2015-2016 Graduate Bulletin 
    Mar 01, 2024  
2015-2016 Graduate Bulletin [Archived Bulletin]

Academic Standards

(Note: Changes in the following standards and policies may go into effect periodically.)

The following are policies that apply specifically to graduate students; however, additional Hamline University policies apply as well. Visit www.hamline.edu/policies for more information.

Academic Honor Code
Academic Progress for Graduate Students
Accommodations for Disabilities
Class Cancellation
Course Evaluation
Course Drop and Withdrawal
Credit Hour Policy
Financial Hold
Grade Definitions and Grading Information
Grade Change and Appeal
Military Leave

Name and Gender Change
Release of Student Information (FERPA)
Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy
     for Financial Aid
State Eligibility and Complaint Process
Student Status (Full-Time/Part-Time Status)
Technology Use
Time Limits
Transfer Credit/Credit Equivalencies
Tuition and Fees
Withdrawing from a Program

Academic Honor Code

Statement of Purpose

Every member of the Hamline University community—students, faculty, administrators, and staff—is responsible for upholding the highest standards of academic integrity at all times. The assumption that academic work is an honest reflection of one’s knowledge and skills is fundamental to the integrity of Hamline University and to the value of a Hamline diploma. If students at an institution of higher education develop a reputation for receiving grades based on honest work, then the GPAs and academic degrees held by all students from that institution are valued more highly. The faculty subscribes to standards of academic honesty in its research and teaching. Every person in the University is responsible for adhering to the principles of the Academic Honor Code (Code). 


Academic dishonesty includes any act that has the effect, or intention, of giving one student an unfair advantage over others in three areas: (1) the completion of academic work; (2) the evaluation of that work and/or (3) the inaccurate representation of one’s academic work. Prohibited conduct under the Code includes, but is not limited to, the following: 


  • Using notes or other source materials (without instructor permission) while taking a quiz/exam
  • Copying another student’s answers on a quiz/exam
  • Using electronic devices (e.g., phones, pagers, computers, calculators) in an unauthorized manner during an exam
  • Copying another student’s homework assignment
  • Submitting, in whole or in part, a paper that is not your own work (e.g., purchasing a paper on the Internet or submitting another person’s paper)
  • Collaborating on a take-home exam assigned to be completed individually
  • Altering answers on a graded exam or assignment in order to resubmit your work for a better grade


  • Using ideas and information from any source, published or unpublished, without proper attribution (e.g., from a book, journal, newspaper, report, speech, media broadcast, interview, or the Internet)
  • Quoting, paraphrasing, or otherwise using text from a source without crediting the author(s)
  • Copying sentences, phrases, or other language verbatim from a source without using quotation marks and citing reference
  • Presenting work completed by another individual (including another student) as your own

Making Multiple Submissions 

  • Submitting, without prior authorization, a paper or assignment completed for one class to fulfill a requirement for another class

Fabricating Information 

  • Using and/or submitting fabricated or altered information for any academic exercise or requirement, e.g., making up data for an experiment or citing non-existent sources in a paper
  • Fabricating or lying about reasons for requesting an extension on a quiz/exam, paper, or other assignment

Using Materials in an Unauthorized Manner 

  • Stealing or otherwise acquiring unauthorized access to examinations or faculty instructional materials
  • Removing books, periodicals, or other sources from the library without permission 
  • Damaging books, periodicals, and other library sources
  • Keeping library and reference materials beyond permitted time with the intent of preventing others from using them (e.g., items on reserve) 

Misrepresenting Academic Records 

  • Misrepresenting or tampering with, or attempting to misrepresent or tamper with, any portion of one’s own academic record either before, during, or after enrollment at Hamline
  • Forging a signature on any form for oneself or others
  • Altering, or attempting to alter, academic computer records 
  • Falsifying academic information on a resume

Facilitating Academic Dishonesty

  • Engaging knowingly in any act that facilitates the academic dishonesty of another student, e.g., permitting another student to copy your answers on a quiz/exam or assignment
  • Giving or selling a quiz/exam, paper, or assignment to another student
  • Informing students in later sections of a class of questions on a quiz/exam

Violations and Sanctions

Violations of the Code will be dealt with seriously. If a student is accused of engaging in academic dishonesty in a class, the faculty member may decide on a sanction for the student (e.g., assign a failing grade for an exam or the course). The student will be informed of the alleged violation, the evidence upon which the allegation is based, and the sanction to be imposed. The faculty member will file a violation report via email with the Office of the Dean, which will maintain a permanent record of reported student violations. Students may appeal to the Chair of the Department in which the class is housed, who will consider the appeal in consultation with the appropriate program director. Should a student be dissatisfied with the decision of the Department Chair and/or Program Director, the student may appeal to the Associate Dean (College of Liberal Arts/School of Business) or the Student Appeals Committee (School of Education). If still dissatisfied, the student may appeal to the Provost. The decision of the Provost will be final. 

Sanctions for students found to have engaged in academic dishonesty may include:

  • Failing or receiving a lower grade on an exam, paper, or assignment
  • Failing or receiving a lower grade for a course
  • Academic suspension or expulsion


Academic Progress for Graduate Students

Students must make satisfactory progress toward their degree or license. Students who, for example, have poor class attendance records, fail to complete several courses, or have a consistently low GPA may be suspended at the discretion of the program dean/director and the faculty advisory committee.


Accommodations for Disabilities

Hamline University and the Disability Resources office are committed to ensuring equal access to the university and its programs for students with disabilities. Disability Resources coordinates and provides reasonable accommodations, collaborates to create an accessible and hospitable learning environment, and promotes self-determination on the part of the individuals they serve. The office supports and accommodates students with physical, sensory, attentional, psychiatric, and learning disabilities.

In accordance with Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and the Americans with Disabilities Act, as amended 2008, Hamline University shall make reasonable accommodations to any qualified individual with a disability.  To be eligible for accommodations, a student must have a documented disability as defined by the Americans with Disabilities Act, as amended 2008, and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973. According to these laws, a person has a disability if they have a physical or mental impairment that substantially limits one or more major life activities. Major life activities include, but are not limited to, caring for oneself, performing manual tasks, seeing, hearing, eating, sleeping, walking, standing, lifting, bending, speaking, breathing, learning, reading, concentrating, thinking, communicating, and working. A qualified student with a disability is defined by Section 504 as anyone who meets the academic and technical standards required for admission or participation in a post-secondary institution’s programs and activities.

In order to receive reasonable accommodations, students are responsible for:

  • Contacting Disability Resources to discuss their needs and/or request accommodations.
  • Providing Disability Resources with appropriate information to establish the presence of a disability and/or support the need for reasonable accommodations. (For detailed information about documenting disabilities, visit www.hamline.edu/disabilityresources or contact the Disability Resources director.)
  • Keeping the Disability Resources director informed and providing updated documentation if their disability or its symptoms change.
  • Requesting accommodations as far ahead of time as possible. Some accommodations cannot be effectively arranged if they are requested on short notice. For example, it can take up to 4 weeks to prepare audio books.
  • Discussing accommodations with faculty and staff members as needed and notifying Disability Resources right away if there are any concerns or difficulties with receiving accommodations.

Hamline University has the right to:

  • Identify and establish essential elements and technical standards, abilities, skills, knowledge, and standards for courses, programs, and services.
  • Request and receive recent and appropriate documentation from a qualified professional that verifies and supports the request for accommodations.
  • Consult with the student in making the final determination regarding the selection of effective and reasonable accommodations.
  • Make the final decision regarding which accommodations will be provided.
  • Deny a request for accommodations if the documentation does not demonstrate they are warranted, or is not provided in a timely manner.
  • Refuse to provide any accommodation that is unreasonable, including any that:
    • Poses a direct threat to the health and safety of the individual requesting the accommodation or of others.
    • Consists of a fundamental change or alteration of an essential element of a course or program.
    • Results in an undue financial or administrative burden on the institution.

Students seeking accommodations should contact the Director of Disability Resources at 651-523-2521.



Students are not permitted to attend classes for which they are not registered.

Students are expected to attend all course meetings and to turn in all course work as assigned. Students who are unable to attend a class or submit an assignment in a timely manner should inform their instructor in advance. Academic penalties, including failure of a course, may be imposed for missing class meetings or late assignments. Expectations for online courses are handled on a course-by-course basis.

Students who miss class to observe religious holidays or to attend political caucuses will not be penalized if arrangements are made with the instructor in advance.

If class assignments include group work, each student in the group must contribute his or her fair and proportionate share to the project.

Students may not submit substantially similar work or material for more than one course unless they obtain permission from the instructors of all applicable courses. This applies to courses taken simultaneously or in different terms.


Class Cancellation

In the unlikely event that course enrollment does not reach the minimum, the course will be canceled. Students are notified via email as soon as the course has been officially canceled by the University.



Graduates are honored at the annual commencement ceremony held at the end of each spring term. Clearance of all financial obligations is essential in order to receive a diploma. Diplomas are distributed within six to eight weeks following commencement. The transcript degree conferral date is the date when final requirements are met or the end of term.


Course Drop and Withdrawal

Students who no longer wish to attend a course for which they are registered have the option to drop or withdraw from the class. The determination of whether a student is eligible to drop or withdraw is based on how much of the course has already taken place. Graduate students must request to be dropped or withdrawn from their courses via email to registrar@hamline.edu or in person at Student Administrative Services, located in East Hall.

It is the student’s responsibility to request enrollment changes of any kind. Instructors are not permitted to drop or withdraw students from classes under any circumstances. Non-attendance does not result in an automatic drop or withdrawal.

Dropping a course: Students may drop a course if they are within the drop period. Dropping a course means:

  • No notation of the course recorded on transcript;
  • No tuition owed;
  • Return of all financial aid, if applicable.

Deadlines for dropping a course are based on how many credits a course is worth and are as follows:

Fall and Spring terms (and Summer term only for School of Business masters students):

4 credits: 14 calendar days from the start date of the course*
3 credits: 10 calendar days from the start date of the course*
2 credits: 7 calendar days from the start date of the course*
1 credit: 2 calendar days from the start date of the course*

Winter term*:

All courses: 2 calendar days from the start date of the course*

Summer term* (except School of Business masters students):

4 or 3 credits: 7 calendar days from the start date of the course*
2 or 1 credits: 2 calendar days from the start date of the course*

*If a course’s duration is less than the number of calendar days in the drop schedule, the course must be dropped the day after it begins. If the course meets 2 days or less, the course must be dropped prior to the start of the course.

If a course’s drop date falls on a non-business day, drop requests will be honored if received by the next business day.

Exception: MFA in Writing for Children & Young Adults students follow the above for non-residency terms. During residency terms, students may drop up to 10 days prior to the start of the residency and owe no tuition. If dropping fewer than 10 days before the start of the residency, 100% of the tuition will be owed.

Withdrawing from a course: Students who wish to stop attending a course after the drop deadline must request a withdrawal. Withdrawing from a course means:

  • A grade of “W” recorded on transcript;
  • Tuition owed based on effective date of withdrawal;
  • Recalculation of all financial aid, if applicable.

In all cases, a request to withdraw from a course must be received prior to the last day of the class.


Course Evaluation

Students are expected to evaluate their current courses and quality of instruction at the conclusion of every course. If a student has a concern outside the evaluation process, it is recommended that the student first address the instructor. If unable to resolve the concern, the student should consult with the program dean to discuss both informal and formal processes for dealing with the concern. In a case where the instructor is the dean, the student should consult with the Provost’s Office.

Access to view grades may be delayed if a student fails to complete the course evaluation during the open period.


Credit Hour Policy

Hamline University uses the definition of a credit hour as recommended by the US Department of Education:

Federal Credit Hour Definition: A credit hour is an amount of work represented in intended learning outcomes and verified by evidence of student achievement that is an institutionally-established equivalency that reasonably approximates not less than: (1) one academic hour of classroom or direct faculty instruction and a minimum of two hours of out-of-class student work each week for approximately fifteen weeks for one semester or trimester hour of credit, or ten to twelve weeks for one quarter hour of credit, or the equivalent amount of work over a different amount of time; or (2) at least an equivalent amount of work as required in paragraph (1) of this definition for other activities as established by an institution, including laboratory work, internships, practica, studio work, and other academic work leading toward to the award of credit hours.

This definition of a credit hour applies to courses at all levels. However, any college within the University may choose to set a policy requiring learning outcomes equivalent to more work than is defined in the federal credit hour definition.


Financial Hold: Restrictions on Registration and Release of Academic Records

Students who have a past due balance on their Hamline University student account will be placed on financial hold. This financial hold prevents registration for courses or changes to a student’s registration schedule. In addition, no official transcript or diploma will be released until all financial obligations are paid in full.


Grade Definitions and Grading Information

Students may occasionally have the option of choosing a grading system (letter grade, pass/no pass, audit, etc.) and must identify this preference at the time of registration. This decision is irreversible. To protect student identity and confidentiality, grades are not given out over the telephone or faxed, and transcripts are not released if a student’s account balance is not current. For official transcript information, call 651-523-2345 or check www.hamline.edu/transcript.

Grades: The following grades may be assigned:

Grade   Value/Definition
A   4.00
A-   3.70
B+   3.30
B   3.00
B-   2.70
C+   2.30
C   2.00
C-   1.70
D+   1.30
D   1.00
D-   .70
F   0.00
AU   Audit-no credit given-attended class
EX   Registration extended to following term
I   Incomplete
N   No credit
P   Pass-credit awarded
W   Withdrawn

Incomplete Grade: With an instructor’s approval, a student may take an incomplete (“I”) in a course. An “I” will be given only in unusual circumstances that are beyond the control of the student. An “I” cannot be granted for failing or uncompleted work (a substantial portion of the work must have already been completed). All instructors enter “I” grades via Piperline before a term’s grading deadline.

An instructor must update an “I” to a final grade within four months after the end of the registration term (or by August 31 if the student intends to graduate in the summer). Otherwise, the “I” will convert to an “F” grade.  If an “I” has been converted to an “F,” the student may complete the necessary course work, at the instructor’s discretion, within one year in accordance with the grade change policy. The student may not complete course work after that time.

Audit Grades: Generally, students may audit master’s level courses on a space-available basis and with the permission of the program office. Students who audit a course will not receive academic credit for the course. The decision to audit is irreversible. A final grade of AU is assigned to the student’s permanent record. Auditors participate in all classroom activities, projects, and assignments but do not receive evaluation for their work. College of Liberal Arts graduate writing courses, School of Business MBA modules, and EdD courses may not be audited. Contact the program office for audit registration and fee information. Students intending to audit a course must submit an audit registration form with the required approvals to Registration and Records (East Hall 113) no later than the add/drop deadline.

Grades for Degree Program and Licensure Students: For masters and doctoral students, only grades of “B” or better, or Pass, are acceptable toward graduation. Exceptions are described below. All grades appear on students’ official transcripts, but only letter grades are calculated into the GPA. Grades for courses transferred into a graduate degree program at Hamline are not calculated into students’ GPAs. Students may view final grades on Piperline at www.hamline.edu/piperline.

  • Grades for College of Liberal Arts Graduate Students: Residencies, internships, and capstone projects are graded on a Pass/No Credit basis, while all other classes are assigned a letter grade. Sampler courses may be taken by degree-seeking students for a letter grade or for Pass/No Credit. Sampler classes taken for Pass/No Credit may not be used for degree credit.
  • Grades for School of Business Graduate Students: For MBA students, grades of C or better are acceptable for graduation. All graduate students must maintain a 3.0 GPA in order to graduate. Letter grades are assigned for all courses, including capstones. GPA 8992: Dissertation II; GPA 8993: Dissertation III; GPA 8994: Dissertation IV; and GPA 8995: Dissertation V are graded on a Pass/No Credit basis.
  • Grades for School of Education Students: Students in the Master of Arts in Education (MAEd) and Master of Arts in ESL programs receive a Pass/No Credit upon completion of the capstone. All education licensure advanced practica are taken Pass/No Credit (except for the Advanced Reading Practicum and Keyboarding Practicum, which are taken for a letter grade). All other education licensure course work that is to be used toward licensure must be taken for a letter grade. Education licensure students must maintain a 3.0 GPA in order to be recommended for any licensure. The practicum seminar and exit interview in Administrative Licensure are taken for no credit, but a “P” is issued upon completion of the processes.

Repeat Grades/GPA for All Students: See program specific requirements for grades. Only those courses in which grades below the minimum requirement were received may be repeated for credit/GPA purposes. All grades earned remain permanently on the transcript record; however, only the grade and credit recorded for the last time the course is taken are used in the calculation of the cumulative GPA and credits earned. Students incur normal tuition charges for repeated courses. When a repeated course is a transfer course, the repeated grade is not counted in the Hamline GPA.


Grade Change and Appeal

Faculty Initiated Grade Change

Faculty members may apply to change a student’s initial grade up to a year after the grade was initially due. The requested change is pending approval of the respective dean’s office. The faculty initiated grade change form (Application for Change of Undergraduate Grade) can be downloaded via the Faculty Services tab in Piperline under the “Hamline Faculty Document Menu.” Faculty log-in is required to access the form.

Student Initiated Grade Change

Grade Change
Students may request of their instructors course grade changes based on a claim of clerical mistake, oversight, omission, or arbitrary and capricious grade assignment and must do so within 30 calendar days of the date the grade was issued. The grade change procedure is not to be used to challenge grades on individual assignments. It is the responsibility of the student to determine whether the grade change request must be made sooner than this deadline in situations where prerequisite course requirements are involved in the student’s course sequence.

Students must meet with their instructor to request a grade change. To start the grade change request process, the student must contact the instructor to request a face-to-face meeting, and the instructor must respond in a timely manner to schedule the meeting. If the instructor or the student is no longer on campus, or if the student has a compelling reason why a face-to-face meeting would not be feasible, the instructor will engage in timely written communications with the student about the grade change request.

A decision regarding a requested grade change will be made by the faculty member within three weeks, or, if the request was submitted on a date outside the dates of a full semester (as defined by the program offering the course), within three weeks after the start of the academic semester following the receipt of the grade change request. By the applicable deadline, the faculty member will notify the student of the decision regarding the grade change, and, if the faculty member decides to change the course grade, the faculty member will also notify the Registrar. The Registrar will send confirmation of the grade change to the faculty member and student.

Grade Appeal
No grade appeal may be filed unless a grade change has first been sought and a decision reached. The grade appeal procedure shall be utilized if a student has been unsuccessful in achieving a grade change and wishes to pursue the matter further. As with grade change requests, the appeal procedure is only for course grades and is not to be used to challenge grades on individual assignments. In addition, the appeal procedure may be used only when the student contends that the course grade was assigned on an arbitrary or capricious basis. “Arbitrary or capricious” implies that:

  • The student has been assigned a course grade on the basis of something other than his or her performance in the course; or
  • The course grade is based upon standards that are significant, unannounced and unreasonable departures from those standards articulated in the course description, the syllabus, or standards otherwise clearly conveyed to the students in the course.

Grade appeal process:

  • The student must first communicate with the instructor and request a grade change under the grade change process identified above.
  • If the student is unsuccessful in achieving a grade change and wishes to further pursue the matter, he or she must submit a completed Grade Appeal Request Form, with all materials supporting the grade appeal, to the department chairperson or designated academic administrator (or Dean, if the department chairperson or designated academic administrator was the instructor). Students can download the Grade Appeal Request Form at hamline.edu/registrar/forms. The student is to complete Part 1. Department chair or dean will complete Part 2. Both forms, completed and signed, are required.
  • The student must request the grade appeal no later than six months following the end of the academic term in which the course was taken, or within 30 calendar days of notification from the instructor as to the decision on the grade change request, whichever is later. Any application for a grade appeal after this deadline will not be accepted.
  • The department chairperson or designated academic administrator (or Dean, if the department chairperson or designated academic administrator was the instructor) will consider the appeal and may request additional information if needed for consideration of the grade appeal.
  • The department chairperson or designated academic administrator (or Dean where applicable) will make his or her best effort to communicate with the instructor regarding any grade appeal and allow for input from the instructor.
  • A decision will be made by the department chairperson or designated academic administrator (or Dean where applicable) within three weeks of receiving the Grade Appeal Request Form, or, if the request was submitted on a date outside the dates of a full semester (as defined by the program offering the course), within three weeks after the start of the academic semester following the receipt of the grade appeal submission. This time line and the proceedings under this policy may be adjusted at the discretion of the department chairperson or designated academic administrator (or Dean where applicable) in the circumstances where the student has alleged a violation covered by the Discrimination and Harassment Policy in the award of a final grade.
  • The department chairperson or designated academic administrator (or Dean where applicable) will provide notification of the decision to the student, the instructor, the Dean, and the Registrar, and will provide the student a copy of the Grade Appeal Request Form with the department chairperson’s or designated academic administrator’s section completed.
  • If the student wishes to appeal the initial grade appeal decision, he or she may request, in writing, a review by the Dean of the department in which the course was taught. If the department chairperson or designated academic administrator was the instructor of the course and the Dean decided the initial grade appeal, the student may appeal by requesting, in writing, a review by the Provost. The written request in either event must include a copy of the Grade Appeal Request Form, as completed by the person who decided the initial appeal, and all documents submitted with the form. The request must be received within 30 calendar days of the date that the student was notified of the initial grade appeal decision. The Dean or Provost shall make a decision within 30 calendar days of receipt of the appeal materials. This decision is final.
  • The Dean or Provost will notify the student and the instructor of the final decision and provide the student a copy of the Grade Appeal Request Form with the Dean’s section completed. The Dean, or the Provost, will notify the Registrar of any course grade change.


Military Leave

If an enrolled student is called to active duty, s/he should follow the standard procedures for taking a leave of absence from Hamline University. Undergraduate students should meet with an advisor in the Academic Advising office. Graduate students should contact the Registrar in the Student Administrative Services office. Law students should contact the Registrar in the School of law. The student should provide a copy of their military orders.

Leave during the add/drop period

If the student is called to active duty during the standard add/drop period, they will be dropped from their courses for that term. The student will receive full tuition refund and the courses will not appear on their transcript.

Leave during the percentage withdrawal period

If the student is called to active duty during the percentage withdrawal period, the tuition and financial aid calculations will be processed as usual. The student will receive a grade of W for all courses for that semester.

Leave after the withdrawal period

If the student is called to active duty after the withdrawal period has ended, the student’s military orders will serve as a petition for late withdrawal. The student will be withdrawn from all courses. No tuition will be refunded and the student will receive a grade of W for all courses for that semester.

Future tuition credit

Students who are determined to have paid tuition during the semester they are called to active duty are eligible to receive a credit for the amount paid. Following the withdrawal process, the amount of tuition paid will be determined by Student Accounts and Financial Aid in consultation with the Registrar’s office. Tuition paid includes cash or check, student loans, Pell Grant, Minnesota State Grant, SEOG and outside scholarships. Hamline scholarships and grants are not included in determining the future credit. The student will receive a letter stating the amount and terms for the credit. A copy of the letter will be kept on file in Financial Aid and the Registrar’s Office. The Financial Aid Office will apply the credit to the student’s account during the term the student re-enrolls. The credit will be valid no more than three years from the date the student commences the non-voluntary military leave.


Name and Gender Changes

All official name or gender change requests for current and former students must be made to Registration and Records (East Hall 113).

Name Changes: All current and former students have the opportunity to change their names on institutional records upon the production of evidence showing the student name has been officially changed, accompanied by a written request from the student. A copy of a court order, a marriage certificate, or a dissolution decree reflecting the new name in full are examples of the evidence required to support an official name change. Minor changes in names can be made without a court order at the discretion of the Registrar (for example, spelling corrections or revisions). In these instances the student must provide documentation such as a current driver’s license with photo, Social Security card, or resident alien card. Note that diplomas are issued with the student’s legal name on file at the time of degree completion.

Gender Changes: A copy of a court order is required, along with a written request from the student in order to change gender on institutional records. 



The Hamline registration website at www.hamline.edu/registration lists registration instructions, course information, an academic calendar for the term, and registration forms for degree and licensure students. Registration closes the day before the beginning of the course. Courses involving travel or other events may have earlier deadlines.

Hamline course offerings are available at www.hamline.edu/classschedules.

Contact Student Administrative Services at 651-523-3000 if you have questions related to registration.

  • Degree Program and Licensure Students register for master’s and doctoral level classes on Piperline at www.hamline.edu/piperline.
  • Professional Development for Educators Students register for classes online through Piperline at www.hamline.edu/piperline.
  • Non-Degree/Non-License Students (such as Sampler and Adult Special students) register by mail, fax, or in person in the Student Administrative Services office. Publications are available listing courses; however, the most current are always listed on Piperline. Early registration is recommended as classes may fill. However, students may register for classes up until the first day of class as long as the class is still open.
  • Special Registrations such as independent studies, internships, field experiences, capstone, advanced practicum, personal assessment, and other individual projects require specific registration forms and approvals. The appropriate forms are available online or in the program offices. Prior to submitting a special registration, students should consult their advisor or a faculty member regarding the format of the project. Students approaching their capstone projects should meet with a faculty advisor for guidance well before the registration term begins. Most special registrations require the permission of the project advisor, and sometimes that of the program dean or director. The student is responsible for obtaining all necessary permissions before submitting the registration to Student Administrative Services.
  • Registration Processing: Registrations for all students are processed on a first-come, first-served basis. Registrations received from students with registration holds will not be processed until the hold (financial or administrative) is released. For degree- and license-seeking students, a $50 late fee is charged for registrations received after the last day to add/drop a course. This fee will also be charged if a registration cannot be processed by that deadline because of a registration hold (administrative or financial).
  • Enrolling after the Class Start: Instructor permission is required to add a course after the class has started. Appropriate forms to add/drop are available in Student Administrative Services (East Hall 113).
  • Confirmation of Registration: Students can check their Piperline schedules to confirm registration at www.hamline.edu/piperline. Students may request their Piperline pin by calling the ITS Helpdesk at 651-523-2220.


Release of Student Information (FERPA)

Access to student records, which complies with the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (FERPA), is described below:


  • Record: A record includes any data or information about you and related individuals, regardless of the media used to create or maintain the record.
  • Education Records: Educational records include records maintained by the institution but exclude records maintained by individuals and available only to those individuals or designated substitutes (that is, “personal files”). Your educational records are located and maintained by administrators in one or more of the following offices: Admissions; Alumni Relations; Financial Aid; Registration & Records; Student Accounts; and your academic program office. Note: The Registration and Records office is the only university office authorized to issue official transcripts and certify students’ enrollment status. All requests for such documentation must be directed to that office.
  • Public Information: Public information (also called “directory” information) consists of your name, student ID number, address, e-mail address, telephone number, dates of attendance, full-time or part-time enrollment status, photographs taken and maintained by the university for various purposes, previous institutions attended, major and minor fields of study, awards, honors, degrees and dates conferred, past and present participation in officially recognized sports and activities, physical factors (height, weight) of athletes, and date and place of birth. Records of arrests and/or convictions are public records and thus not subject to university policy. Note: If you wish to restrict the release of your directory information, you must do so by notifying Registration and Records (East Hall, 113).

Release in Emergencies: The confidentiality of all records may be broken in an emergency if deemed necessary by the severity of the emergency, the usefulness of the records, and the extent to which time is critical.

Release to You: Your records are available to you with the following exceptions: confidential letters of recommendation submitted prior to 1975; records of your parents’ financial status; records related to your student employment that are subject to other laws and are administered by the Human Resources office; medical and psychological records (which will be released only to a healthcare professional designated by you); and, if you signed a voluntary waiver of access, letters of recommendation related to admission, candidacy for awards, and candidacy for employment-these records may be used only for the purpose originally intended. You may see any of your available records within 45 days after submitting a written request to the Registration and Records office, either in person or by mail. You will receive an interpretation of the record upon request, at or after the time that access is granted.

Release to Hamline Faculty and Staff: Your records are available to members of the faculty and staff (school officials) who have a legitimate need for them, as determined by the administrator of the office responsible for maintenance of the record.

Release to Others: Except as specified below, your records will be released only upon completion of a consent form or letter you have signed. Any such release will include a notice that further release by the recipient is prohibited by law. A record of the release will be maintained.

Records about you will be released without your consent to your parents if you are a dependent as defined by the Internal Revenue Service; to federal officers as prescribed by law; as required by state law; to agencies or individuals conducting educational research (provided that the administrator of the records is satisfied concerning the legitimacy of the research effort and the confidentiality to be maintained by the researcher); to agencies responsible for accreditation of the institution or its programs; in response to a lawful subpoena, after making reasonable attempts to provide prior notification and opportunity for objection by you; and to institutional security officers when necessary for a criminal investigation.

Retention of Records: Hamline University reserves the right to maintain only those records it considers useful and to set retention schedules for various categories of those records. However, the administrator responsible for each category of records will ensure that a record being challenged is not destroyed prior to resolution of the dispute.


Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy for Financial Aid

Financial aid eligibility is based on satisfactory academic progress (SAP) standards that Hamline University Office of Financial Aid is required by the U. S. Department of Education to establish, publish, and apply. The Financial Aid Office measures academic performance and enforces SAP standards to ensure that financial aid recipients progress toward completion of their degree or certificate program. Students who fail to meet these standards become ineligible to receive financial aid until compliant with all of the requirements detailed in this policy.

To demonstrate Satisfactory Academic Progress, a student’s academic performance must meet two main SAP components. The first is a qualitative component, represented by grade point average (GPA). The second is a quantitative component measured by credit completion the ratio between attempted and completed credits) and the maximum timeframe to complete the degree or certificate program.

Section 1. Standards of Satisfactory Academic Progress

Grade Point Average – All graduate and professional students must maintain a cumulative GPA that is equivalent to the graduation standards published by their program.

Credit Completion – Students must complete 67% of all credits attempted. A completed credit has a grade of A, B, C, D, HP, or P. Withdrawals, incompletes, and repeated courses are included in attempted credits.

Maximum Time Frame – Students are expected to finish their degree or certificate within an acceptable period of time. Acceptable period of time for financial aid recipients is defined as 150% of the required number of credits needed to complete their program.  This includes transfer credits from another college that apply to the Hamline program. For example, for a program that requires 48 credits, students must finish their program before they reach 72 attempted credits.  Hamline is required to suspend aid eligibility after any review which shows that the student cannot possibly complete the program within the 150% program length. Review graduate bulletin to view number of required credits for your program. Students who require developmental coursework may appeal to have the 150% limit extended.

Section 2. Definitions/Conditions

  • Credit – A credit is the unit by which academic work is measured.
  • Attempted credit – An attempted credit includes all credits for which you are registered at the beginning of each term.
  • Cumulative credits – Cumulative credits represent the total number of credits evaluated (attempted and earned) for all periods of enrollment at the University, including summer and J-terms or terms for which the student did not receive aid.
  • Earned credits – Earned credits are those that are successfully completed with a grade of A, B, C, D, HP, and P and all plus and minus variations. Grades of I, W, N, F, and EX, or drops are not counted as earned credits. Audit credits are not counted as attempted or earned credits.
  • Grade Point Average (GPA) – The GPA is calculated using a grade point value outlined in the catalog for grades A, B, C, D, and F and all plus or minus variations. Although a grade of P or HP will count as credit earned, it carries no grade point value.
  • Incompletes – An “I” or “EX” are included in the cumulative credits attempted. These credits cannot be used as earned credits until a passing grade is assigned.
  • Repeat Credits – Repeats may be allowed in order to improve a grade or meet program requirements. They are included in credit completion and maximum time frame standards. The most recent grade will become the grade calculated for GPA.
  • Transfer Credits – Grades associated with transfer credits are not included in the cumulative GPA calculation. Transfer credits accepted by Hamline University that are applicable to the current degree program apply toward the maximum time frame calculation for that program.
  • Change of Degree, and Dual Degree – Many students receive multiple awards from Hamline University. Only attempted credits eligible for application toward the student’s current degree program will count toward the maximum time frame of that degree. Attempted and earned credits under all degrees will be included in the calculation of GPA and credit completion. Students who change degree or seek a dual degree may appeal for an extension of the maximum time frame provision of this policy. Appeals will be evaluated on an individual, case-by-case basis.
  • Consortium/Joint Program Credits – Credits accepted by the University are included with attempted and earned credit totals. 

Section 3. Implementation

Academic progress for every financial aid applicant will be monitored after each semester, including summer term. If the program is less than one year in length the review will take place at the mid-point. All of a student’s academic coursework is considered in the review process, whether the student received aid that term or not. The assessment will be based on the student’s entire academic record, including all transfer credit hours accepted. Because grades may not be available before the next scheduled term begins, it is possible that financial aid may be disbursed before the review is conducted. In the event that a student is found to be ineligible for the financial aid that has been disbursed due to failure to meet one of the standards, the aid that was disbursed will be canceled and returned to the appropriate program(s). If the student successfully appeals and is granted a probationary term, the aid can be reinstated for that term.

  • Financial Aid Warning Status If the student does not meet either the GPA or Credit Completion standard, the student will be placed on Financial Aid warning for the next registered term. While on warning status, students are eligible to receive financial aid. To be removed from financial aid warning status, the student must meet the program’s minimum cumulative GPA requirement and credit completion standards. A student who has reached the maximum time frame prior to completing the program will no longer eligible for financial aid.
  • Financial aid ineligibility/suspension – Students who do not meet the minimum cumulative GPA and/or credit completion ratio or do not meet the terms of financial aid probation will be no longer eligible for federal, state or institutional aid. Students may be eligible for private loan programs and outside assistance that does not require SAP.

    Provided the student’s academic status allows for registration, s/he may attend the University at his or her own expense until the minimum cumulative GPA and credit completion requirement has been met.

    Hamline University may immediately deem a student ineligible for financial aid in the event of extraordinary circumstances, such as a student who registers for but does not earn any credits for two consecutive terms, or a student who demonstrates an attendance pattern that abuses the receipt of financial aid.

    Students who failed to meet these standards due to unusual circumstances may appeal the financial aid SAP suspension status.
  • Academic suspension – Students who have been suspended by the University are no longer eligible for financial aid. If a student is readmitted, s/he must complete the SAP appeal process. Eligibility for financial aid will be determined based on financial aid SAP standards through a review of the academic record.

Section 4. Right to Appeal

A student who is unable to achieve satisfactory academic progress and is suspended from receiving financial aid has the right to appeal. The student may appeal the financial aid suspension status within 14 days of date of suspension notification or prior to the start of the term.  If appeals are received after the start of the term, they will be considered, provided there is an acceptable reason for the delay.  Students are encouraged to submit appeals if:

  • The record shows that the student has now earned the required cumulative minimum GPA and credit completion ratio to meet SAP standards.
  • The student is readmitted after suspension by the University.
  • Unusual circumstances interfered with the student’s ability to meet SAP standards, including but not limited to:
    • Illness, accident, or injury experienced by the student or a significant person in the student’s life.
    • Death of a family member or significant person in the student’s life.
    • Divorce experienced by the student or parent.
    • Reinstatement after an academic dismissal or extended break in the student’s enrollment.
    • Personal problems or issues with spouse, family, roommate, or other significant person.
    • Exceeding time frame while in a second undergraduate or dual degree program or as a result of changing major.

To appeal, students must submit to the Financial Aid Office the following:

  • A statement from the student explaining the nature of the extenuating circumstances that contributed to the SAP deficiency with an explanation of how the barriers/circumstances to academic success have been removed.
  • Third party documentation to support the circumstances, if applicable.
  • Approved academic plan developed by the student and academic personnel from student’s program office.

Financial Aid Probation

If the student successfully appeals the financial aid ineligibility/suspension status, the student will be placed on financial aid probation for their next registered term. While on probation, students are eligible to receive financial aid. Students on financial aid probation status are encouraged to use the many academic support services on campus to improve their academic standing.

To be removed from financial aid probation for following terms, the student must meet the general SAP GPA and credit completion standards or meet the terms listed in their specific approved academic plan.  If after any review period the student is no longer meeting the terms of the academic plan or the general SAP standards, Hamline will suspend federal, state and institutional aid.


College of Liberal Arts                
Master of Fine Arts   MFA   48 credits   72 credits   3.0
Master of Fine Arts in Writing for Children and Young Adults   MFA   52 credits   78 credits   3.0
eDiscovery   Certificate   18 credits   27 credits   2.0
School of Business                
Doctorate of Public Administration   DPA   48 credits   72 credits   3.3
Master of Business Administration   MBA   48 credits   72 credits   3.0
Master of Nonprofit Management   MNM   48 credits   72 credits   3.0
Master of Public Administration   MPA   48 credits   72 credits   3.0
School of Education                
Additional License                
  Elementary       55 credits   82 credits   3.0
  Secondary       79 credits   118 credits   3.0
  K-12       64 credits   96 credits   3.0
  English Second Language       53 credits   79 credits   3.0
Administrative Licensure       24 credits   36 credits   3.0
Doctorate in Education   EDD   68 credits   102 credits   3.0
Master of Arts in Education   MAEd   34 credits   51 credits   3.0
Master of Arts in Education:
Natural Science and Environmental Education
  MAED:NSEE   35 credits   52 credits   3.0
Master of Arts in English as a Second Language   MAESL   40 credits   60 credits   3.0
Master of Arts in Literacy Education   MALED   34 credits   51 credits   3.0
Master of Arts in Teaching   MAT            
  Elementary       72 credits   108 credits   3.0
  Secondary       88 credits   132 credits   3.0
  K-12       90 credits   135 credits   3.0
  English Second Language       65 credits   97 credits   3.0
Master of Arts in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages   MA-TESOL   34 credits   51 credits   3.0


State Eligibility and Complaint Process

State Eligibility: Hamline University, like all higher education institutions, is required to obtain authorization from individual states to enroll students residing outside of Minnesota. Hamline can enroll students residing in most states, but please confirm whether your state is among the eligible states. Eligibility by state is available at www.hamline.edu/academics/online-state-eligibility/.

Complaint Process: Hamline University is committed to providing outstanding online education. If you have a question, concern, or complaint about your online education experience at Hamline, please review our complaint process for online education at Hamline at www.hamline.edu/academics/online-state-eligibility/#complaints.


Student Status (Full-Time/Part-Time Status)

For Hamline graduate students, full-time status is defined as 8 semester credits per term, three-quarter-time is 6 semester credits per term, and half-time status is 4 semester credits per term.


Technology Use

Hamline University recognizes the growing importance of technology as a means to support its missions of education, research and service, and therefore provides faculty, students and staff with access to technology, which includes a high-speed local area network, access to shared network software and storage space, public computing facilities, support services, on-line Library databases and access to the Internet. In return users of Hamline’s technology must be committed to complying with university policies and applicable law on appropriate use of these systems. All users of Hamline’s technology are expected to observe the highest standards of responsibility and ethics. In general this means that an individual’s use of technology should not infringe on the rights of other users, utilize an unfair share of system resources, or interfere with the normal operation of the computer system.

Because we are an academic community, the faculty, students and staff of Hamline University honor intellectual property, respect the privacy of data, and respect the rights of others. As a carrier of information, Hamline University does not subject users’ files to prior review. However, the University does make its best effort to educate the community in responsible use and respond when violations are pointed out.

Each information technology resource-those existing on campus as well as external ones to which we are connected-has an owner. Attempts, even unsuccessful ones, to use or access any resource without the permission of the owner are a violation of this policy. All assessors must respect conditions of access and use stipulated by the owner. Although individuals are not the owners of accounts assigned to them (Hamline University is the owner), they are the owners of the files they create, and have rights to privacy and responsibilities to control access by others. You must respect others’ rights when you communicate with them over networks. Anything less than adherence to the letter and spirit of copyright laws and regulations is unethical and possibly illegal. Users must obtain permission of the creator or publisher to copy software written by others. Users must abide by license agreements controlling copying and use of software and data files of all kinds (text, audio, graphics, video, etc.)

University resources are provided solely for the education and research mission of Hamline University and may not be used for commercial or for-profit purposes. Users who express opinions and positions through the university’s IT resources must make clear that these opinions and positions are those of the individual who posts them, not of the university. Because Hamline University is the owner of all IT resources granted to users, the university reserves the right to deny use to those who have used them in an irresponsible manner. Offenders may also be subject to disciplinary action through existing structures for faculty, students and staff, as described in relevant handbooks.

People who use both on-campus and external network media (including any communication performed on the network for any purpose) must do so responsibly and in a manner that constitutes respectful behavior as defined in the faculty, staff, and student handbooks. It is unethical not to adhere to this type of behavior, even when communicating with people outside the Hamline community. For example, no form of harassment, as defined in the student, faculty and staff handbooks, will be tolerated within any media. In addition, all communications must include the sender’s complete network address, unless the service explicitly invites anonymous communication. If someone requests you stop communicating electronically with him/her, you are required to do so immediately.

Questions concerning this policy should be directed to the Chief Information Officer, 651-523-2630.

For the full, detailed listing of all technology related policies, go to http://www.hamline.edu/policies/technology-use.


Time Limits

Program Completion for Degree Program Students: Degree programs are to be completed within seven years, except for the DPA which must be completed with ten. In extenuating circumstances, the student may make a written request to the program chair/dean for an extension of the limit. The letter should outline the reasons for the request and a time line for completing degree requirements.

Program Completion for Non-Degree Students: Licensure program completion has no time limits; however, students should note that Hamline University retains the right to modify course planners to reflect program changes. If changes occur, students will be given one-year advance notice of the change.

Final Paper/Project: See chart below.


Thesis I and II
The Creative Writing Programs (MFA) Each thesis registration must be completed in one semester. If the student is unable to do so, he/she must re-register and pay for the course again.
Master’s Thesis School of Business 2 Terms
Capstone School of Business 1 Term
Dissertation I-V School of Business Dissertations should be completed within one-and-a-half to two years.
Capstone School of Education Students have three consecutive terms, starting with the term of registration, to complete the capstone. Students re-register if their capstones are not completed within three consecutive terms. The original capstone committee members are not obligated to continue. Students are eligible for one extra consecutive-term in the form of a capstone extension, which must be requested by the student.
Dissertation I-IV School of Education Dissertations must be completed within the seven-year program time limit. Extensions may be granted upon request to the department chair.



Transcripts of all Hamline University coursework (other than School of Law) can be obtained by submitting an online request in Piperline (www.hamline.edu/piperline) or by sending a signed request (see www.hamline.edu/ transcript).

For the protection of students and former students, transcripts will not be faxed and all transcript requests must be personally signed. No transcript will be released until all financial obligations to Hamline have been met.

Transcripts and other documents submitted from other institutions and agencies are the property of Hamline University and will not be reissued to applicants, students, alumni, or any other parties.


Transfer Credit/Credit Equivalencies

Transfer of Credit: Credit may be transferred onto a student’s graduate degree transcript from Hamline’s Graduate Continuing Studies program and from other accredited institutions subject to certain limitations. Grade points are not transferable to Hamline. In other words, approved transfer credit will not affect the Hamline GPA. All transfer credit must be earned at regionally accredited institutions.

Students may apply for credit transfer with the assistance of their advisor. The Application for Transfer Credit form is available from each program office. Official sealed transcripts, mailed directly from the other institution to the program office, are required to support transfer credit application. The program office, in conjunction with the registrar determines the eligibility of transfer-of-credit requests, which may be submitted once a student is advanced to candidacy. Transcripts and other documents submitted from other institutions or agencies are the property of Hamline University and will not be reissued to applicants, students, alumni, or any other party.

The chart below outlines various programs and transfer credit policies. Please contact the program office with specific questions.

Licensure Program Equivalencies: Students pursuing licensure may be granted equivalence for courses taken at other institutions. Courses are not transferred onto the student’s Hamline transcript. The equivalency is noted on the student’s course planner, an outline of a student’s requirements for completing the licensure program. Transfer of coursework for licensure standards, standards, or program requirements may be subject to change, if licensure requirements change.

Program Transfer Credit Limits Maximum Age of Transfer Credit Minimum Grade Requirements
MFA in Writing Up to 8 semester credits of graduate coursework from an outside institution may be used to fulfill elective requirements. 10 years prior to admission B (no P/S) MFA program approval is required.
MFA in Writing for Children & Young Adults Up to 2 residencies and 2 semesters (24 semester credits) may be transferred from other low-res MFA programs in writing for children & young adults. Up to 1 residency and 1 semester (12 credits) may be transferred from low-res MFA programs in writing. Up to 8 credits may be transferred from traditional residency MFA programs. 10 years prior to admission B (no P/S) MFA program approval is required.
EdD Up to 8 semester credits of coursework from an outside institution or up to 16 credits of 8000+ coursework from Hamline taken before admission may be used to fulfill elective requirements. 7 years prior to admission B (no P/S) Coursework must be post-master’s and may not be from an already earned degree. Chair approval is required.
MAEd Up to 5 semester credits of graduate coursework from an outside institution or up to 10 credits of graduate coursework from Hamline taken before admission may be used to fulfill elective requirements. 7 years prior to admission B (no P/S) Coursework may not be from an already earned degree.
MAEd: NSEE Up to 5 semester credits of graduate coursework from an outside institution or up to 10 credits of graduate coursework from Hamline taken before admission may be used to fulfill elective requirements. 7 years prior to admission B (no P/S) Coursework may not be from an already earned degree.
MAESL Up to 16 semester credits of graduate coursework from an outside institution or up to 27 credits from a Hamline license or certificate program taken before admission may be used to fulfill degree requirements. 7 years prior to admission B Faculty approval is required for approval of any coursework from an already earned degree.
MALED Up to 5 semester credits of graduate coursework from an outside institution or up to 10 credits of graduate coursework from Hamline taken before admission may be used to fulfill elective requirements. 7 years prior to admission B (no P/S) Coursework may not be from an already earned degree. Transfer credits can be Literacy-related courses only.
MAT Up to 8 semester credits from an outside institution may be used to fulfill the required professional education sequence. Additionally, students may be granted equivalence for license-area content  taken at other institutions. These courses are not transferred onto the student’s Hamline transcript. The equivalence is noted on the student’s learning contract, an outline of a student’s requirements for completing the licensure program. determined on a case-by-case basis B  
DPA Up to 8 semester credits at the doctoral level may be used to fulfill degree requirements. 10 years prior to admission B- (no P/S) The Program Director or Graduate Programs Advisor will review transfer credits to determine transfer credit equivalencies.
MBA, MPA, and MNM Up to 8 semester credits of graduate coursework from an outside institution may be used to fulfill degree requirements. 7 years prior to admission B- (no P/S) Coursework may not be from an already earned degree. The Program Director or Graduate Programs Advisor will review transfer credits to determine transfer credit equivalencies.


Tuition and Fees

Tuition: The Financial Policies and Procedures brochure contains current tuition and fee information. The brochure is updated annually and is available from the Student Administrative Services office or online at www.hamline.edu/studentaccounts.

Dual Program Tuition: Graduate students pursuing more than one program will be billed the tuition for their primary program until it is complete. Primary program hierarchy is as follows: (1) degree, (2) licensure, (3) certificate, (4) continuing studies.


  • Facilities Fee: This fee ($3.00/credit) supports the operating costs associated with the implementation of facility initiatives outlined in the strategic plan. This includes space utilization, renovation of current facilities, and construction of new facilities and preservation of open spaces.  These initiatives support all students whether physically on campus or not.
  • Technology Fee: This fee ($9.00/credit) helps support the operating costs associated with the continually increasing technology demands that students require.
  • Program Fees: New students who are fully admitted to a graduate degree or licensure program are charged a one-time program fee ($190 for degree and $150 for licensure) to be paid with the first term’s tuition.
  • Course Materials: Some courses may require additional materials. The cost for these materials may be added to the student’s account. Please contact the program for more specific information.
  • Other Fees: Occasionally, a fee to cover special materials, supplies, or food will be added to the cost of the course.


Withdrawing from a Program

Any student who wishes to withdraw completely from a program must notify the program office in writing.