Javascript is currently not supported, or is disabled by this browser. Please enable Javascript for full functionality.

    Jul 22, 2024  
2018-2019 Undergraduate Bulletin 
2018-2019 Undergraduate Bulletin [Archived Bulletin]

Admission to Hamline University

Hamline University seeks to admit students who demonstrate a working knowledge of the major academic disciplines; have developed the writing, speaking, reasoning, and study skills to be successful in the university’s academic programs; and demonstrate the motivation and maturity to meet the academic and social challenges of a selective, residential, liberal arts college.

In the evaluation process the admission committee considers secondary school course selection and performance in academic subjects as the most important indicators of ability. The minimum recommended pattern of college preparatory subjects includes:

  1. Four years of English, including one year of college preparatory writing;
  2. Three years of mathematics, including two years of algebra and one year of geometry or the equivalent;
  3. Three years of science with laboratory experience;
  4. Three years of social science;
  5. Two years of a foreign language.

A secondary school diploma or its equivalent is required for admission except as noted below. Students who have not completed the recommended courses but whose scholastic record and aptitude indicate the possession of the characteristics described above are invited to submit their credentials for consideration.

The admission committee also considers an applicant’s rank in class, test score results, recommendations, and co-curricular involvement as indicators of preparation for academic and social environments. Evidence of leadership qualities in school and in the community at large is considered as an especially positive indicator.

While admission interviews are not required of all applicants, they are strongly encouraged. In addition to the requested application materials, some applicants may be asked to provide the results of additional coursework, and/or complete an admission interview.

Students who are not offered admission may appeal the committee’s decision by filing a letter of appeal with the director of undergraduate admission. Appeals will be considered only if new information in favor of admission can be provided.

Admission Procedure for First-Year Students

The university offers three admission plans for first-year students: early decision, early action and regular decision. Students applying under the early decision plan should be sure that all application materials are on file at the Office of Undergraduate Admission by November 1. Hamline’s early decision program is binding: if you are admitted you agree to attend Hamline*. Students applying under the early action plan should be sure that all application materials are on file at the Office of Undergraduate Admission by December 1. Hamline’s early action program is non-binding; you may apply to other colleges. Students applying under the regular decision plan should be sure that all application materials are on file at the Office of Undergraduate Admission by January 15. Hamline’s regular decision program is non-binding; you may apply to other colleges. Students applying after January 15 will be considered under the rolling admission plan. Completed applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.

*Early Decision students can only cancel their acceptance if the university’s overall costs, minus financial aid, would cause undue hardship.

Students applying for first-year admission to the university must submit the following credentials:

  1. An application form completed by the applicant. Hamline accepts the Common Application. Students may apply online at
  2. An official secondary school transcript. Students may submit transcripts from ninth through eleventh grades and a list of senior year courses with the understanding that full admission is granted only after the receipt and approval by the admission committee of the final year’s record. In many cases, grades earned during the first semester of the senior year will be requested before a decision is made. Official transcripts must be sent directly to the Office of Undergraduate Admission by the secondary school. First-year student applicants who have earned college credit before graduating from secondary school must list the colleges they have attended on the application and contact those colleges and request that official college transcripts be sent to Hamline University (see the Transfer of Credit  section of this Bulletin).
  3. The results of the ACT or the SAT. It is recommended that the ACT or SAT be taken late in the junior year or early in the senior year. When registering for the tests, students should request that copies of the score results be sent to Hamline University. The ACT institution code for Hamline is 2114, the SAT code is 6265. Hamline does not accept new test scores from admitted students, after March 31st of their senior year of high school.
  4. Applicants should submit at least one teacher or counselor recommendation.
  5. Other information as requested by the admission committee during consideration of an individual applicant. Such information might include recommendations, SAT or ACT writing exams, the results of additional coursework, and/or a formal admission interview. Hamline University is a member of the National Association for College Admission Counseling and adheres to the Statement of Principles of Good Practice.


Admission Procedures for Transfer Students

Transfer students are offered admission plans for both fall and spring terms. The early action deadlines for transfer student admission are March 15 for fall term and November 15 for spring term. Hamline’s early action program is non-binding; you may apply to other colleges. The regular decision deadlines for transfer student admission are August 1 for fall term and January 10 for the spring term. Applications received after these dates will be reviewed based on space availability.

Community College Transfer Students

The university welcomes students from community and junior colleges to transfer to Hamline for their final years of undergraduate work. In most cases, students who transfer to the university after having completed an associate degree or two years of comparable work will have acquired sufficient scope in their program to satisfy a large portion of the general education goals of the Hamline curriculum. A maximum of 96 quarter hours or 64 semester hours of work from two-year colleges will be accepted as transfer credit. Hamline offers a two-year assurance of graduation with a Bachelor of Arts degree to students who complete an Associate of Arts degree and meet the eligibility requirements.

Community college students who are planning to transfer to Hamline are encouraged to consult with the Office of Undergraduate Admission in order to correlate their coursework with Hamline’s curriculum guidelines.

To be considered for admission to Hamline, the applicant must have graduated from or be eligible to return to the institution from which he or she wishes to transfer. Students who have earned college credit after secondary school graduation apply as transfer students.

Students applying for transfer admission to the university must file the following credentials:

  1. An application form completed by the applicant. Students may apply online at
  2. Official copies of all previously attended college transcripts, even if no grade and/or degree was given. Transcripts must be sent directly from the previous college(s) to the Office of Undergraduate Admission.
  3. A Dean of Students form. This form verifies enrollment at your current or most recent institution and must be sent directly from that institution.
  4. Official secondary school transcripts and test scores if the applicant has completed fewer than 24 semester hours or 36 quarter hours at the time of application or has graduated from high school within the past five years.

Four-Year College Transfer Students

Students planning to transfer to Hamline University from accredited institutions of collegiate rank should ordinarily transfer early enough in their college career to permit at least two full years of study at Hamline. Students who have completed more than two years of study should schedule an admission interview with a member of the admission staff.

To be considered for transfer admission, students transferring from four-year colleges must provide the same information as described under Community College Transfers. Official transcripts must be provided from all post-secondary institutions attended.


Online Bachelor’s Degree Completion Student Admission

Applications for the online degree completion program are processed on a rolling basis. The priority application deadlines are August 6 for fall term, December 17 for spring term, and April 15 for summer term. Applications submitted after deadlines will be considered if space and time permits.

To be considered for admission to Hamline’s undergraduate online degree completion program, you must demonstrate:

  1. You have a GPA of 2.0 or higher
  2. Two or more years of full-time equivalent professional work experience
  3. You have earned at least 40 transferable semester credits, which must include:
    • a college-level composition course
    • a college-level mathematics course
    • a college-level natural science course with lab

Students applying for the Bachelor of Business Administration must also demonstrate transferable courses in:

  • microeconomics 
  • macroeconomics 

Students applying for the Bachelor of Arts in Psychology must demonstrate a transferable course in:

  • general psychology

Students applying for admission to the online degree completion program must file the following credentials:

  1. An online application (no fee for US residents), which includes:
    • a résumé or statement detailing your work experience
    • a short statement about why you are interested in Hamline
    • an opportunity to upload unofficial transcripts so your eligibility for admission can be determined more quickly
  2. Official transcripts from each college you have attended.


International Student Admission

Applicants must complete a college preparatory program before enrolling. All applicants for admission must demonstrate their ability to be successful in college courses where English is the language of instruction. Students whose first language is English should file the results of one of the tests described under Admission Procedure for First-Year Students (i.e. SAT or ACT).

Students whose first language is not English can also take the SAT or ACT or demonstrate a proficiency in English by scoring a minimum of 550 on the written TOEFL examination, 79-80 Internet-based TOEFL, IELTS score of 6.5, or through the completion of an approved English as a Second Language program (please contact admissions for more information). Students who will need additional training in English before beginning their college work are encouraged to attend an English as a Second Language program.

Hamline University supports international student enrollment by providing international programming and an advisor on campus. The advisor is available to assist international students in adjusting to the university’s academic programs, in immigration matters, and in taking fullest advantage of the academic and social opportunities the university provides.


Accepting an Offer of Admission

Admitted first-year students and transfer students accept the offer of admission by submitting a nonrefundable $400 enrollment deposit. This deposit may be paid after notification of admission. Deposits can be made online at or via Piperline, Hamline’s secure website for student services. For all new first-year students, Hamline honors NACAC’s National Decision Day of May 1.

All matriculating first-year students must submit final transcripts from their secondary school. The college reserves the right to withdraw admission/enrollment for students who fail to perform adequately in their final term(s) of high school after accepting an offer of admission.


New Student Housing

On-campus residence is not required but is very strongly recommended for new students. Eighty-seven percent of first-year students choose to live on campus.

No additional deposit is collected for undergraduate students who apply to live on campus. See your individual housing contract for additional housing information.


Early Admission

Students who have not completed a secondary school diploma or who have graduated from non-accredited high schools may be admitted as degree seeking students upon application review and provided they are recommended for such admission by their secondary school. Students must demonstrate through their coursework, test results, personal statement, and an admission interview that they are capable of satisfactory work at a selective liberal arts college.

Students who have not completed secondary school may also be considered for admission as special students under the Minnesota Post-Secondary Enrollment Options (PSEO) Program. These options are designed to provide talented high school seniors and juniors the opportunity to broaden their educational backgrounds through college-level classes. Admission is very selective and enrollment is limited.

Additional information about the Post-Secondary Enrollment Options Program is available from the Office of Undergraduate Admission.


Non-degree Seeking and Visiting Students

Students who are not degree candidates may enroll in Hamline courses provided they satisfy the requirements of the instructors concerned and are registered properly. Students planning to enroll as non-degree, visiting students should contact the Office of Registration and Records for information and forms.


Postbaccalaureate Students

Students who have already completed a college degree and would like to enroll to complete a teacher licensure program, or a certificate program in forensic science, must contact the Office of Graduate Admission. The admission staff will provide program information and application forms.


Readmission of Students

Former students who wish to return to Hamline after any interruption of registration must apply for readmission unless they have been on an approved leave of absence. Students wanting to be readmitted to Hamline should contact the Office of Registration and Records for information and application forms. If a student has taken courses at another college since leaving Hamline, an official transcript is required from each college the student has attended.

Students who interrupt enrollment for more than one academic year must fulfill the Bulletin requirements in effect at the time of reentry/readmission, or they may opt to fulfill the requirements published in the last previous Bulletin. Only with written approval of the appropriate department chairperson or program director can students elect to fulfill the requirements of any previous Bulletin.



Hamline is approved by the Veterans Administration for the education of veterans under the provisions of the Vocational Rehabilitation Act (Public Law 16 and the Vocational 894). A certificate of eligibility should be secured by the veteran from the regional office of the Veterans Administration and presented to the Student Administrative Services office prior to registration. Hamline is responsible for certifying, training, and transmitting necessary credentials and information to the Veterans Administration. For more information and to contact the VA Certifying Official, go to