will become the grade calculated for GPA.
  8. Transfer Credits – Grades associated with transfer credits are not included in the cumulative GPA calculation. Transfer credits accepted by Hamline University that are applicable to the current degree program apply toward the maximum time frame calculation for that program.
  9. Change of Degree, and Dual Degree – Many students receive multiple awards from Hamline University. Only attempted credits eligible for application toward the student’s current degree program will count toward the maximum time frame of that degree. Attempted and earned credits under all degrees will be included in the calculation of GPA and credit completion. Students who change degree or seek a dual degree may appeal for an extension of the maximum time frame provision of this policy. Appeals will be evaluated on an individual, case-by-case basis.
  10. Consortium/Joint Program Credits – Credits accepted by the University are included with attempted and earned credit totals.

Section 3. Implementation

Following the second term of enrollment, academic progress for every financial aid applicant will be monitored after each term or at the mid-point of the program, whichever is less. All of a student’s academic coursework is considered in the review process, whether the student received aid that term or not. The assessment will be based on the student’s entire academic record, including all transfer credit hours accepted. Because grades may not be available before the next scheduled term begins, it is possible that financial aid may be disbursed before the review is conducted. In the event that a student is found to be ineligible for the financial aid that has been disbursed due to failure to meet one of the standards, the aid that was disbursed will be canceled and returned to the appropriate program(s). If the student successfully appeals and is granted a probationary term, the aid can be reinstated for that term.

  1. Probation If the student does not meet either the GPA or Credit Completion standard, the student will be placed on Financial Aid Probation for the next registered term. While on probation, students are eligible to receive financial aid. Students on probation are encouraged to use the many academic support services on campus to improve their academic standing.

    To be removed from financial aid probation, the student must meet the cumulative their programs minimum GPA requirement and 67% credit completion standards. If a student does not achieve the minimum cumulative standards, s/he may remain on financial aid probation and eligible for financial aid if s/he earns the minimum GPA and completes 100% of the attempted credits during the probationary term. A student who has reached the maximum time frame prior to completing the program will no longer eligible for financial aid. There is no probation for the maximum time frame requirement.
  2. Financial aid ineligibility – Students who do not meet the minimum cumulative GPA and/or credit completion ratio or do not meet the terms of financial aid probation will be no longer eligible for federal, state or institutional aid. Students may be eligible for private loan programs and outside assistance that does not require SAP.

    Provided the student’s academic status allows for registration, s/he may attend the University at his or her own expense until the minimum cumulative GPA and credit completion requirement has been met.

    Hamline University may immediately deem a student ineligible for financial aid in the event of extraordinary circumstances, such as a student who registers for but does not earn any credits for two consecutive terms, or a student who demonstrates an attendance pattern that abuses the receipt of financial aid.

    Students who failed to meet these standards due to unusual circumstances may appeal the financial aid SAP suspension status.
  3. Academic suspension – Students who have been suspended by the University are no longer eligible for financial aid. If a student is readmitted, s/he must complete the SAP appeal process. Eligibility for financial aid will be determined based on financial aid SAP standards through a review of the academic record.

Section 4. Right to Appeal

A student who is unable to achieve satisfactory academic progress and is suspended from enrollment and/or financial aid has the right to appeal based on unusual or extenuating circumstances, such as medical or personal problems. The student may appeal the financial aid suspension status at any time during the year if:

  • The record shows that the student has now earned the required cumulative minimum GPA and credit completion ratio to meet SAP standards.
  • The student is readmitted after suspension by the University.
  • Unusual circumstances interfered with the student’s ability to meet SAP standards, including but not limited to:
    • Illness, accident, or injury experienced by the student or a significant person in the student’s life.
    • Death of a family member or significant person in the student’s life.
    • Divorce experienced by the student or parent.
    • Reinstatement after an academic dismissal or extended break in the student’s enrollment.
    • Personal problems or issues with spouse, family, roommate, or other significant person.
    • Exceeding time frame while in a second undergraduate or dual degree program or as a result of changing major.

To appeal, students must submit to the Financial Aid Office the following:

  • A statement from the student explaining the nature of the extenuating circumstances that contributed to the SAP deficiency.
  • An explanation of how the barriers to academic success have been removed.
  • Third party documentation to support the circumstances.


Graduate School of Liberal Studies            
Master of Fine Arts   MFA   48 credit hours w/in 7 years   3.0
Master of Fine Arts in Writing for Children and Young Adults   MFA   52 credit hours w/in 5 years   3.0
Master of Liberal Studies   MALS   38-40 credit hours (depending on choice of final project) w/in 7 years   2.8
School of Business
Doctorate in Public Administration   DPA   52 credit hours w/in 10 years   3.5
Master of Business Administration   MBA   48 credit hours w/in 7 years   3.0
Master in Nonprofit Management   MNM   48 credit hours w/in 7 years   3.0
Master in Public Administration   MPA   48 credit hours w/in 7 years   3.0
School of Education            
Administrative Licensure       14 credit hours   3.0
Doctorate in Education   EdD   68 credit hours w/in 7 years   3.0
Master of Arts in Education   MAEd   34 credit hours w/in 7 years   3.0
Master of Arts in Education:
Natural Science and Environmental Education
  MAEd:NSEE   35 credit hours w/in 7 years   2.5
Master of Arts in English as a Second Language   MAESL   42 credit hours   3.25
Master of Arts in Teaching   MAT        
  Elementary       63-65 credit hours w/in 7 years   3.0
  Secondary       49 credit hours w/in 7 years   3.0
  K-12       51 credit hours w/in 7 years   3.0
  English Second Language       26-31 credit hours   3.0


15. Student Status (Full-Time/Part-Time Status)


For Hamline graduate degree and licensure students, full-time status is defined as 8 semester credits per term and half-time status is 4 semester credits per term. For graduate education continuing studies students, full-time status is defined as 12 semester credits per term and half-time status is 6 semester credits per term.

16. Technology Use


Hamline University recognizes the growing importance of technology as a means to support its missions of education, research and service, and therefore provides faculty, students and staff with access to technology, which includes a high-speed local area network, access to shared network software and storage space, public computing facilities, support services, on-line Library databases and access to the Internet. In return users of Hamline’s technology must be committed to complying with university policies and applicable law on appropriate use of these systems. All users of Hamline’s technology are expected to observe the highest standards of responsibility and ethics. In general this means that an individual’s use of technology should not infringe on the rights of other users, utilize an unfair share of system resources, or interfere with the normal operation of the computer system.

Because we are an academic community, the faculty, students and staff of Hamline University honor intellectual property, respect the privacy of data, and respect the rights of others. As a carrier of information, Hamline University does not subject users’ files to prior review. However, the University does make its best effort to educate the community in responsible use and respond when violations are pointed out.

Each information technology resource-those existing on campus as well as external ones to which we are connected-has an owner. Attempts, even unsuccessful ones, to use or access any resource without the permission of the owner are a violation of this policy. All assessors must respect conditions of access and use stipulated by the owner. Although individuals are not the owners of accounts assigned to them (Hamline University is the owner), they are the owners of the files they create, and have rights to privacy and responsibilities to control access by others. You must respect others’ rights when you communicate with them over networks. Anything less than adherence to the letter and spirit of copyright laws and regulations is unethical and possibly illegal. Users must obtain permission of the creator or publisher to copy software written by others. Users must abide by license agreements controlling copying and use of software and data files of all kinds (text, audio, graphics, video, etc.)

University resources are provided solely for the education and research mission of Hamline University and may not be used for commercial or for-profit purposes. Users who express opinions and positions through the university’s IT resources must make clear that these opinions and positions are those of the individual who posts them, not of the university. Because Hamline University is the owner of all IT resources granted to users, the university reserves the right to deny use to those who have used them in an irresponsible manner. Offenders may also be subject to disciplinary action through existing structures for faculty, students and staff, as described in relevant handbooks.

People who use both on-campus and external network media (including any communication performed on the network for any purpose) must do so responsibly and in a manner that constitutes respectful behavior as defined in the faculty, staff, and student handbooks. It is unethical not to adhere to this type of behavior, even when communicating with people outside the Hamline community. For example, no form of harassment, as defined in the student, faculty and staff handbooks, will be tolerated within any media. In addition, all communications must include the sender’s complete network address, unless the service explicitly invites anonymous communication. If someone requests you stop communicating electronically with him/her, you are required to do so immediately.

Questions concerning this policy should be directed to the Chief Information Officer, 651-523-2630.

Appropriate Use of Technology

  1. Use of Computers is a Privilege
    Hamline University maintains a variety of computing and network resources for use by students, faculty, staff, and guests in support of the university’s mission of education, research, and service. Access to these resources is a privilege, and the university can revoke that privilege if university policies are not followed.
  2. Only Appropriate Uses Are Permitted
    Hamline’s technology may be used by students, faculty, staff, and guests for appropriate uses only, as defined in the policies.
    1. Appropriate uses of Hamline’s computer systems include primary uses and secondary uses. Technology can be used for the following primary uses:
      • Learning;
      • Research;
      • Teaching;
      • Internal and external communication/collaboration;
      • University administrative functions;
      • Authorized extra-curricular activities;
      • Access to the Internet for appropriate uses defined in this policy;
      • Other uses supported in the current version of the Hamline University student/faculty/staff handbooks, or in other university policies;
      • Other uses that support the professional activities of the faculty and staff.
    2. Hamline’s technology may also be used for secondary uses, as long as such uses do not interfere with staff and faculty work duties. At times, however, it may be necessary to restrict secondary uses if they interfere with primary uses. Secondary uses include:
      • Personal communication;
      • Personal projects;
      • Recreational activities.
  3. Prohibited Uses
    Prohibited uses are those uses, which interfere with or are contrary to appropriate uses of the computer systems or network, furtherance of the university’s mission, or compliance with the university’s policies or applicable law. Prohibited uses of the university’s technology include:
    1. Interference with the operation of any university computer systems or network;
    2. Interference with the security of any university computer systems or network;
    3. Unauthorized attempts to alter files or systems;
    4. Making unauthorized changes to the configuration or wiring of equipment;
    5. Intentionally damaging software or hardware;
    6. Intentionally disrupting the university’s network, website, or email systems;
    7. Removing software or hardware from Hamline’s computer systems without authorization;
    8. Use of Hamline computer systems for personal or private commercial gain without appropriate authorization from a Hamline University cabinet member;
    9. Use of university technology to access or change non-public information about any individual, or to access, without authorization, any email, voice mail, or other communications intended for another individual.
  4. Internet Activities
    Use of the Internet must be in compliance with all applicable laws and university policies. The following guidelines should be observed:

    Software may be downloaded from the Internet only when the owner of the software has granted permission for doing so.

    Users should scan all downloaded software for viruses. Copyrighted materials (including text, graphics, video and audio) downloaded from the Internet, should only be used with the permission of the copyright holder, or to the extent allowed by fair use.

    All personal and organizational web pages published by users of the Hamline computer system should clearly indicate who has created them. No one may create a presence on the Internet, such as a home page, which purports to be an official publication of Hamline University, without the written approval of the Hamline University Vice President for University Relations. See the Hamline University Web Policy for more information.

    Confidential information from personnel files or student records cannot be placed on or transmitted through the Internet, unless it is appropriately encrypted or secured.

Compliance with Applicable Law

  1. Various Laws Apply to Use of Technology
    The privilege of using Hamline’s technology is conditioned upon the technology user complying with all applicable law. Applicable law includes the law relating to defamation, pornography, trade secrets, theft, copyright, criminal actions, and sexual harassment.
  2. Compliance with Copyright Laws for Software
    Nearly all computer software is protected by the copyright laws. The exceptions to this rule are so few that users of Hamline’s technology should assume that all software on Hamline’s computer system, on third party systems, or available through the Internet is protected by copyright, unless there is clear information to the contrary. Simply stated, the copyright laws allow a user of software to use the software, load it onto the hard drive of a computer, and retain the original disk as an archive copy. The copyright laws do not allow a user to modify the software, make more copies of it, store copies on both a home and a university computer, or distribute the software through the Internet, unless the license agreement permits those activities. Unless a user of Hamline’s computer systems knows that any of those activities is permitted by the applicable license agreement, users of Hamline’s computer systems shall not copy any software, modify any software, load copies of it onto a network or on multiple hard drives, or distribute the software in any way, including through the Internet.
  3. Licensing of Computer Software
    All users of Hamline’s technology must cooperate with Hamline in ensuring that the university properly obtains all software included for use within Hamline’s technology. Users should refer to Hamline University policies on Information Technology Software Purchases. Obtaining copies of software without appropriate licenses or using software in a manner beyond the rights granted in any license are violations of this and other university policies, and can subject the individuals involved to discipline.
  4. Use of Unlicensed Software
    All software installed on the university’s computer systems must be properly licensed, either by the university, or by the individual user. The university will monitor its computer systems to ensure that unlicensed software is not installed on its computers. Individuals who install software on their office computers must keep records to show that this software is properly licensed, and they must inform the network manager that the software has been installed.
  5. Compliance with Copyright Laws for Text, Audio and Video
    Nearly all written, audio, and pictorial (including graphics and video) material is protected by the copyright laws, regardless of whether it is in a hard copy, an electronic copy, or on the Internet. The exceptions to this rule are so few that users of Hamline’s technology should assume that all such materials in hard copy or available in electronic form or through the Internet are protected by copyright, unless there is clear information to the contrary. Simply stated, the copyright laws allow a user to read, listen to, or view the copyrighted material. The copyright laws do not allow a user to modify a copyrighted work, make copies of it (beyond those allowed by fair use), distribute copies of a work through the Internet, or broadcast a copy of a work (such as in the case of video or audio) on any channel or network. As with materials from a library or other sources, the user is responsible for using materials obtained off the Internet in compliance with the copyright laws and the Hamline University Information Technology Responsible Use Policy for Copying.

Hamline University Information Technology Responsible Use Policy for Copying

Because we are an academic community, the faculty, students and staff of Hamline University honor intellectual property, respect the privacy of data and recognize the rights of others. In turn, each individual has a responsibility to use copying and reproduction technologies in a responsible manner, consistent with the overall Technology Use Policy. Anything less than adherence to the letter and spirit of copyright laws and regulations is irresponsible, unethical, and possibly illegal.

Respect for intellectual labor and creativity is vital to academic discourse and enterprise. This principle applies to works of all authors and publishers in the media. It encompasses respect for the right of acknowledgement, the right to privacy and right to determine the form, manner, and terms of publication and distribution.

Because printed, recorded, and digitized information is easily reproduced, respect for the work and personal expression of others is critical. All assessors must respect conditions of access and use stipulated by the owner of a given resource. Violations of authorial integrity including plagiarism, invasion of privacy, unauthorized access and copyright violations may be grounds for sanctions against members of the Hamline community. The University does not exercise prior review of copied materials. However, the University does make its best effort to educate the community in responsible use and respond when violations are pointed out.

Protected Works Include Eight Categories:

  • Literary works
  • Musical works, including any accompanying words
  • Dramatic works, including any accompanying music
  • Pictorial, graphic and sculptural works
  • Motion pictures and other audiovisual works
  • Sound recordings
  • Architectural works, including drawings, blueprints and the final structure

All Hamline faculty, students, and staff are held accountable to the Hamline University Information Technology Responsible Use Policy for Copying.

Individuals, not Hamline University, will be held accountable for liability for willful infringement of copyright laws.

Security of Computer Systems

  1. Protection Against Unauthorized Access
    Each individual desiring access to Hamline’s computer systems must comply with the procedures administered by Hamline’s Information Systems department for obtaining a password and systems access. Each individual is responsible for choosing and protecting an appropriate password for that person’s access to the university computer systems. Each individual is responsible for all actions taken and uses of the computer systems made under that individual’s password. Faculty, staff, students, and guests shall not share passwords, post them on computer terminals, or otherwise communicate a password to anyone, other than their supervisors at Hamline and Hamline technical systems personnel.
  2. Unauthorized Internet Access
    Each individual is responsible for proper and lawful use of the Internet when it is accessed using Hamline technology. The rules for use of the Internet are basically the same as for use of Hamline’s computer systems and use of paper documents. Prohibited uses of the Internet include all the prohibited uses of the university’s computer systems defined in this policy, as well as any other uses of the Internet which would be a violation of applicable law. For example, Hamline’s technology cannot be used to access the Internet for the sending of harassing material, pornography, chain letters, or defamatory matter.
  3. Privacy of Files
    Respecting the privacy of others’ work and communications is an important value in an academic community that promotes the free exchange of ideas and civil discourse. Computer files and email messages stored on the Hamline computer system are considered private to the extent allowed by law and university policy. As indicated in Section II C of this policy, attempts to access stored files or communications of another user, without authorization, are prohibited. However, it is important for users of Hamline technology to realize that the privacy of computer files, email, and voicemail cannot be guaranteed and should not be assumed. Since Hamline University owns and maintains the computer and communication technology used by its students, faculty, and staff, it has the responsibility to service and repair these systems and to ensure that all university policies and applicable laws are observed. Hamline technology users should be aware that: Technology services staff has access to all computer files and email stored on the Hamline network servers. In the course of their normal duties they may see the content of these files. In order to resolve some types of problems with the computer system it may be necessary to examine the content of a file. There are cases in which Hamline University has the obligation to reveal the content of files stored on its computer systems. Hamline will examine or reveal the contents of user files if it is required by law or by court order, or in cases where there is reason to suspect serious violations of federal or state regulations, or of university policies. In the case of an internal investigation, access to a user’s files must be authorized in writing by two university vice presidents.
  4. No Expectation of Security on Internet
    Information and messages sent over the Internet can be intercepted in various ways. Users of Hamline technology to access the Internet cannot assume that information they send over the Internet will be or remain confidential and inaccessible to anyone other than the intended recipient.

Related Policies

All Hamline University policies, including Freedom of Expression, Discrimination & Harassment, Academic Integrity, University Authority and Civil Penalties, Posting Policy, and the Judicial Code apply to use of any university technology. These policies can be used as guidelines to determine whether an individual is using the university’s computer systems in an appropriate or inappropriate manner.

Enforcement of Policies

  1. Notification of Violations
    Hamline encourages individuals to report any suspected violations of Hamline policy regarding Hamline’s technology and the proper uses of it to the Director of Information Systems or an appropriate Hamline cabinet member. The university shall be responsible for investigating any potential violations, and encourages individuals to cooperate in the investigations. Hamline considers violations of this policy to warrant serious review and action.
  2. Discipline for Policy Violations
    Use of Hamline University’s technology in violation of this policy may result in disciplinary action. Alleged violations of this policy will receive the same due process as any other alleged violation of university policy.

Email Guidelines

Email provides essential communication regarding teaching/learning/community and general operations of the university. All degree-seeking students, all full-time faculty, and all staff are required to use the official Hamline email account that has been provided for Hamline-related correspondence. All university correspondence, including assignments, course materials, financial aid information, employment and benefits information, safety and security alerts, news and events, and other important information, will only be sent to official Hamline addresses, and many notices will only be sent via email. Individuals are responsible for any messages sent to their official Hamline email accounts.

Network Connection Policy

Hamline University is committed to the use of technology to further the education of its students. As part of this commitment, Hamline University has pre-wired every residence hall room with network connection, providing every residence hall room with the ability to connect to Hamline’s network and via this network, to the Internet/ World Wide Web. Hamline University has also wired a number of classrooms on campus and several Law School Library carrels so that a student may connect from a laptop to Hamline’s network via one of these classrooms or carrels. The following policy outlines the connection process, guidelines for network use, process for resolving network connection problems and hardware and operation system standards.

As a student user, you are expected to read and follow the policy as outlined in the software section of this website.

Web Policy

The Hamline University website provides online access to university and external information sources that support teaching, learning, marketing, and administration of the university.

Information on the website is provided by members of the community, including faculty, staff, and students, to enhance communication and informed decision-making by facilitating access to current information. The Hamline University Web Policy guides the development and publishing of that information.


Users of Hamline’s technology are encouraged to ask questions and seek information on the topics covered in this policy, in order to be better able to comply with this policy. Questions about the appropriate use of computer and technology resources should be directed to the Chief Information Officer (651-523-2630). Questions regarding disciplinary actions and procedures should be directed to the appropriate office: for students, the dean of students; for staff, the director of human resources; and for faculty, the dean of the appropriate academic unit.

17. Time Limits

  1. Program Completion for Degree Program Students: Master’s degree programs are to be completed within seven years. In extenuating circumstances, the student may make a written request to the program chair/dean for an extension of the seven-year limit. The letter should outline the reasons for the request and a time line for completing degree requirements.
  2. Program Completion for Non-Degree Students: Licensure program completion has no time limits; however, students should note that Hamline University retains the right to modify learning contracts to reflect program changes. If changes occur, students will be given one-year advance notice of the change.
  3. Final Paper/Project: See chart below.
Proseminar   Graduate School of Liberal Studies (MALS)   One Semester.
Thesis I and II
Synthesis I and II
  Graduate School of Liberal Studies (MFA)   Each thesis/synthesis registration must be completed in two semesters. If the student is unable to do so, he/she must reregister and pay for the course again.
Master’s Thesis   School of Business   2 Terms
Capstone   School of Business   1 Term
Dissertation I-III   School of Business   Dissertations should be completed within one-and-a-half to two years.
Capstone   School of Education   Capstones must be completed in two years from the term of registration. If it is not completed in this time frame, the student must reregister for the capstone course.
Dissertation I-IV   School of Education   Dissertations must be completed within the seven-year program time limit. Extensions may be granted upon request to the department chair.

18. Transcripts


Hamline University maintains a voice recording, 651-523-2345, listing instructions for ordering a transcript. Transcripts of all Hamline University  coursework (other than School of Law) can be obtained by submitting on online request in Piperline (www.hamline.edu/piperline) or by sending a signed request (see www.hamline.edu/ transcript).

For the protection of students and former students, transcripts will not be faxed and all transcript requests must be personally signed. No transcript will be released until all financial obligations to Hamline have been met.

19. Transfer Credit/Credit Equivalencies

  1. Transfer of Credit: The chart at http://www.hamline.edu/shared/policies/all_grad_student/grad_school_transfer_credits.html outlines various programs and transfer credit policies. Grade points are not transferable to Hamline. In other words, approved transfer credit will not affect the Hamline GPA. All transfer credit must be earned at regionally accredited instututions. Please contact the program office with specific questions.

    Students may apply for credit transfer with the assistance of their advisor. Credit may be transferred onto a student’s graduate degree transcript from Hamline’s Graduate Continuing Studies program and from other accredited institutions subject to certain limitations.

    The Application for Transfer Credit form is available from each program office. Official sealed transcripts, mailed directly from the other institution to the program office, are required to support transfer credit application. The program office, in conjunction with the registrar determines the eligibility of transfer-of-credit requests, which may be submitted once a student is advanced to candidacy.

    Transcripts and other documents submitted from other institutions or agencies are the property of Hamline University and will not be reissued to applicants, students, alumni, or any other party.

  2. Licensure Program Equivalencies: Students pursuing licensure may be granted equivalence for courses taken at other institutions. Courses are not transferred onto the student’s Hamline transcript. The equivalence is noted on the student’s learning contract, an outline of a student’s requirements for completing the licensure program.

20. Tuition and Fees

  1. Tuition: The Financial Policies and Procedures brochure with current tuition and fee information is distributed to new degree seeking students. The brochure is updated annually and is available from the Student Administrative Services office or online at www.hamline.edu/studentaccounts.
  2. Dual Degree Tuition: Graduate students seeking two degrees will be billed the tuition rate for their primary curricula until that degree is complete. Primary curricula will be determined by the degree program started first.
  3. Fees:
    1. Program Fees: New students who are fully admitted to any graduate degree program are charged a one-time $175 program fee to be paid with the first term’s tuition. The fee covers binding of the capstone and graduation expenses.
    2. Textbooks and Course Materials: The cost of textbooks and course materials is handled in a variety of ways. Some courses may require additional materials such as course packets and CDs. Minneapolis Center courses may provide books for the students. These charges may be added to the student’s account. Please contact the program for more specific information. When course materials are required, the corresponding cost covers the photocopying as well as the cost of procuring copyright permission from the publisher(s).
    3. Other Fees: Occasionally, a fee to cover special materials, supplies, or food will be added to the cost of the course.

21. Withdrawal/Add/Drop

  1. From Courses: Refer to the current academic calendar at www.hamline.edu/academic calendar for adding/dropping/ withdrawal deadlines or call Student Administrative Services at 651-523-3000 if you have questions. If a student drops or withdraws from a class, the effective day of the drop is the day the completed form is returned to the Student Administrative Services office (East Hall 113), not when the student stopped attending class. The amount of tuition owed is calculated from the effective day of the drop. A student who stops attending a course without dropping it will continue to be billed for tuition charges.

    (Note: MFA in Writing for Children & Young Adults students follow the above for non-residency terms. During residency terms, students may withdraw up to 10 days prior to the start of the residency and owe no tuition. If withdrawing fewer than 10 days before the start of the residency, 100% of the tuition will be owed.)

  2. From Programs: Any student who wishes to withdraw from a program must notify the program office in writing.