2019-2020 Undergraduate Bulletin 
    Mar 30, 2023  
2019-2020 Undergraduate Bulletin [Archived Bulletin]

Initial Licensure: K-12 Dance and Theater

Return to {$returnto_text} Return to: School of Education

Teacher Licensure and Pathway to the Master of Arts in Teaching

All teaching candidates are advised that completion of the licensure program within a four-year time frame requires careful planning. Interested students should seek early advising from the Teacher Education program faculty to plan their program.

Requirements for licensure include pedagogy and methodology coursework at the graduate level (GED 7000-level courses). Education students are eligible to apply these credits toward Hamline’s Master of Arts in Teaching (MAT) program. This program allows for a seamless transition from undergraduate to graduate study. Students may complete their undergraduate degree requirements and graduate with a Bachelor’s degree before completing licensure requirements, then finish licensure work through the MAT program. Once all licensure requirements (including student teaching) have been completed, students are eligible to earn their Master’s degree by completing the 8-credit capstone sequence.

To pursue a licensure program, and to be eligible for the Pathway to MAT, students must be admitted to Teacher Education. Please see the School of Education  section for more information.   

Grade Policy

The cumulative GPA for all education coursework (EDU and GED) must be 3.0 or above. The cumulative GPA for content area coursework (life science, math, Spanish, etc.) must be 3.0 or above. Grades in GED courses must be B- or better to count toward the licensure program. Exceptions to the grading policy will be considered on a case by case basis. 


Initial Licensure Requirements

State Testing Requirements

  • MTLE: NES Essential Academic Skills Test (see your advisor for equivalents)
  • MTLE: Elementary K-6 or Secondary Pedagogy 5-12 (sub test 1 and sub test 2)
  • MTLE: Dance K-12 (sub test 1 and sub test 2)
  • MTLE: Theater K-12 (sub test 1 and sub test 2)

Content Requirements - Dance and Theater

Students pursuing this licence area should complete a Theatre Arts major. The requirements for licensure are not identical to the major requirements, please see the specific content course requirements listed below.

Return to {$returnto_text} Return to: School of Education